Author Topic: Milk being poured away  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milk being poured away
« on: Thursday 09 April 20 12:03 BST (UK) »
I can't believ milk is being poured away due to the covid-19 virus. Here in Wakefield, Morrisons supermarket stopped selling 6 pint bottles of milk in favour of 4 pint bottles, restriction were also put on most food product of two per person.

This of course meant more trips to the supermarket per week to buy milk.

I now read-

Milk crisis talks with environment secretary

11:35 today "Dairy farmers' representatives have called for a crisis meeting with Environment Secretary George Eustice as some start to pour away milk due to collapsing markets.

The National Farmers' Union (NFU) said on Thursday that the survival of many dairy farming businesses depends on urgent government action with at least 2,000 dairy farmers suffering severe financial pressure "and that number is growing by the day".

The union said that the coronavirus crisis had seen the almost complete loss of the food service and hospitality markets, as well as increasing global price volatility.

It said this has led to some dairy farmers with no other option but to dispose of milk on their farms."

If it is being poured away there is no shortage, if it is due to supermarkets policies they should change their policy.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Milk being poured away
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
I totally agree - food should not be thrown away. We have just returned from an abandoned shopping trip due to the huge queues outside our local supermarket. The weather is not too good here today and standing in damp conditions for a lengthy period is not too clever. We were commenting on the way home that with their very restrictive practices it must be impossible for these supermarkets to sell the normal quantity of food. Panic buying seems to have been dealt with but perhaps the next big issue is going to be over limited access to food stocks.

If the current severe lockdown is to be continued beyond this weekend the Government and the food industry need to address this problem.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 20 12:42 BST (UK) »
All the coffee shops are closed, do you know how much milk they used? All that milky coffee, not to mention the cream cakes.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 20 12:52 BST (UK) »

In the past 3 weeks, there's been mass food wastage in the UK. Bin men taking photos of household rubbish filled with bread, eggs, meat, etc. An elderly man has died due to starvation because he's had to self isolate and not been able to get essentials. Nurses have not been able to get essentials and food because there's nothing left due to panic buyers. Stupid people holding parties and ignoring social distancing and isolation. A party was broken up last Saturday with 25 adults and children. 3 women holding a party were arrested because they spit on Police. I'm honestly ashamed to be in this country
Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Confusion, if you are doing the right thing there is no reason to be ashamed. Every society has its share of sociopaths.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
In my opinion it as sheer greed to panic buy to such an extent, a lot of money has been wasted, peoples own money I might add but nevertheless a waste, I didn't panic by, it all happened a bit to quickly for me, didn't get any shopping slots but we are managing, and we are of the older brigade who was supposed to get shopping slots, we will all come out of this hopefully more sensible when it comes to food buying

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 April 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
Queued for 45 minutes today to get into Morrison's, snaking backwards and forwards along the front and sides of the building, between barriers.  All people very patient, no-one complaining.  We all watched the plant department assistants moving boxes of pansies etc to fill up the gaps on the shelves.  Once inside, there seemed to be no rationing on anything now - even Easter eggs were on BOGOF offer.  Buying groceries for my elderly neighbours has taken me into aisles I never usually venture - the gin aisle, the tonic aisle, the leg of lamb aisle  ;)  Skimmed milk is back on sale having been missing for nearly two weeks (for neighbours, I can't say I like white water). 

Other elderly neighbours drove 20 miles last week to do a "grab and go" collection at an organic farm shop, more for the ride out I think :o  Did that purchase mean the farm shop will stay in business or would it be considered non-essential travel, bearing in mind that there are 3 Co-op shops, Morrison's, Aldi and M&S Simply Food within 3 miles from home?

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Queued for 45 minutes today to get into Morrison's, snaking backwards and forwards along the front and sides of the building, between barriers.  All people very patient, no-one complaining.  We all watched the plant department assistants moving boxes of pansies etc to fill up the gaps on the shelves.  Once inside, there seemed to be no rationing on anything now - even Easter eggs were on BOGOF offer.  Buying groceries for my elderly neighbours has taken me into aisles I never usually venture - the gin aisle, the tonic aisle, the leg of lamb aisle  ;)  Skimmed milk is back on sale having been missing for nearly two weeks (for neighbours, I can't say I like white water). 

Other elderly neighbours drove 20 miles last week to do a "grab and go" collection at an organic farm shop, more for the ride out I think :o  Did that purchase mean the farm shop will stay in business or would it be considered non-essential travel, bearing in mind that there are 3 Co-op shops, Morrison's, Aldi and M&S Simply Food within 3 miles from home?

Travel is not essential or non essential if one is travelling for essential items, food, medicines, exercise the travel is allowed, if travel is to admire the scenery, give the car a run etc. the reason is not essential so is banned.

That is set out in Statutory Instrument date 2020 No. 350

"Restrictions on movement

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—

(a)to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, or to obtain money, including from any business listed in Part 3 of Schedule 2;

(b)to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;

(c)to seek medical assistance, including to access any of the services referred to in paragraph 37 or 38 of Schedule 2;

(d)to provide care or assistance, including relevant personal care within the meaning of paragraph 7(3B) of Schedule 4 to the Safeguarding of Vulnerable Groups Act 2006(1), to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance;

(e)to donate blood;

(f)to travel for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living;

(g)to attend a funeral of—

(i)a member of the person’s household,

(ii)a close family member, or

(iii)if no-one within sub-paragraphs (i) or (ii) are attending, a friend;

(h)to fulfil a legal obligation, including attending court or satisfying bail conditions, or to participate in legal proceedings;

(i)to access critical public services, including—

(i)childcare or educational facilities (where these are still available to a child in relation to whom that person is the parent, or has parental responsibility for, or care of the child);

(ii)social services;

(iii)services provided by the Department of Work and Pensions;

(iv)services provided to victims (such as victims of crime);

(j)in relation to children who do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents, to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children, and for the purposes of this paragraph, “parent” includes a person who is not a parent of the child, but who has parental responsibility for, or who has care of, the child;

(k)in the case of a minister of religion or worship leader, to go to their place of worship;

(l)to move house where reasonably necessary;

(m)to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm.

(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1), the place where a person is living includes the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises.

(4) Paragraph (1) does not apply to any person who is homeless."

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying, Guy, I won't be the one to tell them!