Author Topic: Milk being poured away  (Read 2592 times)

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Milk being poured away
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
I am sure initially we didn't realise how many industries were going to be affected by the virus, there must be many more, very sad for all concerned

I live near a town where one big departmental store might close, if that does the whole town will be affected, we have already lost our M & S

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 April 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
We've managed always to have a regular doorstep delivery, always have had. One less thing to worry about.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 April 20 21:10 BST (UK) »
  I have always had a doorstep delivery, and have bought a bit extra to freeze, just in case, and also to make yoghurt. My main supply problem has been my regular large tubs of Greek yoghurt, and home-made is just not the same, apart from using up a lot of milk. (Though it sounds as if that will be a good thing!)
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 April 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
Someone must be throwing all the eggs away as well because they are certainly not getting to the supermarkets near me.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 April 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the source of milk can't be turned off but, due entirely to loss of its markets, the amount of milk being produced is no longer required.
It's a sad, but unavoidable, consequence of what is happening.
However, we must do our best to support our farmers and I would urge everyone to, where possible, to buy British (Welsh/Scottish/ N. Irish) produce.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 April 20 22:29 BST (UK) »
All the coffee shops are closed, do you know how much milk they used? All that milky coffee, not to mention the cream cakes.

As I am not working away from home during the current lockdown I eat fewer snacks (including cream cakes!) but I find myself drinking far more tea and coffee at home than I did when out at work.  My milk intake (in whatever form) is almost certainly higher.

Presumably not everyone is like me, otherwise the demand for milk would not have decreased.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 April 20 05:39 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the source of milk can't be turned off but, due entirely to loss of its markets, the amount of milk being produced is no longer required.
It's a sad, but unavoidable, consequence of what is happening.
However, we must do our best to support our farmers and I would urge everyone to, where possible, to buy British (Welsh/Scottish/ N. Irish) produce.
 :)

Yes there has been some loss of market but that has also be made worse by some supermarkets artificially  reducing their sales of milk by cancelling (automatically due to a flaw in the computer controlled order system which has not been bypassed in Morrisons case) what was their normal order of 6 pint bottles of milk.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 April 20 09:12 BST (UK) »
Queued for 45 minutes today to get into Morrison's, snaking backwards and forwards along the front and sides of the building, between barriers.  All people very patient, no-one complaining.  We all watched the plant department assistants moving boxes of pansies etc to fill up the gaps on the shelves.  Once inside, there seemed to be no rationing on anything now - even Easter eggs were on BOGOF offer.  Buying groceries for my elderly neighbours has taken me into aisles I never usually venture - the gin aisle, the tonic aisle, the leg of lamb aisle  ;)  Skimmed milk is back on sale having been missing for nearly two weeks (for neighbours, I can't say I like white water). 

Other elderly neighbours drove 20 miles last week to do a "grab and go" collection at an organic farm shop, more for the ride out I think :o  Did that purchase mean the farm shop will stay in business or would it be considered non-essential travel, bearing in mind that there are 3 Co-op shops, Morrison's, Aldi and M&S Simply Food within 3 miles from home?

Travel is not essential or non essential if one is travelling for essential items, food, medicines, exercise the travel is allowed, if travel is to admire the scenery, give the car a run etc. the reason is not essential so is banned.

That is set out in Statutory Instrument date 2020 No. 350

"Restrictions on movement

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—

(a)to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, or to obtain money, including from any business listed in Part 3 of Schedule 2;

(b)to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;

(c)to seek medical assistance, including to access any of the services referred to in paragraph 37 or 38 of Schedule 2;

(d)to provide care or assistance, including relevant personal care within the meaning of paragraph 7(3B) of Schedule 4 to the Safeguarding of Vulnerable Groups Act 2006(1), to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance;

(e)to donate blood;

(f)to travel for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living;

(g)to attend a funeral of—

(i)a member of the person’s household,

(ii)a close family member, or

(iii)if no-one within sub-paragraphs (i) or (ii) are attending, a friend;

(h)to fulfil a legal obligation, including attending court or satisfying bail conditions, or to participate in legal proceedings;

(i)to access critical public services, including—

(i)childcare or educational facilities (where these are still available to a child in relation to whom that person is the parent, or has parental responsibility for, or care of the child);

(ii)social services;

(iii)services provided by the Department of Work and Pensions;

(iv)services provided to victims (such as victims of crime);

(j)in relation to children who do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents, to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children, and for the purposes of this paragraph, “parent” includes a person who is not a parent of the child, but who has parental responsibility for, or who has care of, the child;

(k)in the case of a minister of religion or worship leader, to go to their place of worship;

(l)to move house where reasonably necessary;

(m)to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm.

(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1), the place where a person is living includes the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises.

(4) Paragraph (1) does not apply to any person who is homeless."

Cheers
Guy

Is the law saying we are restricted to only going to our nearest shop for food.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 April 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
Our household milk consumption has halved during the lockdown but because of short supply, not lack of demand! We have learnt to manage with less by not making milk puddings or milk based sauces and by eating less breakfast cereal.

All these shortages are short term logistics issues; people will eat much the same quantity of food whether in the home or out. Unfortunately, giant corporations are not as flexible as small business and take longer to change course, but I'm sure they will eventually. Probably just as things are returning to normal and they have to change back again  ::)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent