Author Topic: Duffy Birth 1943, Derry  (Read 1211 times)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duffy Birth 1943, Derry
« on: Thursday 09 April 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction.  I am trying to research my Son in Law's family but have never researched in Northern Ireland before so am at a loss.  The details that I have are that his Grandfather's name was Seamus or James Duffy who was born on 13th January 1943 in Derry.  He had 19 siblings or was 1 of 19, it is thought that only 9 survived infancy.  His Dad died we think before 1960 and his Mum within 6 months.  Some siblings stayed in Ireland but some moved or were sent to England.  Some names for his siblings that we have are Harry (was a Priest in Ireland) and Eddie (came to England), Margaret and Rosalyn (both stayed in Ireland) and some emigrated to Canada. Eddie was the youngest and Seamus/James the second youngest of all the children.  Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance,

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy Birth 1943, Derry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 20 04:22 BST (UK) »
Happy to help.  The general rule is to start with yourself or your son inlaw and then track back. 

When and where was your son in law born? You may need to get a long copy of the birth certificate

Who are his parents?  Usually their names will be on his birth certificate.  Could you pl put their names as shown on the bc up here. I am assuming the parents are both dead?  Have you got their death certificates? 

I have just got a bit confused with the dates in the post.

Was it the father who was one of 19 (9 living) or the grandfather?

Might be that I am missing something but I cannot get it straight that the grandfather was born in 1943 but who had a son who died in 1960 who had your son in law. Is that correct? or was it the granddfather's father ie the father of James/Seamus Duffy who died in 1960?

Perhaps the father was born in 1943 and the grandfather died in 1960 perhaps followed by the grandmother?? six months later ie 1960 or 1961? Anyway could you please check

Do you have any idea where in Ireland the family was from? Do you have an idea that the family is from Count Derry?  What are the clues you have about this location?

Do you have any idea of the occupation of the father?

Any idea of the religion?

PS You have given us some names and birth order and that is a clue but are these your son in law's family, his father's siblings or his grandfather's siblings?

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 April 20 04:36 BST (UK) »
There is a Rosalind Duffey born 1897 in Killyleagh in Co Down.  Her father was Thomas, a hairdresser  and mother Jane Magreevy Duffey. 

from this site
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

My other go to site is
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Also Griffiths valuation
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

But the dates need clarifying  before we can search these links

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 April 20 04:56 BST (UK) »

Looking for people who are or could be still living is not allowed on rootschat.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 April 20 04:59 BST (UK) »

Looking for people who are or could be still living is not allowed on rootschat.

Yes that is why I am seeking clarity on the dates.

OP please put the names/dates of only deceased relatives of your son in law.  Am assuming your sil is still alive?

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 April 20 05:00 BST (UK) »
There are several infant Duffy births from around Dublin in the 1940/50s. 

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 April 20 07:02 BST (UK) »

I am trying to research my Son in Law's family but have never researched in Northern Ireland before so am at a loss.  The details that I have are that his Grandfather's name was Seamus or James Duffy who was born on 13th January 1943 in Derry. 

GRONI is the only repository for birth, death and marriage records in what is now Northern Ireland, from 1.1.1922 onwards. (Ancestry and other websites don’t have them).

Births in Northern Ireland within the past 100 years, marriages within the past 75 and deaths within the past 50 aren’t searchable on-line. They are open to the public, just not on-line. If you know all the key details eg exact date and place of birth, you can order a copy of a certificate from GRONI for £15. https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

But, as has been already explained, we can only assist you find information on ancestors who are dead. If they are still alive (or might be), no information should be discussed.
Elwyn

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 April 20 08:20 BST (UK) »
Just adding to what Elwyn has already said.

You need to contact GRONI when COVID-19 and the lockdown is over.

See https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/contacts-az/general-register-office-northern-ireland

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 April 20 17:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.  The names are all my son in law's grandfather (Seamus, later went by James 1943-2000) as far as we are aware he moved to England after the death of his parents, and died in 2000 in Yorkshire.  His Brother Eddie also moved to England, and sadly died (cannot find his death but drowned) again in Yorkshire. As far as we know these 2 were the youngest 2 of the 19 and were sent to England whilst children/teens.  The only other sibling names we know are Harry who became a priest in Ireland and has since died, and Margaret and Rosalyn who stayed in Ireland and we are not aware of whether they are still alive.  We only know that they came from Derry but no other details.  Both of Seamus's parents died within a few months of one another and we think that they were sent to England after these deaths, some siblings went to Canada. I will try and get in touch with GRONI after Corona has gone and see if they can help with Seamus's birth certificate.  As he is passed, I assume that they (if they can find it) would be able to help.  Would I need to have his death certificate to prove he is passed?  As in a lot of cases, because of the sad events that lead to the children being split, a lot of the details were not discussed and those that were often became like chinese whispers where details became confused.

Many thanks for the pointers, I will update if I find any more information

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend