Author Topic: John Simmons?  (Read 558 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
John Simmons?
« on: Thursday 09 April 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the parents for John Simmons/Simmonds.

He marries Hannah Bakewell by banns 21 Mar 1814 Whitwick, Leicestershire.

They then go onto have the following children -
John 1814 Whitwick, son of John Simmons, FWK, and Hannah living at Whitwick.
Thomas 1816 Leicester St Margarets, son of John Simmons, FWK, and Hannah living at Sanvy Gate.
James 1819 Leicester St Margarets, son of John Simmons, FWK, and Hannah living at Sanvy Gate.
A Sarah is listed on census as born in 1820 but I can find no baptism.
Hannah 1821 Leicester St Margarets, dau of John Simmons, FWK, and Hannah living at Sanvy Gate.
James 1822 Leicester St Margarets, Son of John Simmons, FWK, and Hannah living at Sanvy Gate.
Mary 1823 Leicester St Margarets, Dau of John Simmons, FWK, and Hannah living at Sanvy Gate.
James 1826 Leicester St Margarets, Dau of John Simmons, FWK, and Hannah living at Sanvy Gate.

John Simmons is buried 11 March 1827 Leicester St Margarets 'John Simmons of Sanvy Gate aged 66'

Johns birth date according to burial is 1761, so interestingly when he married Hannah Bakewell in 1814 he was 53 and she was 22.
Hannah goes onto marry George Wetherall in 1828 Leicester St Margarets 'Hannah Simmonds, Widow'

I cant seem to find a comfortable baptism for John. I'm not sure if he is the same John Simmons who previously marries Sarah How 1784 Whitwick, Leicestershire.
'John Simmons of this Parish and Sarah How/Hew of this Parish were married by Banns'
(There is also a record for this marriage in 1796? I assume a clerical error?)

I can see these baptisms for this couple -
Mary Simmons 1787 Whitwick, son of John and Sarah Simmons.
John Simmons 1797 Whitwick, son of John and Sarah Simmons. Buried 1799 Whitwick 'John Simmons'?
John Simmons 1802 Whitwick, son of John and Sarah Simmons.
There is a burial in 1811 for a Sarah Simmons in Whitwick but doesn't say whether a wife or not?
Given Johns age compared to Hannah I assume he was married previously so this fits but I notice that I cant see a burial for son John bapt 1802 and he has a son John in 1814 with Hannah?

I notice that John keeps naming a son James at least 3 times so there may be a family connection with that name.
A James Simmons of Thringstone (Small village near Whitwick) is buried in Whitwick 1825 aged
57 so a birthdate of 1768. Could this be a brother to John?

I can only see one baptism in this period in Whitwick for Simmons/Simons.

Thomas, son of Thomas Simons and Mary baptised 1762 Whitwick.
I cant see a marriage for a Thomas and Mary.

There are 2 marriages in Whitwick in this era.
Hannah Simmons of Whitwick parish marries James Oliver of Whitwick parish 27 Jun 1796.
Mary Simmons of Whitwick parish and Sampson Sills of Whitwick parish 20 Oct 1806. (Perhaps the Mary bapt to John and Sarah?)

John could be the John Simmons of Cossington, Leicestershire (13 miles from Whitwick) bapt 1761 son of Robert and Judith. Im not too sure though as there does appear to be a Simmons/Simons family in Whitwick.

Any help appreciated.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Simmons?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 02:04 BST (UK) »
Possibly relevant, Leicester Poor Law Index (CD) has the following

Records Office Reference: 40/39/76
Settlement Examination 1792
Parish 1: Whitwick
Parish 2: Desborough, Northants
John Simmons
Thomas Simmon
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 02:28 BST (UK) »
I can't readily find the Sarah Simmons you refer to but this may or may not be relevant, from the Leicester Quarter Sessions CD:

Removal Order, 18 Jun 1830
Sarah Simmons aged 16. 
Parish 1: Leicester St Margaret
Parish 2: Desborough, Northants

Sticking with Desborough, there is a marriage 15 Jun 1761 between Thomas Simmons & Mary Gilliver, both otp

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
I think you may have something there.

Is that settlement exam in 1792 for John and Thomas Simmons to be Whitwick to Desborough or vice versa?

I can see that in 1763 Desborough.
A John Simmons was baptised to Thomas and Mary. I think this is my John given that the date is very close to what his burial record states and the fact Desborough and Whitwick are mentioned in regards to the Simmons.

I couldnt see a baptism for daughter Sarah,she just gives in census that she is born abt 1820 so that could be her in 1831.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 11:12 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the notes accompanying the CD aren't really clear about the meaning of the 1st Parish/2nd Parish Columns.

For the Poor Law Indexes it says:

"This is a copy of the original index produced in 2003 on the first Poor Law CD and covers all the Poor Law cases found on the 20,000 Index Cards in the ROLLR.   The information has been extracted from records found in the Parish Chests of the individual parishes – with over 30,500 entries, this is the largest index"

The only other note is that for the Quarter Session records, like the one mentioning Sarah, the 1st Parish is the main one mentioned in the document.