Author Topic: Gaffney / Beattie  (Read 4595 times)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gaffney / Beattie
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 12 April 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Also just thinking is it possible Mary and Mr Gaffney weren't married? as I can't find anything at all :/ and maybe just listed themselves as married due to having 2 children out of wedlock? Only thing is she died a Gaffney but would they have needed proof of the marriage?
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 13 April 20 00:26 BST (UK) »
You would be surprised how many marriages were never registered, still occasionally happens.

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 13 April 20 00:27 BST (UK) »
Oh double bugger :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 04 May 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
Out of the blue I got a phone call from a cousin ( she was a Beattie before she married) who I haven't spoken to for a year or so. I was telling her about the Gaffney/Beattie thread but she wasn't aware of the Gaffney name at all. Her father John Beattie was from Leitrim but she never really knew much about his Irish roots. He died in Ealing in 1989.
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 04 May 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
Out of the blue I got a phone call from a cousin ( she was a Beattie before she married) who I haven't spoken to for a year or so. I was telling her about the Gaffney/Beattie thread but she wasn't aware of the Gaffney name at all. Her father John Beattie was from Leitrim but she never really knew much about his Irish roots. He died in Ealing in 1989.

Thank you for asking! Did she know if her father had any siblings at all?

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 04 May 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
No probs, John Beattie was born in 1916 and had 3 sisters and 2 brothers. He married my Mum’s sister Anna Louise Wilson, known as my Auntie Lily, she was in the WAAFs. I did write down the names in my book but not at hand at the moment. She said Margaret was one of his siblings.
My family used to visit my cousin’s family at weekends when they lived in West London when I was young. :)
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 04 May 20 22:58 BST (UK) »
No probs, John Beattie was born in 1916 and had 3 sisters and 2 brothers. He married my Mum’s sister Anna Louise Wilson, known as my Auntie Lily, she was in the WAAFs. I did write down the names in my book but not at hand at the moment. She said Margaret was one of his siblings.
My family used to visit my cousin’s family at weekends when they lived in West London when I was young. :)

I did do a quick search on John Beattie and his siblings and indeed there was a Margaret but would she be called nicknamed 'Mary'? I don't suppose you would know where in West London?

Sorry for all the questions!

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 06:59 BST (UK) »
John Beattie lived in Ealing W5, I do have the exact address but don’t want to post publicly.
John’s sisters were Margaret ,Josie and Edna ? (My cousin was unsure of her exact number). His brothers were called Walter and Tommy.
Don’t know whether Margaret was referred to as Mary.
Uncle John and family only lived 5 miles from my family when I was young, we enjoyed our occasional Sunday afternoon visits to see them.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 12:37 BST (UK) »
Her father John Beattie was from Leitrim but she never really knew much about his Irish roots.

......John Beattie was born in 1916 and had 3 sisters and 2 brothers.

Might this be the John Beattie mentioned?
John William Beattie born 19 January 1916 at Shannagh, Mohill, Co Leitrim. MMN Costelloe
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1916/01351/1557293.pdf

Shannagh townland
https://www.townlands.ie/leitrim/mohill/mohill/mohill/shannagh/

I did do a quick search on John Beattie and his siblings and indeed there was a Margaret but would she be called nicknamed 'Mary'? 

If so, birth of a sibling Margaret Mary on 4 June 1910
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1910/01558/1629508.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo