Author Topic: Mary Scovell  (Read 615 times)

Offline sianone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Scovell
« on: Friday 10 April 20 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
I am trying to find the parents of Mary Scovell.  On 19th May 1807, she married Joseph Child of Sheering in Essex and her residence was Marylebone, Westminster at that time, and she was over 21.  In 1827 her 5 boys (William 1812, Nathaniel 1813, James 1813, Joseph 1819, John 1821) were left orphaned.  All Josephs (the elder) siblings had died.
In the 1841 census, three of the boys are in Hampshire and married Scovells. William in Romsey married to Rachel Scovell (he migrated to Australia after the census), Nathaniel is in Swathling Pollack married to Caroline Scovell, and Joseph is also in Swathling Pollack and marries Sarah Scovell much later. So I am thinking that they moved to Hampshire after their parents died, where their closest relatives would be i.e. Mary's family. 
There is also evidence of Child family members living in Hampshire but nothing concrete.  My mother also talked a lot about Joseph Child owning oyster beds in Hampshire and his uncle being a mayor.  As Joseph (the elder) was a landholder (freehold, as he appears in the 1810 poll book - Sheering) I presume the children would have legacies. I find this rather strange as he was a shoemaker (master cordwainer) so I think he must have had fingers in a lot of pies or some other means of income.  Also, I have 'bits' of info about the Scovells being merchants around Southampton and maybe the Childs in London
 Witnesses of the marriage were William Robinson, who appears to be from Essex and be a Merchant.  Leonora Orella, I have nothing on.
So back to the main question  ;D Who were Mary's parents and where and when was she born? 
Thanks in anticipation.  Stay safe everyone.
Sian

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Scovell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in Carisbrooke

Mary Scovell 8 March 1789 Carisbrooke parents Barnabas and Mary.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 April 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
A few questions spring to mind and the answers might help (or might not  :-\ )

When and where did Joseph Child die?  Did he leave a will?  And what about Mary - did she die after Joseph and perhaps leave a will?

Are the three Scovell ladies who married the three brothers related to each other?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sianone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 April 20 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies Emeltom and Little Nell.  I have looked at the baptism in Carisbrook but that Mary seems to marry someone else.  I can't find the name at the moment, I have so many notes everywhere!

Joseph died in 1822 and Mary died in 1827, both in Sheering.  I haven't been able to find a Will for either of them which I found unusual as he owned a freehold property.  I can't say whether the three Scovell ladies were related.  I am having trouble unravelling the connections.  Any help or suggestions gratefully received!

Offline sianone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 20 08:27 BST (UK) »
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Mary's name is Shovell and that there was an error on the marriage entry.  However, that name has no connection with Hampshire as Scovell does, therefore it negates the reason why the boys ended up there.  I am still trying to find the connection between the 3 Scovells that the boys married.