Author Topic: Margaret RYAN b Waterford abt 1832 - how to narrow down  (Read 1198 times)

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Margaret RYAN b Waterford abt 1832 - how to narrow down
« on: Friday 10 April 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My previous related posting about this person is here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=818980.msg6811519#msg6811519

In desperation I've bought a 1 month subscription to roots ireland, to see if I can find more while we are all confined to home.

My question is ... how do I narrow this down. 

The following is the information I have, and I'd like to find some way to narrow this down, but with little knowledge of the practical geography of Waterford, never mind in 1850, I don't know enough to be able to take a guess about which parish I'm looking for (assuming that one of these is my person).

The site shows 4 people with the 'right parent's names' per her marriage certificate and her death certificate (although the death cert is confusing, but I'm going with John as her father's name as I figure that came from her own direct knowledge, not that of her children after her death nearly 70 years later), she lists her father's profession as Carpenter on her marriage cert:

1) Microfilm 02457 / 04 | Page 45

Ardfinnan; County of Tipperary; Diocese of Waterford and Lismore. Baptisms, Sep. 1832 to Nov. 1832

Name:    Margaret Ryan
Date of Baptism: 20-Sep-1832
Parish/District:    ARDFINNAN
County    Co. Waterford
Denomination:    Roman Catholic
Father:    John Ryan
Mother:    Margaret Power
Informant 1:    John Morrisey
Informant 2:    Mary Farrel

2)  Microfilm 02457 / 07 | Page 59

Ballylooby; County of Tipperary; Diocese of Waterford and Lismore. Baptisms, Nov. 1832 to Dec. 1832

Date of Baptism:    04-Dec-1832
Parish/District:    BALLYLOOBY
County    Co. Waterford
Mother:    Margaret Maughton
Informant 1:    Patrick Hogan
Informant 2:    Margaret Laudrigan

3)  Microfilm 02467 / 03 | Page 113

Cappoquin; County of Waterford; Diocese of Waterford and Lismore. Baptisms, July 1832 to Sep. 1832

Date of Baptism:    20-Sep-1832
Parish/District:    CAPPOQUIN
County    Co. Waterford
Mother:    Margaret Ryan
Informant 1:    Nicholas O'Gorman
Informant 2:    Ryan Angela P

4) Microfilm 02461 / 03 | Page 103

St. Mary's, Clonmel; Counties of Tipperary, Waterford; Diocese of Waterford and Lismore. Baptisms, July 1829 to Aug. 1829

Date of Baptism:    07-Aug-1829
Parish/District:    ST MARY'S CLONMEL
County    Co. Waterford
Mother:    Margaret Ryan
Informant 1:    Philip Sately Cahil
Informant 2:    Ellen

She married John BLEACH in 1851, he had been in the 85th which was based in Dunvargan Castle between 1849 and 1851 in Yorkshire in 1851, and lists her age as 19 on her marriage certificate, so I did a search for Margaret RYAN b Waterford 1830 +/- 5 years.

"1849 Aug 12
85th Regt. Of Foot Shropshire Light Infantry

1850 Jan 21
85th Regt. Of Foot Shropshire Light Infantry"

http://www.waterfordmuseum.ie/exhibit/web/Display/article/345/1/The_Crown_Forces_Garrison_Regiments.html

I've tried checking whether any of the parishes listed above is close to Dunvargan, and the answer is ... not really, with the 1829 listing seeming closest, but I am sure that she would have put her age as 22 on her marriage docs if she was really 22 and not 19, but that is just my own speculation ...

Any assistance appreciated!

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/

guest189040

Re: Margaret RYAN b Waterford abt 1832 - how to narrow down
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 20 13:32 BST (UK) »
You have made good progress so far.

Do you have Census returns for Margaret?

If so do any also include relatives ie sister, cousin, aunt, uncle etc

If they do then expanding trees on each of the four possibles could help to narrow it down.

I have had success with this with my own family, its a fair amount of work but could be work it.

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 20 08:33 BST (UK) »
You have made good progress so far.

Do you have Census returns for Margaret?

If so do any also include relatives ie sister, cousin, aunt, uncle etc

If they do then expanding trees on each of the four possibles could help to narrow it down.

I have had success with this with my own family, its a fair amount of work but could be work it.

Hi there,

Thanks Colin for the excellent suggestions :)

I have only her 1851 one in Yorkshire, which shows her as:

"Servant, Cooks Row, Scarborough, Yorkshire, England" born in Ireland.

There don't seem to be census returns (or alternatives) for Waterford, certainly not until she left for Ireland, possibly also after.

I've tried searching the other records I have found (directories, etc), but haven't found John Ryan, carpenter.

Her mother's name is listed as Margaret Ann on her death notice, but it didn't seem standard to record second names on parish records, as I've not found a Margaret Ann Ryan or a Margaret Ann marrying a Ryan either  ???

Almost immediately after her marriage to John Bleach the 85th left England, both of them left with the Regiment, and never returned.

In terms of family, I only have the names of her parents - per her death certificate, I think my only other option is to try finding RYAN's born to John and Margaret in that timeframe with the names she gave to her children to try to narrow it down.

Any other suggestions or guesses as to which areas are geographically more likely than others (of the 4 I've found) would be welcome, as I have little understanding of the social history of Waterford at that time, and therefore little idea of how much I could realistically expect people to move around in search of work, etc ...

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/

guest189040

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
It will probably be advantageous if you have not done so to concentrate on her Husband and his military activities.

To give an example, my 2xGreat Grandfather James was a shoemaker who joined the Militia and ended up in the 36th Foot which were posted to Ireland where he met Alice who was born in Warerford, they were married in an RC church and I have only recently found her surname and Farther’s name.

Their first son was born in Dublin, the 36th then returned to England before being posted to India where the whole family must have gone since my Great Grandfather William was born there.

On the return the England James re-enlisted and I have copies of his Attestation records.  A few years later William also enlisted and was in the Bore War in South Africa, he was in South Africa when his Wife died shortly after giving birth to my Grandmother.

Knowing the history of the Regiment and the military service helped in filling in the blanks as to why census records did not exist.  It also enabled me to expand the family tree sideways and to find a Cousin who shares James and William as GGrandfathers.

Knowing the details can often help in other less obvious ways since in the above example children were farmed out to relatives and what census records that exist helped narrow down the tree.

Good luck