Author Topic: Greenslade / Francis Bath Somerset  (Read 864 times)

Offline Quinnh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenslade / Francis Bath Somerset
« on: Friday 10 April 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,  :) I am a newbie, a little nervous! I hope I get this correct!  Many thanks in advance for any help that you can offer. 
So, My Great Grandmother is Lavinia Sarah Francis 1868-1951 she is a foundling and was adopted along with her sister by Solomon and Emily Francis in 1876 (of the Francis Hotel Queen Square Bath).  They already had children of their own.
I visited Bath Records office and was helped to find a fabulous book from the board of governors and in it is says 16 Day February 1876 meeting of the board of governors Mr Solomon Francis was permitted to adopt deserted child in the workhouse - Lilly Blanch 5 years old.  Then in another book - 8 March 1876 Solomon Francis was permitted to adopt the sister of the child adopted 3 weeks ago.   
The girls were baptised on 30 April 1876 St Paul Bath Somerset.  Lavinia Sarah Francis and Emily Martin Francis.  (Martin was the maiden name of Emily Francis) Both listed as founding’s. 
Family story goes that the girls were disowned by the Francis family when my Grandmother Lavinia Married the Town Postman,  Herbert Greenslade.  Feb 1890.
This seems to be true as I can find no mention or connections, I have seen newspaper articles of funeral details and I also have seen the wills of both sides.  I was thinking that maybe someone would write that they did not want anything to go to etc but no mention at all? 
My cousin recently found a suitcase of old family letter (I know how amazing!) one of them from My great aunt mentions a man William Blanch coming to Bath asking questions about his relatives, he was apparently asking my Grandmother Doris James who sadly had dementia so no one knew whether what she was saying was true.  But William Blanch must have been a sibling of the adopted girls!! 
I have been told that the workhouse records were destroyed so cant go back that way.  I am just curious that the Francis family seemed to be quite popular in Bath but I cant find any photos or much information about them at all.  Emily had a lot of Boarding houses in Queen Square and Bennetts Street Bath and Solomon was a glass merchant and painter.  I can find them in the directories but was just hoping to find out why they would adopt in the first place and if indeed the girls were disowned because of the marriage?
Can anyone point me in any useful direction?  Or should I give up?  I went to the Francis hotel and being a chain group they had nothing, apart from a plaque on the wall! Thanks again for reading my story! 

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Greenslade / Francis Bath Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 20 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Quinnh and welcome to RootsChat!

I've had a look at the Bath Union workhouse 1871 census and can't see any children with surname BLANCH (or similar). Or children with a sibling "William" that might fit the ages of your girls. However, of course, they may not have been in the Workhouse in 1871.

I'm assuming since they were "foundlings" their births would still be registered. But again difficult as the surname may not have been BLANCH. There is a family with children born around the right timeframe registered at Wincanton (a fair way from Bath though) - mother's maiden name RAWLINGS, including a William born 1868. They appear in the 1871 census with their grandparents John and Elizabeth RAWLINGS (GBC/1871/2421/0038 ) but the child whose birth is similar to your Emily is still with them in 1881 - so not them I would think.

Don't give up! Lots of knowledgeable people here who may be able to give you some more ideas!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 20 06:38 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there was some earlier falling out between Solomon FRANCIS and his adopted daughters. I notice in his daughter's marriage notice - Mary is an "only" daughter.

"Aug. 1, by license, at St. Paul's, by the Rev. F. A. Morgan, Edwin, youngest son of William Ponter, to Mary S. Lavinia, only daughter of Solomon Francis, both of this city."
Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, Wednesday,  Aug. 8, 1883

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 20 08:05 BST (UK) »
Also should mention there are many items in newspapers of the day mentioning Solomon, some flattering, some not so - as can be expected I suppose if you go into public life.  :)

If you don't have access to a newspaper search, I could copy a few for you.

Offline Quinnh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, I had also found the 'Rawlings' and thought that this must be them but nothing comes up on any searches and as you say it is quite far away.  I have looked at servants who were living with them at the time and also Solomon and Emily's brother and sisters to see if they could have adopted to help out family.  I don't have access to newspapers so would be fascinated to see anything you can find.  I did have a look at some in the Bath records office - mainly old copies of the Bath Chronicle but wasn't able to find a great deal.  Again, thankyou for your time and help. Kind regards x