Author Topic: Diary > Friday 10th April  (Read 1750 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 10th April
« on: Friday 10 April 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
It's Good Friday today. A Good Friday full of tears and sorrow like the very first one.

8am Lovely morning.

Semolina for breakfast (my futile attempt to support the dairy farmers). It's just wrong to have Semolina pudding for breakfast though, so I won't be doing that again. A new experience all the same.

Updated our Asda click-and-collect order. It looks like it's going to be our last one. No slots available.

Good read of the newspaper subscription. I"m getting to the point that I know which correspondent I can skip over. Good codeword puzzle today. I looked at the solution to yesterday's crossword, and I could see I didn't have a chance!

Lunch, ham with sliced tomato on Superseeded bread. Only the outer crusts left of our loaf now.

Bit later for our walk. Spoke to a couple we know who own a brewery. They are hoping to get a licence so that they can sell directly to the public. So we might have a barrel dropped off in the coming weeks. How exciting.

Saw a few people eating ice cream that they'd bought in the shop. Not the best decision probably, but a scorcher of a day.

Pulled out some rolls and sausages from the freezer - so we can have our first BBQ this year.

Sat in the back, and we have a very inquisitive hover-fly that keeps on looking at us.

Good to hear that Boris has managed to get out of bed and make some steps.

So how has your day been?
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 10th April
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 20 18:39 BST (UK) »
My Good Friday started off very well, our daughter called in with some shopping, she sat in the garden and us in the lounge by the patio door, a short while after I had the 3rd bit of sad news within 12 days, a cousin had died, cannot believe this, he had become affected with the  virus,  so my 3 lovely relatives won't have there deserved funeral, so my good Friday went badly down hill.

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 April 20 20:42 BST (UK) »
So sorry to hear of your bereavement Louisa Maud.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 April 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you, you are very kind, it is a very difficult time for all bereaved people right now, but one good thing is none of them are suffering anymore .

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 April 20 21:14 BST (UK) »
Not an early start like yesterday.  My day began hearing our neighbour mowing his lawn accompanied by the loud banging which our boiler now makes when it is on.  We had issues with  it the week before lock down and a BG engineer came to have a look.  We were advised he needed to come back in order to repair and an appointment was made. However, since the corona crisis all repairs have been cancelled.  Goodness only knows when we will have this nuisance fixed.

Usual start - wash/breakfast and my exercise taken in the local park.  I saw a lovely camellia bush full of red flowers, a cheeky squirrel  and a number of families with small children.  They seemed to be having a great time playing tag/hide in seek/ or on scooters.  I seemed to be leaping out of their way in order to 'social distance'. It was nice to see them so joyful.  Over the last three weeks I have read and seen a lot of rubbish on social media however one comment did strike me as worthwhile, and that was that if anything we should try and leave our youngsters with some good memories of this dreadful period. So, I was pleased to see them relaxing and playing in the sunshine.

The afternoon was warm but overcast and dreary. I made homemade fishcakes, chips and peas for tea.  We had our usual visitors - a large neighbourhood cat who makes a real pest of himself and Mrs. Fox who comes trotting out before dusk.

At 5 I listened to the daily report from the Government - always such sad news and statistics. I usually do a lot of tutting and shouting at the minsters and scientists.

As it is Friday we have all started to watch the Lloyd Weber's musicals on Youtube - tonight was Jesus Christ Superstar.  Another great show.

Stay safe.
CD

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 April 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
Morning  - exercise walk
Afternoon - Sit in the back garden with a glass of beer, a copy of P G Wodehouse and a repeat of TMS on the radio.
Exchange emails with friends who I would have seen at a cancelled music festival.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline tjugg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bosun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 April 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
Usual start drinks in bed but 2 partridge wandered past our window never seen that before! Check the ewes still to lamb and behold one in labour so all plans cancelled! Eventually 2 lambs born with a bit of help from oh. Lovely to see them prancing around but one more ewe to lamb so sit and wait for developments!!
Blunden Dorset and Surrey
Rayner Suffolk and Sussex
Norris and Wellman Dorset
Wheatley Yorkshire and Suffolk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 April 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
Weather forecast was for a warm day but it was rather cool this morning, the detail of the forecast showed that the higher temperature would be about 4pm.

Every day I do some sort of cleaning but decided to spend a bit longer on it today, I don't like housework but neither do I like a house that isn't clean and relatively tidy. Cleaning the bathroom always takes the longest. Hung some washing out, lots of black flies in the garden, not the tiny ones you get when it's humid. I think there was some muck spreading going on nearby recently, I don't know whether that attracted the flies.

Had lunch and set off on my walk. The weather was warming up and there were a number of people on the field. Whichever direction I walked there was inevitably someone who decided to walk towards me, one man with two dogs seemed as if he was doing it deliberately.  A couple were lounging about on the grass, all of the houses around here without exception have gardens so why do they have to lie about in public spaces? And why is it that if I'm walking through the woods, it's always me who diverts off if someone is coming towards me? If I'm sounding a bit narky it's because that's how I was feeling.

Still overcast but nice enough to do some gardening, the black flies seem to have disappeared. Dug a hole and put in the contents of a pot where I'd been growing some bulbs, I'm not sure whether they've flowered and even less sure of what they were but maybe I'll find out next spring. The daffodils are dying off now but the tulips are looking resplendent. Working my way round the garden, it's looking pretty good.

Was intending to iron the washing but logged on to Rootschat instead. Ordered some flower seeds as there's no telling whether I'll be able to buy any bedding plants.

Salmon for tea (Good Friday but also I love fish!) with new potatoes, peas, broccoli and tomatoes. Decided to order a new cover for my four year old Kindle, what a carry on, no matter how detailed a search I make I end up with results that are wrong, they won't fit. Can't be bothered to trawl though thousands more.

Feeling pretty miserable today, I haven't spoken to anyone all day or yesterday, feeling so lonely.  Had a conciliatory glass of wine. I know the answer isn't in the bottom of a glass, only had one.  Tried to put it into perspective in relation to Louisa Maud's sad news.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 April 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
I always feel Good Friday is a strange and sad day, tomorrow is another day so let's all look forward to it

Hope you feel brighter tomorrow Roobarb

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London