Author Topic: A Northumberland puzzle  (Read 1955 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A Northumberland puzzle
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 April 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
St Oswald was a Chapel of Ease in Wall Township in St John Lee Parish. Probably didn't do baptisms, just a place of worship for locals who couldn't travel easily to the Parish Church.

Hope this link works 1828 Whites Directory.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MbA3AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA609&lpg=PA609&dq=brunton+st+john+lee&source=bl&ots=fjmSpcgI4g&sig=ACfU3U0vQfXBq-kHBSCrwuTvDs-5UFcyWQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiOqZqD7-XoAhXxRxUIHeE7B8QQ6AEwAnoECBAQLw#v=onepage&q=brunton%20st%20john%20lee&f=false

Described as half a mile along the Military Road from Brunton. There was a Farm there as well.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 April 20 18:21 BST (UK) »
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=55.02368&lon=-2.11017&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Low Brunton is top left, St Oswalds and the farm (Hill House, also known as St Oswalds Hill House) on the right just below centre.

The only slight snag is that this church is outside the St.John Lee parish ....

It isn't in St John Lee Parish now, but it was then. There has been subdivision since the time we're talking about  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 April 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
It isn't in St John Lee Parish now, but it was then. There has been subdivision since the time we're talking about  :)
Ah, I was hoping something like that might have happened - it seems problem solved; thanks to all contributors.  I was wondering how the questions posed in the censuses may have varied - which parish were you born in?, where were you baptised?, where were you born?  etc ....
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
Just to complete the picture:  Thomas Anderson is not exactly a rare name in Northumberland, but I suspect this shows him in 1841.  Waterfalls is just off the A68, seven miles north of his birthplace in Low Brunton, and his description would tally with his later life, which he spent a similar distance south of Hexham.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 14:16 BST (UK) »
Ah, I was hoping something like that might have happened - it seems problem solved; thanks to all contributors.  I was wondering how the questions posed in the censuses may have varied - which parish were you born in?, where were you baptised?, where were you born?  etc ....

All the column to be filled in on the householder's schedule has is "Where Born".
The chief clerk of the GRO claimed that the birthplace tables were probably the most inaccurate of any of the census tables..... a great many people did not know in which county they were born. There was also a tendency to record the place of residence, or the earliest one which could be remembered, as the place of birth.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helenand91

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

Replying months late. I came across your query through google while idly researching. Thomas and Sarah were my great, great grandparents. Great grandfather was their youngest some Robert Edward. Everything I know about him is on my Ancestry tree. An aunt saw this on Thomas and Sarah's 1846 marriage certificate: ""Thomas Anderson, farmer man, son of William, Husbandman, married Sarah Dawson of Shield Hall, daughter of John, Shoemaker. Witnesses: Matthew Ridley, Thomas Blackburn, Jane Blackburn and Jane Cook."

It looks like the Bolams (married Newcastle 1797) followed the Andersons from Shield Hall to Travellers' Rest in Slaley. They both died there in the mid 1850's. I think that Thomas Bolam was born at St John Lee in 1772. He may have know Thomas Anderson's parents William and Barbara.

Perhaps you have discovered this already.  Let me now if you would like to exchange notes further.

Helen Anderson