Author Topic: Elizabeth Gladys Myfanwy, forward and backward! (Llanegwad/Garnant/Llandilofawr)  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Hello all.

I have a new 3-4th cousin DNA match (yay!) on my JONES line (yay!)

Our shared matches suggest that she is indeed related somewhere around JONES - GRIFFITHS and I have my suspicions, but I might need the eagle eyed assistance of our spectacular Rootschatters.

She has in her tree her great-grandmother Elizabeth Gladys Myfanwy DAVIES, born around 1900, died 1921.

I have in my tree Elizabeth Gladys (or Gwladys) Myfanwy JONES, 1899, illegitimate daughter of Hannah JONES. This would put our shared ancestors as my mother's g-g-grandparents, alongside another 3-4th cousin match.

One might be thinking here- but these two ladies have two different surnames!

True, but I can't trace EGM or her mother after 1901 and my match can't trace her EGM backwards. There are possibilities:
- DAVIES was the surname of EGM's biological father.
- Hannah went on to marry a DAVIES after 1901.
- EGM was later raised in her aunt's household, who married a DAVIES.
To name only three.

Further communication led to her mentioning her mother remembered a "Theo" who moved from Garnant to Swansea. I know that my EGM's first cousin Theophilus DAVIES moved to Ystalyfera, Glamorganshire from the Garnant area.

I am hoping to either finally manage to trace mine forward, hers backwards, or both. Their names don't make it easy.

~~

Elizabeth G(w)ladys Myfanwy JONES

Born 2 qr 1899, Llanegwad, Llandilofawr. Christened 2nd June 1899.

Census 1901:
Hannah JONES 1866 Llanfihangel Abercowin
Elizabeth G W (corrected to M) JONES 1899 Llanegwad
Elizabeth JONES 1820 Llanwinio

Not found after 1901.

When Elizabeth JONES nee GRIFFITHS dies shortly after the census was taken the informant was her son in law Henry DAVIES.

~~

Elizabeth Gladys Myfanwy DAVIES

Not found on census.

Married David REES (cousin says she thinks she might have seen the cert at some point?)
Edit- She's now amended her tree to John David REES, marriage January 1916 Llandilofawr. This might make it either the one with "Lizzie DAVIES" or potentially "Elizabeth M DAVIES".

Two children- P E 1919 and G M M 1921, both with mmn DAVIES. (Both are dead, but I didn't want to get too specific. I think P E may have been born E P)

Died 2 qr 1921, Llandilofawr (approx dob 1900). I've been told “9 days” after the birth, but also “three weeks”. 9 days would mean death took place around 4th April, which would potentially mean she hadn't turned 22 yet if she was born late May/early June. [Edited April from May, because I don't know months of the year apparently. Blame the migraine]

Events took place in Garnant.

~~

Pity the 1921 isn't out yet, things might get a bit clearer!

Even if I can't get mine forward, I'd like to be able to help her link hers back to me, or else find alternative ancestry for her. It's her direct line and it would be nice to get results.

Any help appreciated.

Ayashi

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Gladys Myfanwy, forward and backward! (Llanegwad/Garnant/Llandilofawr)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
not sure if you have this
burial in parish church of Cwmamman
4 April 1921 Elizabeth Gladys Myfanwy Rees 21 of 4 Raven Row Garnant

I don't think the 1916 marriage is the correct one.
29 Jan 1916 Parish church of Llandybie
John Rees 26 bach collier father Thomas Rees collier
Lizzie Davies spinster 28 father Thomas Davies carpenter deceased
witnesses Thomas Rees & Emma Davies
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Gladys Myfanwy, forward and backward! (Llanegwad/Garnant/Llandilofawr)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
That's definitely the burial, thank you.

There were two possibles for the marriage that I can see, from what little I've been given. I don't think EGM has given a father though, if my cousin has seen the original cert. She doesn't have a father's name on her tree. That said, she hasn't given a full marriage date and place either.

I'm glad I was descended from the one boy in this family, because the women have been absolute pains. After they leave the family home they vanish into thin air.

Edit-
I forgot about FreeREG. Out of practice I guess!

I see the burial, but FreeREG shows the details as Garnant on 15th April. It's definitely the same person though.

Further edit-
Interesting! I can see a burial for a Hannah DAVIES aged 60 in 1926, abode 4 Raven Row, Garnant.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 20 15:02 BST (UK) »
I had the burial details from FindmyPast. The Hannah Davies is interesting as mum may have moved in to help with children.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 April 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
Cousin did mention that after EGM died the children were shuttled off to live with grandma, who she didn't think was the father's mother, but then grandmother died not long afterwards, so that could be a good shout for Hannah. It would also mean that Hannah apparently married a DAVIES, perhaps a relative of her sister's husband but I guess not necessarily!

Did you see the original image or a transcript? Just for clarity.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has scans of register attached to indexed record.

When Henry Davies registered the death of his mother in law, is there an address given for him on the certificate? It might be possible to find the address on the 1901 census if it's not too general.

:-\

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
His abode was given as Pantycerdin, Llanegwad. I have Henry and Anne on all of their censuses. It's Hannah that is on the 1871, vanishes for two censuses, reappears in 1901 and then disappears again :/

-Edit
On the 1901 census Henry and Anne are in Llether Cottage, Llanegwad.
On the 1911 census address is given as "2 Blaingsareel Nantgaredig" (spelling courtesy of Anc).
They move to Garnant prior to 1916/18.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 20 19:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I misunderstood, thought Henry was married to Hannah, not her sister.     :-[

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 April 20 19:18 BST (UK) »
I don't know where Hannah's DAVIES came from, maybe the death cert can tell us more (I've asked cousin if she can account for a Hannah DAVIES at that address. In any case, its going to be a while before we can order it).

It hasn't helped having two sisters with similar names. Both Hannah and Anne are on their first census as "Anna" (which confused me for a long time until I eventually found the christenings). They never appear together on census again, further confusing me, but I do know that they are two separate people.

It did occur to me a little bit that Hannah might also have married a Henry, but that would have had to happen between 31st March when the census was taken and 23rd April when Elizabeth died, unless the census details are in error. Hannah was the head of household on that occasion though.