Author Topic: UK request for help - Charles MYERS  (Read 9836 times)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: UK request for help.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 April 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Great research, AMBLY, that helps a lot. 8)

The original newspaper article does specifically ask about Charles MYERS' time in New Zealand.

Known Possible NZ timeline of Charles MYERS:

Dec 1863 - arrived Auckland per Lady Jocelyn from Calcutta in a draft of 43rd Light Infantry Regiment.
April 1864 - fought at Gate Pa (Pukehinahina), Tauranga.
Jan 1866 - Charles' wife Ellen and children arrive in Auckland per Matoaka.
Mar 1866 - Took his discharge at New Plymouth.

I can't reconcile his arrival in New Zealand in Dec 1863 with his reported date of joining the 3rd Waikato Regiment a month earlier, Nov 1863. Again, are these two different individuals?

ADDENDUM: The Charles Myers of Nelson was an engineer, our subject was a shoemaker. I strongly suspect they were two different men, and this then calls into question the assertion that our subject served in the 3rd Waikato Regiment at all.

I think we should check the Nominal Roll of the 3rd Waikato Regiment when we get the opportunity.

Spades

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 April 20 23:00 BST (UK) »
A very helpful article on the battles of Gate Pa and Te Ranga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tauranga_campaign

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 April 20 00:01 BST (UK) »
That is correct spades, and for press and journal reports of the period, also use the spelling Turanga.

The spelling of Maori was far from standardised at that time.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: UK request for help - Charles MYERS
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 April 20 03:25 BST (UK) »
EUREKA.

Person whom I can not name has made contact. Have advised that they enroll and take over the thread. In the mean time I can act as a go to.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 April 20 04:32 BST (UK) »
Outstanding work, Alan!  ;D 8)

I hope we have managed to find some new information for him.

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline Michael Hammerson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 April 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, all, for such rapid, and prolific, responses to my query, and apologies in advance if I am a bit slow, as this is my first time on Rootchat and although I do quite a lot of online research, I am nowhere near as expert in the intricacies of genealogy as you clearly all are!
It seems fairly certain that we have more than one Charles Myers here, including more than one in military service there. Mine was born in Whitechapel, London, not Jersey. Ambly (yesterday 14.22) certainly has the right family.
For the moment, the best I can do is to set out below what information I have on Myers and his family, which will hopefully set you on the right track as far as possible:some of you have already found a good deal of it
Much of the information below was found by the almost superhuman efforts of an Australian researcher with whom I made contact; but even she has not been able to ascertain where the Myers lived when they arrived, and therefore the accuracy of the family story.

Charles Myers, born Whitechapel, London, 1837. Continuous Service No. 14318. Volunteered Navy 22 July 1854. HMS Cossack., No. 7 on the Ship’s Book.  Discharged 1855. Received the Baltic Medal; returned to England and married Ellen Samuel

A Myers went to New Zealand on the Reliance in 1864. She believes it was a troop ship, so it could be Charles on his way to fight in the Maori wars under Governor Grey, under whom he had served in the Crimea – Grey went on Cossack to New Zealand – possibly explaining how he ended up with land in NZ.

A Charles Myers received a medal for fighting in the Maori Wars from 11 Dec. 1863 to 24 March, 1866, fighting at Gate Pa and Te Ranga. He served as a Private in the 43rd [Monmouthshire] Regiment, regimental number 385. I have ascertained that the 43rd served in the 3rd Maori War, --- 1863 – March, 1866

There were members of a Myers family living in Hokitika (settled by Europeans in 1864 after the discovery of gold in early 1864) in 1864. However, I am told that this is in South island and that the main fighting was in North Island. One archivist has suggested that Charles might have gone to Hokitika in 1866 to look for gold, and found, in the 1866 directory, a John Myers, blacksmith and horseshoer, on Revell Street.

Whole family in London in the 1861 census. Lewis born 1864; wife Ellen and her children left London on the clipper Matoaka 1st September 1864, bringing immigrants from London and arriving Waiuku 3rd January, 1865. Possibly part of the Waikato immigration scheme, bringing over 4,000 settlers to Auckland 1864-5.  There is a detailed account of the Matoaka’s voyage and arrival in the Southern Cross newspaper for 4th January, 1865, listing the passengers , including Ellen, Elizabeth, Honery[sic=Henry, possibly born June 1860, Lambeth, London, and died St.Kilda, Victoria, 1928] and Louis Myers. Samuel and Jack appear to have been born in NZ.

Children Jack born 1865 (where?), Samuel born New Zealand 1868.

He is probably not the Charles Myers in the 1880 electoral roll, as a Charles Myers went from NZ to Australia in 1878. There is also a possibility of a (?)brother and (?)sister travelling from England in 1877, and also Ellen and some of her children – did she return tom England for a while?

Charles died 27 July, 1920 and buried in Adelaide, and Ellen in Melbourne. His obituary in the Jewish Herald for 6th August, 1920 read:
“…. one of the oldest and best respected members of the Adelaide Hebrew Congregation. The late Mr. Myers saw war service in the Crimea, with the Naval Brigade, and in 1866[sic] emigrated to New Zealand, where he took part in the Maori War. Four sons survive him – Henry, Louis, Samuel and Jack…..”

Charles’ son - Louis (Lewis on birth certificate) Myers born ?London Jan. 1, 1864, or 1865  - very confused and possibly inaccurate – returned to England in 1920 with his daughter Elizabeth, my grandmother (Adelaide 1895-London 1988) after her marriage to Englishman Joseph Britton in Vitoria in 1917, and died in 1920s); he married Rebecca Saunders (Ballarat 1871 – London 1956).

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 April 20 21:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome Michael.

Samuel born New Zealand 1868.

Do you have his birth cert?
Where was he born?

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 April 20 22:59 BST (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat Michael.... :)

This appears to be the only New Zealand birth for a Samuel Myers in 1868:

1868/13126   Myers   Samuel   Ellen      Samuel

Mother Ellen, but father, Samuel.

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Michael Hammerson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 April 20 23:48 BST (UK) »
I don't have Charles' birth certificate - but he was  born in Whitechapel, London, in 1837, and his obituary certainly gives the name of one of his sons as Samuel. As his wife was Ellen and her maiden name was Samuel, could there have been a drafting mistake at the time?
Michael