Author Topic: Australian Search R HILL  (Read 972 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Search
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 April 20 02:07 BST (UK) »
I haven't actually seen the post you refer to so can not comment.

I have requoted it on your NZ thread :
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=828308.msg6929896#msg6929896

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Australian Search R HILL
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 April 20 02:19 BST (UK) »
A couple of thoughts which may have already been suggested on your other thread. I did read the thread as it was unfolding but can’t recall if any of these have been suggested, or if they will be of any use:

I could not see anyone with the surname Hill on the National Archive of Australia website with this service number - 779746. The search engines does not allow searching by number only. Using Ancestry, there are no results for this service number.

Who was the informant on your father’s death certificate? Who provided the newspapers with this service number? Something to consider is that if only one of these numbers was wrong, then it would not match up with the name. There could be an error by whoever provided the number to the newspaper, or the newspaper themselves.

I believe with some army service numbers, you can get an indication of place and rough date of enlistment. I am not sure if this is also the case with WW2 service numbers but it might be worth looking into.

In your other thread you said that NZ army archives have no record of the service number. Depending on how you asked them to search, it may be worth revisiting this to expand the search? For example if you gave his full name and service number and they could not find a match, then it might be worth you asking if they can search by service number alone, by surname and forename alone etc. I am not sure if they can search via birth date, or just first name, but there are many combinations of search terms which could be used to search for him. This might be something you would have to do in person in the Archives themselves if possible once everything reopens. It is difficult to rely on an archivist who is busy with other things, to do a thorough and exhaustive search.

Once again, apologies if this has already been suggested or if I have missed something.

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Australian Search R HILL
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 April 20 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hullo,
Have you tried the WW2 Nominal Roll freely available online?
Will have a look at this site for you and if anything showing will get back to you.
Regards
clancam37

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 April 20 02:56 BST (UK) »
 :)  The NZ thread has a chap with possible NZEF # as 620598  :D

Reply # 61

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=828308.msg6924699#msg6924699

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Australian Search R HILL
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 April 20 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi KiwiPeter,
Mentioned earlier today the site "WW2 Nominal Roll" for Australian Servicemen.

There was a Ronald Henry HILL born Sydney NSW 27th June 1917
He had service Number: VX2586 later changed to VX147954.

A number of Ronald HILL and HILLS on this list.
Another with a birth-date 3 January 1920 at Devonport Tasmania  Service Number: NX200608 with the name Ronald Alfred HILL.

Just read your rootschat re possible name: Harold Joseph HILL -- will check this name as well.

Have you tried PapersPast in NZ and TROVE in Australia?

clancam37

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Australian Search R HILL
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 April 20 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi KiwiPeter,
Some more info for you.  Not sure he is yours.
Newspaper article 1939 in West Australia -- age is right.

clancam37

copyright image removed

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 April 20 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Clancam37,

Our OP, Peter,  is searching for his father's origins.  On his NZ thread you will find that Peter has provided copy of his own NZ birth cert, and also his brother's. On those documents their Dad is NZ born, and born circa 1924.  So their Dad's name on those  records is either Harry Joseph or Joseph. 

A close reading of the NZ thread shows how alternative given names for their Dad has come about. 

The Army number On The NZ grave does not match up to any 2ndAIF. 

Hope the above helps.  You will find quite a few trove sightings.  I suggested trove back at reply # 2.

The NZ Police Gazette available via Ancestry has photos on one of the seven listings for the person named in your topic heading and in your opening post.

On  the listing for 1944, it shows native of Australia, and a labourer and soldier, born 1920, and in the remarks it notes that he was Released on license, and handed to military authorities, I presume in NZ.

On your other thread re your search for your late father, you have given the newspaper cuttings for his death and funeral, and included there are the service numbers that have been searched and dismissed as WWII service in NZ defence. 

A person by the same name as in your topic heading and opening post can be found in Australia via both Trove and electoral rolls at the same time as your late father was in New Zealand.

ADD
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=828308.msg6923407#msg6923407

(One of the newspaper cuttings show Harry Joseph HILL, Regtl No. 779746, Second World War).

Further ADD, and a person (as per name in your topic heading and opening post) is listed on an Australian 1980 Electoral Roll as well.  1980 is the limit of my access to recent rolls.

JM

JM

Offline KiwiPeter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking for my elusive dad Harry J Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Search R HILL
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
thanks for all the help, I will a few days to take it all in and research what I can.

There is a RH Hill with a New Zealand Service number, I doubt I can do anything about researching that until after the lock down.

Don't take it wrong if I go quite for a day or so as I do have health problems that I need to stay on top off.

Kind regards
Peter
Hill, Smith, Barnaby, Bassett, Batkin, Woolley