Author Topic: All in this together, some are coping, some are not..  (Read 4508 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: All in this together, some are coping, some are not..
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 11:30 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, pity there isn't more family history queries going through at the moment that I can get stuck into

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
Someone needs to stand up and say "I/we got it wrong".

Rather than, for instance “I’m sorry if you feel I/we got it wrong”
?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
I used to read the Daily Mall app every day. I know they've been widely accused of fake news but the reason I read it was because they nearly always had the news first, regardless of where in the world it was from. They had news from my local area before the BBC and well before the local newspaper. However, even then I wouldn't read some of the stories because they were too graphic and they were often guilty of scaremongering. I dread to think what they're publishing now so I avoid it.

I think we all just want straight talking. If the experts don't know I prefer to listen to the ones who admit that. And I see no point in the questions like the ones on the Coronavirus Q&A programme, such as someone asking whether the lockdown took place at the right time. The medical and scientific experts are learning as they go on and I don't think anyone should be looking to apportion blame about doing something that was deemed to be the right thing at the time. I wouldn't want to be in their position. 
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 18:24 BST (UK) »
Candleflame, I expect I will go with my husband and  pick him up, otherwise it is a £3 car park charge, I have made myself a mask, will use it if I have to

Popped to our local shops today, so many are wearing masks, lots are different but don't appear to be home made, a lot seemed to be the same as hospital ones, I wonder where they can be bought from?, mine, well I had a neckerchief I must have bought on holiday years ago,  it will be a case of seeing me coming, red and white

After all this does down and we get back to some sort of normality we won't have anything to talk about, or will we ?

Louisa Maud

Louisa Maud, please don't use a homemade mask that can be more dangerous than not wearing one at all. If your breath makes the mask damp that not only allows the virus to penetrate the mask easily but if warm and damp can allow the virus to thrive. In addition there is also a problem when taking the mask of of transferring any virus caught on the outside of the mask on your hands or even shaking it into the air in your house or car.

Masks are really most effective for preventing an infected person from spreading the virus to others.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that info Guy, I will heed your information re home made masks, not worn it yet

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 19:10 BST (UK) »

I have made masks, washable cotton fabric, from a pattern on the internet. I made liners from a pillow protector, the ones that filter dust and dust mites.  I’m wearing it whatever, it gives me peace of mind.

The bl***dy health minister this morning swore blacks blue that all CQC registered care homes have been provided with masks, the woman is a disgrace.  My daughter works in one such care home, not a sign of any protective equipment, 😡
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 19:22 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't want to be in their position.

I have used this argument many times.  It is very easy, with hindsight, to say what is/was the best thing to do but I wouldn't want to be the person that has to make that decision considering all the consequences of that action - and there are many consequences of any decision.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Just following up the masks question:

if you arrange that your home-made mask is a double (or more) layer, then you can put a folded piece of kitchen towel (if you have any of course) between the folds to absorb the moisture as you breathe.

On returning home, immediately remove the kitchen roll and throw away, take off the mask and put it in the wash straight away and then wash your hands.

You need a fresh mask for each trip.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 21:19 BST (UK) »
suey:
I have made masks, washable cotton fabric, from a pattern on the internet. I made liners from a pillow protector, the ones that filter dust and dust mites.  I’m wearing it whatever, it gives me
peace of mind.

That is an absolute no no Do not use. When your breathe in and out minute fibres from the product are being displaced into the air. If you have the virus you are contaminating the atmosphere and putting everyone at risk. if you dont have it you are more likely to pick it up from the users of these homemade masks.
Have you thought that the majority of people wearing masks may well be carrying the virus and not protecting themselves but trying to protect others.

Warning Latex Gloves:
Using latex gloves can put other peoples lives at risk, because you don't know who is going to touch any article after you have.

Latex proteins cause immediate allergy reactions that develop within minutes to an hour of contact with the rubber item.
This happens because the immune system reacts to the latex proteins as if they were harmful.

Sometimes a widespread reaction can develop at other body sites with swelling of the face, especially around the eyelids and lips.

A severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis can occur, with dizziness, low blood pressure, feeling faint, breathing difficulty, swelling of the throat and collapse.

Are you willing to compromise someone else's life?

Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US