Author Topic: All in this together, some are coping, some are not..  (Read 4515 times)

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: All in this together, some are coping, some are not..
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 April 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the BBC and most newspapers seem to be relentlessly negative and often outrageously over the top. For your peace of mind avoid them at all costs. Lockdown cannot continue for much longer without doing irreversible damage to our economy and way of life so I would guess that it will start to unwind in a couple of weeks or so. The Government needs to start offering a more positive message and showing how they will start to move out of lockdown. If they want people to continue to support them they need to show that there is a gain to be made following their strategy. Awkwardly for the Government people are increasingly noticing that Sweden is faring better than the UK without the draconian restrictions that we have imposed, although they are perhaps pointing to the way out of this mess for us.

As for Macron imposing a further month of lockdown in France this seems way over the top to me and I do wonder if he will lose the support of the people.

I hope and believe that things will start to improve soon.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 April 20 23:03 BST (UK) »
If they want people to continue to support them they need to show that there is a gain to be made following their strategy. Awkwardly for the Government people are increasingly noticing that Sweden is faring better than the UK without the draconian restrictions that we have imposed, although they are perhaps pointing to the way out of this mess for us.

The gain is that our NHS isn't overwhelmed, people are getting the treatment they would expect and people aren't being left to die in corridors.

As for Sweden, time will tell whether their more relaxed approach will turn out better or worse in the long run. Their infection and death rates are now rising sharply.

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 08:02 BST (UK) »
The Swedish infection rate is approximately one third lower than that of the uk while in respect of deaths at 167 per million the UK is much worse than Sweden's 91 per million. Daily new cases are falling in Sweden and deaths are falling even faster.

Nobody wishes hospitals in the UK to be overwhelmed but equally few people would wish the destruction of our economy with the very real long term damage that this would cause, not least to the NHS. Also many people will be aware of particularly cruel ways in which the current lockdown had affected individuals.

Starting to reduce the lockdown will offer hope to people and will help to reduce the very real distress being suffered by some. A sensible approach to ending lockdown need not prejudice the position of the NHS and will reduce the long term damage being done to our economy - do not underestimate the damage to society as a whole that a wrecked economy will wreak. Surely we have the right to expect our Government to be sufficiently capable to begin the return to normality in ways that keep any perceived risks at a manageable level.

This is what other countries are doing.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 08:46 BST (UK) »
The Government needs to start offering a more positive message and showing how they will start to move out of lockdown. If they want people to continue to support them they need to show that there is a gain to be made following their strategy.

I'm not doing it to 'support the government' - basically I'm doing it for myself. I'm not ready to leave my beloved family just yet so I am protecting myself. In turn I hope that by the majority doing as we've been told, if/when I get the virus there will be capacity in my local hospital to get me better. So that I can be with my family again and see my grandchildren grow up a bit more. All selfish I know. I'm terrified the lockdown will be ended prematurely & all my sacrifice and self- isolation will have been for nothing. When I say 'I', of course this applies to all the millions of us just getting on with it as best we can.

I have down moments at the thought I might never hug them again but however long it takes I'm going to grit my teeth & do my best to see it through. I don't have any better solutions than we've been offered & I think it's much too early to draw comparisons with other countries.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 09:10 BST (UK) »
I agree Roopat.

My top priority is ALWAYS my husband (we have no children).  I have high regard and a lot of faith in our NHS and would not wish it to come to any harm.  With these two reasons in mind I am happy to have some discomfort and distress.  Of course, we all want it to end but what's the point if it starts off again without us having a vaccine or being ready to cope with another wave.

As yet, nobody knows what is the right or wrong thing to do.  All countries seem to be using different tactics but it's too soon to know which country is right.  The world is in a situation we have not seen in our lifetime so we can only hope that we are doing the best thing with the information the government has.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 09:21 BST (UK) »
It worries me greatly that the government will feel pressured by the media who constantly ask the question of when and how the lockdown will end.

Most people have stuck to what we've been asked to do, it's for the safety of all of us to not put pressure on the NHS, think of our fellows and not to be selfish.

I like others feel sad at not being able to see my family and to give them the hugs they normally have but I will put up with that if it keeps them and us safe from this dreadful virus.

Of course the economy needs to function, I understand that, but not if it's going to cost more lives by getting going to soon. Yes, the children do need to get back to school, they're social beings and it's just as hard for them not to be with their friends but it all has to be slowly slowly.

It's a concern for all of us worrying about what the future holds and in time we will find out. We need to protect the vulnerable and stay safe, be patient and take little steps and not be bullied into opening up too soon and then find we're going through the whole situation again.

Have trust and faith in those who are trying to do the best for all of us.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 09:25 BST (UK) »
I am not watching the news if I can help it, I think my husband seems to be affected by this more than I am, won't go into details but it affects the mood of the house sadly, BUT we just have to get on with it, stay safe and try not to do the things the Govt tell us not to do , I do go shopping only once a week and am very careful, had no joy with logging onto any supermarket for delivery, But, we have each other whereas lots are on their own and worried, I feel for them, I try to keep my eye out on one particular person  each day and I ring around my church friends and try to end up with a laugh

Someone wrote recently about the church isn't doing very much, I refute that as most clergy are either sending out info through the post of online, anyone can log into see a service going on somewhere if you like that sort of thing, might give some people comfort

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 09:31 BST (UK) »

We’re lucky enough to have an apartment in Cyprus. We had two flights booked, May and September. May will probably not take place, all easyjet want to offer me is change the flight, or a voucher. And that will be more stress from work - “you’ve had weeks off, and now you want a holiday as well?”

Lisa, you are entitled to a refund for the flight once Easyjet have confirmed that the flight will not go ahead, don't let them fob you off with a voucher or change of flight. Martin Lewis, the money saving expert has answered questions on this regularly and he emphasizes that you are entitled to a refund. Here's his article:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/#vouchersnotrefunds

As for your job, I agree with Suey that you need to find another job. There may be reasons you feel you can't, maybe further to travel, but believe me it's not worth staying in a job that blights your life if you can possibly get out of it. I speak from bitter experience.

Good luck.

Easyjet have now got a rolling 7 day flight cancellation thing going - apparently the closer yours gets, the more options are opened to you.

Yes, I do need to leave the job, but it’s not a very good time to be looking now  :)
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
@ Mike, how did you get on with the volunteering kid?

A nice wee bit of writing for those unable to get away to the hills at this time & suffering from cabin-fever!

https://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2020/04/12/bealach-horn/

Skoosh.