Author Topic: John Woods. Mariner. Brick Wall.  (Read 1947 times)

Offline 3473peter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Woods. Mariner. Brick Wall.
« on: Saturday 11 April 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again and would like to ask for help finding information on the father of John Woods b1858 Holland, Married Hannah (Anna) Sophia Biever (Beewer) 3/10/1881 West Ham Essex, It states on their marriage certificate John Woods occupation Mariner, his Father John Woods occupation Mariner, On all the census I have gathered 1891,1901,1911 John Woods, west ham Essex all reads true apart from a misspelt birth year making him younger than his wife Sophia, John Woods b1858 also died in 1921 west ham Essex, as said no problem with this information.
My question is that I can not find any information on John Woods senior, the only thing as said I know is from the marriage certificate of john and Sophia 1881, that he was a Mariner. I have no birth, death or marriage of him.
I hope you can help and thank you kindly.
Peter Woods

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Woods. Mariner. Brick Wall.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 20 13:10 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this will help but Canada has much of the British Seafaring records.  the reason being that the UK archivist planned to throw them away due to there being no space and Canada asked if they could have them.

Some sailor/ship records are online , these being dated 1881  I've found one of my mariners in the database.

http://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/crews1881.php
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 20 13:14 BST (UK) »
Did you locate the 1858-born John  woods in 1861 to 1881?

What names witness the 1881 marriage?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 20 13:14 BST (UK) »
Just to add the 1891 mentions that he was a British subject bn Holland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3473peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 April 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
Did you locate the 1858-born John  woods in 1861 to 1881?

What names witness the 1881 marriage?
thank you for your reply,
I have no census records for 1861/71/81 or birth for john woods b1858 Holland, the first record I have of him was his marriage certificate in October 1881, as for witnesses they were not family members and one who I traced ( sorry can not remember name as I don't have document to hand) to the 1881 census was of German origin occupation ships cook, living in Nelson street west ham Essex, this address was given as john and Sophia address at the time of marriage on the certificate, but they were not included on the 1881 census, so perhaps they were not living there during the time the 1881 census was taken earlier in that year. the person that intrigues me is John Woods Senior occupation mariner as stated on john woods juniors marriage certificate, as I have nothing on him?

Offline 3473peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 20 13:48 BST (UK) »
Just to add the 1891 mentions that he was a British subject bn Holland
Yes thank you my friend, all my research re census 1891/1901/1911 on john woods b 1858 states Holland and British subject/resident. I think the 1911 gets his year of birth wrong, but found this as for the other family members.

Offline 3473peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 20 13:49 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this will help but Canada has much of the British Seafaring records.  the reason being that the UK archivist planned to throw them away due to there being no space and Canada asked if they could have them.

Some sailor/ship records are online , these being dated 1881  I've found one of my mariners in the database.

http://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/crews1881.php
thank you my friend, very interesting, stay safe and healthy during these times.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 April 20 08:39 BST (UK) »
a lady named Sylvia Woods has a familytree - all children born in born The Netherlands
Thomas Woods b 1796 - wife Amy( Smith ? ) b 1807 -
children
Sarah A Woods 1829
Thomas 1831
William 1834
Hannah 1836
George 1838
JOHN WOODS B1840
Henery Smith Woods 1843
then 13 yrs later - Robert b 1856
Its a bit of a stab in the dark - but could the 1840 JOHN WOOD be your Johns father ??

https://gw.geneanet.org/sawoods?n=woods&oc=&p=john
ADDED
please note ther is a marriage for Thomas Woods to AMY SMITH in 1826 Carbey Lincolnshire - possibly that familys parents in the Netherlands
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL1L-D6HR
states Thomas Woods - Principal - was he a teacher ?

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline 3473peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
a lady named Sylvia Woods has a familytree - all children born in born The Netherlands
Thomas Woods b 1796 - wife Amy( Smith ? ) b 1807 -
children
Sarah A Woods 1829
Thomas 1831
William 1834
Hannah 1836
George 1838
JOHN WOODS B1840
Henery Smith Woods 1843
then 13 yrs later - Robert b 1856
Its a bit of a stab in the dark - but could the 1840 JOHN WOOD be your Johns father ??

https://gw.geneanet.org/sawoods?n=woods&oc=&p=john
ADDED
please note ther is a marriage for Thomas Woods to AMY SMITH in 1826 Carbey Lincolnshire - possibly that familys parents in the Netherlands
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL1L-D6HR
states Thomas Woods - Principal - was he a teacher ?
thank you for this, I will scrutinise and see if I can find a connection.