Author Topic: Walter O'Donnell, NY  (Read 949 times)

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter O'Donnell, NY
« on: Saturday 11 April 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for the parents of Walter O'Donnell born (I think) 1902, died 1976 in Orange County, New York. This is likely him https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/190157695/walter-a_-o_donnell

His wife was Mary Hallisey married 1931.

He was put up for adoption along with possibly 10 siblings.

I have been told that his parents *might* be John O'donnell & Katie O'Brien. I would like to confirm this if possible.

Thank you for your help.

I am not interested in his children and forward (already have that info), only his parents and back! Thanks
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Walter O'Donnell, NY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:42 BST (UK) »
Their marriage record with parent's names mentioned.

Marriage: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24D7-VK1

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
ok. thank you for this. I did not have that record. I can see them in a few censuses now also.

So the father John was born in Ireland about 1868 and arrived in the US about 1882 as per the 1910 census.

EDIT
on both the 1900 and 1920 and 1930 censuses John has an arrival date of 1885. and it says he is Naturalized. Need to find his naturalisation doc.
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 20 08:40 BST (UK) »
yes, Thomas 1889 is definitely a son but the others do not tie up with the census ages at all by a long shot. Strange. Two John O'D & Kate O'Brien's in Hoboken, Hudson....

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 20 08:50 BST (UK) »
Ok, bit of a problem now!
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=2442&h=132613903&tid=160350586&pid=342187104213&hid=1038168944760&usePUB=true&_phsrc=aQB1297&_phstart=default&usePUBJs=true&currentPageIsStart=

This is Walter in the 1940 census, single. The family that I was presuming was correct.
All ages match perfectly.

So the Walter that married in 1932. This Walter is the one I want to follow. So it must mean that there were TWO Walters in NJ, son of John O'D and Catherine O'Brien!!!!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 April 20 09:15 BST (UK) »
Is this Walter in 1910? There are other O’Donnells with him, Patric and the one transcribed as ‘Mandrake’ looks like Michael.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M58P-NDL

There is also possibly a John a few lines above.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 April 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
This may be that family and therefore the one you have in 1900 as your family
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9JV-P26

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
ok. thank you for this. I did not have that record. I can see them in a few censuses now also.

So the father John was born in Ireland about 1868 and arrived in the US about 1882 as per the 1910 census.

EDIT
on both the 1900 and 1920 and 1930 censuses John has an arrival date of 1885. and it says he is Naturalized. Need to find his naturalisation doc.

Is the John who is father to Walter? Do you have Walter with him in 1910?