Author Topic: Burial questions  (Read 11188 times)

Offline pompey welsh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial questions
« on: Saturday 11 April 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Please can someone explain what this is. I think I have deciphered everything that it says but would like to know what it all means.
Does removal literally mean removal? and if so where to and why?

Many thanks

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Burial questions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
It says a private grave 12 feet deep so it looks as though removal means exact that. I think part of the problem is that unless you could afford to buy a private plot you sort of just rented a plot for a certain period of time, after that it became available again. I may be wrong and  I am sure someone will tell me if I am.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
Could it be that the first occupant was transferred there from another plot, looking at dates? Just a long shot. Or could the removal notes concern the head and curbstones in some way?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 20 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Please can someone explain what this is. I think I have deciphered everything that it says but would like to know what it all means.
Does removal literally mean removal? and if so where to and why?

Many thanks

Without seeing the full page I cannot be certain but removal normally means one of two either the person died in another parish or what this seems to be 5 family members who were buried in other plots then moved to the family plot when that was purchased for Louisa Hunt in 1904.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline pompey welsh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 April 20 19:48 BST (UK) »
ive actually cropped off the dates  ::)...they are G hunt 1880, Florence dewy 1890, Henry g hunt 1898, Charles Edwin hunt 1900 and Louisa hunt 1904.
these are all members of one family, George and Louisa were the parents and Charles, Florence and Henry were just 3 of their children. the lady on the left column (louisa minnie wills)  is also George and Louisa daughter. i have added the column headers if this helps any. Thank you

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
In this case I think there was only one removal - G. Hunt from 1880.

The large section on the left appears to record the purchase of burial rights by Louisa Hunt on 22 February 1881, and the right hand section starts with the burial (removal) of G. Hunt. There are then 3 more burials, before Louisa Hunt herself is buried in 1904.

At this point, her name was deleted in the left hand section, and she is marked as Decd, and the new owner is noted as Louisa Minnie Wills.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pompey welsh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your insight. Please can you dumb it down for me as I'm confused. As i am reading it looks like George (husband) was buried in 1880.....Louisa (wife) buys the plot in 1881, kicks him out of it, and goes on to bury 3 more children and herself in it and then the new owner of the plot is her living daughter.
That's how I am currently understanding it, is this far off what you think?
Any interpretation is appreciated.

Also do you have any idea about what would have happened with removed bodies around this time?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 20 20:43 BST (UK) »
I could be wrong, but I read it as meaning that her husband might have been buried elsewhere, then when she bought the rights to the plot a few months later he was moved from the first grave to this one.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the column headings it makes things clear.
I have combined the two images to make things easier to follow

The large middle column shows the grave plot 7990 was originally purchased by Louisa Hunt on 22 February 1881 and when she died in 1904 the plot was inherited by Louisa Minnie Wills

G Hunt had been buried in 1880
It looks as if G Hunt had been buried in a common grave but Louisa Hunt purchased a family plot
7990 and had his body exhumed and reburied in this new plot.

The bodies of other family members interred in it at various depths
Florence Dewy in 1890 at about 11 ft deep
Henry G Hunt in 1898 at about 10 ft deep
Charles Edwin Hunt in 1900 at about 9 ft deep
and Louisa Hunt in 1904

At first I thought these other family members might have been buried in different graves but the headings make it clear the numbers in the last column are burial register numbers at least (3 different registers) rather than plot numbers that I thought at first.

Cheers
Guy

http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.