Author Topic: St Botolphs churchyard  (Read 774 times)

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St Botolphs churchyard
« on: Saturday 11 April 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for the death and, or burial of Richard Hannam. He has become a very high and solid brick wall to me.
A brief history I located him in St James's Street Westminster through to poll tax books and established that he had had his shop there from about 1774 till about 1785 which seems to be when he retired. his wife was called Elizabeth ? date of marriage ?. I can find nothing about where Richard came from before he had his shop. the info that I do have is the names of all his children, dates of  their birth and Baptism but little else he is just a mystery.

What I have found which may help is a burial in Aldgate Middlesex Saint Botolphs Parish which states that he or someone with a similar name died in 1822  and was born 1732  which makes him the ripe old age of 90 which is a good age for those times and I would like to rule it in or out.

The problem that I have is that the surname on the burial has the name  spelt H?Pman  which I assume is erosion. which is a good likeness for his name but I would like more proof that it is him, the dates would fit but again the are only estimates based on the ages of his children, born from 1758 to 1769 in St James Westminster.

If anyone can suggest a course of action or any thing else it would be appreciated I do not seem to be able to turn up any info on aldgate cemetery.
Hannam in London, Nottinghamshire and Sheffield
Collins in Staffordshire
Brackenbury, Gurnell and Willson in Lincolnshire and now Nottinghamshire
Marples in Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Heginbotham in Derbyshire

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Botolphs churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
if it helps ancestry have transcribed it as "Hassman" 

I can't read his abode clearly either I'm afraid, have you got any street addresses for your chap?

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 20 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Milliepede
Thanks for the reply

The only thing that looks like an address is the entry on FindMyPast mentions Doan Street if that is of any help, I don't seem to be able to find that either.

Thanks Steve
Collins in Staffordshire

Offline Novak20

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
Only indirectly related to your enquiry but there's a 1774 Westminster Poll Book listing a Richard Hannam, St James, peruke maker. A pretty good trade until the introduction of the hair powder tax!

It looks like the same person remained in business until 1790s. There are newspaper posts for the sale of the leasehold for a house and shop, 35 east side of St James' Street 'in the occupation of Mr Richard Hannam, perfumer, retiring from business' (adverts taken out in the Oracle and in the Morning Chronicle, Oct 1796)

St James is fairly well preserved so the building may still be there.

cheers,
Mike
Johnson, Thacker, Clarke, Cawthorn, Scott, Sharpe, Jordan.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 20 07:38 BST (UK) »
I think the name in the St Botolph's register is Hapman.  I am a little concerned by the dot after the H but don't think it is any more than a dot.

If you scroll forward two pages you will see many instances of the p in September.

Also, he writes Glass-house Yard twice without employing a long-s.

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 April 20 09:21 BST (UK) »
Mike,
  Thanks for the reply
          The Richard Hannam that you found in St James's Street is the person  that I am stuck with. You are correct  his shop with some alterations was about three houses north (towards Piccadilly )  of Bootles Club. also he had a son Richard b 1760 and a grandson Richard b 1793, both attorneys.

Horsleydown86
The number of variations of this name they have used in various places to say the least makes life interesting add to that strange script and old documents what more could you want.Thanks anyway               
Collins in Staffordshire

Offline Novak20

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
I checked apprenticeship records and nothing turned up (though there is an Arthur Hannam, peruke maker, working in the city in the mid to late 18th century).

A possibility is that he was born outside London into a family with some financial resources, settled with his own family and business in Westminster, and then retired back to the neighbourhood of his birth. This wasn't an uncommon pattern of behaviour. I realise it's not enormously helpful but it's worth keeping in mind that he may have died outside London.
Johnson, Thacker, Clarke, Cawthorn, Scott, Sharpe, Jordan.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
Have you checked out London Lives?

https://www.londonlives.org/index.jsp
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks
          Was it Ancestry you found Arthur on?  Could you perhaps PM me the info Thanks
Collins in Staffordshire