Author Topic: My Ramsays, and all the other families that they married into  (Read 9642 times)

Online Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Ramsays, and all the other families that they married into
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 April 20 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi my Ramsays didn't move as far George Ramsay Sangster moved to Forfar after his marriage to Isabella Dalgety where they ran a Drapier shop their daughter Isabella moved to Letham a small village outside Forfar after she married Alexander Robertson and my Gran Nellie moved back to Forfar where she married my grandad William Lowson

Online Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 April 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
Having a look at your notes and have found a couple of instances where we differ firstly I have James Ramsay b 1883 married Ann Osborn I have James death as Jan 1882 in Kent and you have 1900 Scotland also I have a different spouse for Samuel I have married to Isabel Hay in 1833 in Inverkeillor and dying in 1838 in Kinnell in Angus obviously less sure about this one as before registration started was curious what you had that you came to your conclusion
Also one correction the Catherine Ramsay who died in 1873 is my 3rd great grandmother who married David Sangster daughter of George Ramsay and Jane nee Gibson not her aunt Catherine Liggar Ramsay sorry

Offline jbundy48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 April 20 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy, as to James You're correct. I confirmed your death date via his Probate record as 29 Jan 1882 at Medway. I think where the 1900 date came in was that Ancestry had it, but that was his wife's death date (Ann Osborn). Oddly, I found an Agnes McDonald listed as a wife for him also, but instead she was a lodger. He caught my interest now and see he had a long career in the Army and then associated with the Army and then as a Chelsea Pensioner. As to Samuel Ramsay and his wife Jean Ramsay, you're correct that records are hard to come by back then. But, their first son George Ramsay was born in 1800 at Monikie Angus, and his birth record there show Samuel (sp Samwel) and Jean Anderson. Samuel was born at Barry, but the Ramsays were all from Monikie earlier. Also, Samuel, while being born at Barry, died in Monikie also. I hope that helps. And, thanks for asking the questions. I learn things that way, even at my age. :) Jim     

Online Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 April 20 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim sorry didn't make myself clear enough to many Samuel Ramsays the Samuel I was on about was the son of Samuel and Jean you have him marrying Margaret Thomson in Leith in 1823 where I have a Samuel Ramsay marrying Isobel Hay in Inverkeillor in 1833 this Samuel died in 1838 at Kinnell Inverkeillor is 14 miles from Monikie while Leith is 71 miles

Offline jbundy48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 April 20 04:34 BST (UK) »
"Also one correction the Catherine Ramsay who died in 1873 is my 3rd great grandmother who married David Sangster daughter of George Ramsay and Jane nee Gibson not her aunt Catherine Liggar Ramsay sorry"
So, I have Catherine Ligglar Ramsay born in 1820 at Monkie, and don't show a marriage for her. Then I have a Catherine Ramsay born in 1829 married to David Sangster. Now, I am concerned that I have the same death date for both of them. I have a headstone for her showing the 1873 date and her having died at 1844 (born then 1829). Have checked on Scotlland's People just now, and there's nothing on Catherine Ligglar Ramsay except her birth, but church burials were the weakest point of Church Records in Scotland. I'll remove the death date for Catherine Ligglar Ramsay from my records.   

Offline jbundy48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 April 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
Re Samuel Weir Ramsay and his wife's name I have arguments presented for both Margaret Thomson and Isabel Hay as to whom he married. So, I went back to Scotland's People on this. The marriage of Samuel Ramsay and Isabel Hay is registered at the St Vigeans Parish on 12 Jan 1833, no parent listed. The Samuel Ramsay who married Margaret Thomson at Leith was in 1823, when Samuel would have been 18. In addition he's listed as a Tinsmith there, and in 1851 he is listed as born at Edinburgh, which is incorrect. So, I'll have to go with Isobel Hay as you suggested. Thanks again. Oddly enough, the eldest son of that Samuel and Margaret was born at Edinburgh, but in 1851 was a tobacco spinner at Dundee. Anyway, time to do more digging into that line.     

Offline jbundy48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 April 20 05:19 BST (UK) »
One other note though is that Samuel and Margaret in 1851 also live at Dundee, where he is still a tinsmith, so I guess I have to do more work on this conundrum as to Samuels and their spouses. I haven't been able to find out anything about Samuel and Isobel as yet beyond their marriage. 

Online Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 April 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
Good morning Jim I have also been unable to find anything else regarding Catherine Liggar Ramsay she remains a mystery
Samuel and Isabel had one daughter Euphemia and an unknown son Ifound Isabel and Euphemia in the 1841 census living in Friokheim as far as my memory can recall would have to check my notes for more details Wendy

Offline jbundy48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 April 20 20:14 BST (UK) »
Generation 5 Part 6
Children of David MCKIDDIE and Mary RAMSAY are:

Hugh born 1767 Elspet born 1768 Alexander born 1769 John born 1771 Elisabeth born 1773
James born 1781. I am a descendent of Alexander. Have you any information about
Mary RAMSAY?

My WHITTON family:

JAMES WHITTON, born Newtyle, County Angus, Scotland married 5 MAY 1757 In Dundee ,
County Angus to Margt. MILNE Child:

Andrew WHITTON bap. 28 Sep 1740, Newtyle. married 2 Dec. 1786 In Newtyle to Beatrix
MONCUR. Children:

Jannet bap. 11 MAY 1794, Newtyle, John bap. 28 Feb. 1796, Newtyle died 1857, married 7 Dec. 1822, Newtyle, to Ann McKIDDIE, bap. 1804. Children:

William bap. 28 Mar. 1824, Glamis, County Angus

Mary bap. 10 Jun. 1826, Glamis,

John bap. 6 Jul. 1832 Eassie & Nevay, County Angus John WHITTON bap. 6 Jul. 1832 Eassie & Nevay, married Cupar Angus, County Angus on Dec 1857 to &gtJanet (Jessie) Royena MCGREGOR b. 25 MAY 1832, Scotland. They had 6 children when they immigrated to Toronto, Ontario, Canada About 1871 Hoping you have information on these families. &gtThanking you. &gtGood luck on your research. Betty Crowe nee Whitton, Ontario, Canada. bcrowe@drlogick.com Subj: [Angus]
Re: STURROCK / W(E)IGHTON/RAMSAY/CAMPBELL Date:2/27/00 5:26:42 PM Central Standard
Time From:ackroyd@@gte.net (RichnVal) To:Angus-L@@rootsweb.com Well, "my" Isabella
(my ggm) was also born In 1858, but, according to t IGI, she was born In Dundee. I need to get a
copy of her birth certificate. As far as The STURROCKs go, I only know that her father is listed on her Marriage certificate (she married Donald CAMPBELL) as William STURROCK. That's why I need the birth certificate--to try to see if there was any other info about him. And to go through
the army records, etc., etc. Sigh. I "think" I've got my WIGHTONs traced as follows:

1. David WIGHTON married Isabella MILN In Dundee, In 1763. children: William, Anne, James, John, Isabel, Jean, Peter, Robert

2. William WIGHTON, born 1776 In Dundee, married Euphan RAMSAY, born 1782 In Falkland, Fife, father James RAMSAY, mother Euphan EDEN), date of Marriage ? children:
David, Euphan, George, Isoble, Margaret, Mary, Robert, James RAMSAY

3. James Ramsay WIGHTON, born 1810, Liff Benvie & Invergowrie, died 1879 In St. Peter, Dundee, married Ann DUNCAN, born 1827, died ?, date of Marriage ? children: David Nicholas Caulson WIGHTON, Ann, James, Mary KIDD, Elizabeth, Helen Gilchrist YOUNG, William

4. David Nicholas Caulson WIGHTON, born 1857, Dundee, died 1919, Montreal, Quebec, married Margaret YOUNG, born 1856, Cupar, Fife, died 1945, Mayfield Hospital, Cupar (or is it Dundee?), Marriage date 1878, Cupar. child: Annie Young WIGHTON

5. Annie Young WIGHTON, born 1878, Cupar, Fife, died 1969, Montreal, Quebec, married Donald Peter CAMPBELL, born 1879, Dundee, died 1962, Montreal, Quebec, Marriage date, 1907, Montreal, Quebec. children: Arnold (was meant to be Harold) David(my father), Phyllis VALERIE In Washington state.

Peter RAMSAY and Isabel WIGHTON had the following children:

i. ALEXANDER6 RAMSAY was born on 01 Nov 1801 in Newtyle, Angus, , Scotland. He died on 07 Sep 1870 in Dufftown, (Mortlatch, Banffshire), Scotland. He married Elizabeth MITCHELL on 23 Dec 1826 in Mortlach, Banff, Scotland. She was born on 06 Jun 1798 in Tornbally, Banffshire, Scotland. She died on 29 Dec 1862.