Author Topic: Robert Little of Torthorwald 1600/1700s Little Reivers  (Read 686 times)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Little of Torthorwald 1600/1700s Little Reivers
« on: Sunday 12 April 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Has anybody got a Robert Little of Torthorwald in their tree?
He must have been born late 1600s as he had a daughter named Mary b.1701. Mary Married Robert Richardson, also of Torthorwald town in 1728.
I have found a mention of a Covenanter named Robert Little b. abt 1655, but don’t know if this is the same person.
Also, with the name Little in that area, what is the likelihood of Reiver decent?
I think Meikledale lies around 30 miles away.I believe this was once a Little Reiver area?
Any help, suggestions or pointers would be most appreciated.

Offline grrankin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Little of Torthorwald 1600/1700s Little Reivers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 21 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Mojo47, I don't know that much about the Little family but according to this website https://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/htol/little2.htm Meikledale was a Little stronghold. 

My great-grandmother was a Little and married a gentleman from Stirlingshire. They had a daughter (my grandmother) who married a gentleman from Kilsyth, then Stirlingshire, now Lanarkshire.  I don't know where the Littles in my family came from and have only recently discovered the history of the Reiving clans and will eventually get around to seeing if I can link them. I'd say the chances are quite high we are from Reiving clan of Littles.

I was interested in your post because you mentioned Covenanters and Kilsyth was a strongly Covenanter town which could explain how my Littles ended up there if they did come from the Reiving line.

I read all about the curse laid upon the Reiving families and it made my blood run cold. It was just so horrible. I now lay all the bad luck that has ever beset my family at the feet of Gavin Dunbar and if I ever meet a Dunbar I might punch them in the face for old time's sake! (kidding).

Sorry I can't be of more help but your post has helped me with the Covenanter linkage so thanks!

Gillian Rankin