Author Topic: Mcleod/Mcleans Lochbroom  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mcleod/Mcleans Lochbroom
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 April 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
I don't think your laird was too popular with locals!
I couldn't possibly comment :)

Robert Irvine was a canny person. We knew him well. He eventually went to a care home down in ?Argyll. His son sold the hotel and it's now just an ordinary place. Robert and  Roberta got it to Good Food level and a subsequent chef to Michelin star level.
Yes, I remember that too.

Coigach was part of the dowry of Margaret McKenzie (Lewis) when she married into the Cromartie McLeod family.  The part from Achiltibuie  eastward is now owned by the Scottish National Heritage.
I don't think I knew about SNH owning Coigeach. I remember Inverpolly being a National Nature Reserve, but I have a notion that it was de-designated because the owner of the land didn't want to continue with it as a NNR. But I could be mistaken. It's almost 45 years since I moved away from Wester Ross.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 April 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
We finally moved in 2013. I'll check up  - maybe I got the names mixed up.

Added - I think the name changed a few times. We think it is now Scottish Wildlife but they weren't around in 1860-70s  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 April 20 13:49 BST (UK) »
Oh gosh so much info thank you so much.

I have Annabella in the 1871 census an ag lab widow at Ardoch House Lochbroom. with her children, Catherine, Murdo, Simon, Margaret, Norman, and Alexander.  Angus must have died.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 April 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
Added - I think the name changed a few times. We think it is now Scottish Wildlife but they weren't around in 1860-70s  ;D
You're quite right. It's the Scottish Wildlife Trust.

http://www.whoownsscotland.org.uk/property.php?p=2155
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.