Author Topic: Amazon returns in the current situation  (Read 776 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Amazon returns in the current situation
« on: Sunday 12 April 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
I've finally found a case for my Kindle that I think will fit, I'd normally just go ahead and order it and return if necessary but as I'm not entirely convinced it will be okay and I'm not leaving the house apart from my exercise on the nearby green space, I don't want to have to go out to return it.

Does anyone know how long I would have to return it? It's dispatched by Amazon so presumably subject to their returns rules. I know there are a number of websites that have given a much longer return window. I've gone round in circles trying to find this on Amazon (started with the Coronavirus help heading) but I can't find a definite reply.

Can anyone help please?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon returns in the current situation
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 20 21:52 BST (UK) »
As it's probably a low value item, it's probably wise just to take the hit yourself if it's not quite right.

It's best not risking your life for something less than a tenner.

You're worth more, much more.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
Check the returns policy - sometimes you may find an option for a courier to pick up from your house.

Depending on cost to return and effort involved I agree with Trystan that it is unlikely to be worth it.

If you have the correct model number there should be no reason that the case won’t fit.  :) Look at the images to see if all the ports are the same. Contact the seller to confirm it will fit your particular Kindle.

Check where the item is shipping from. If it is coming from the USA or elsewhere abroad there may be delays due to fewer planes flying at the moment.

I know how tricky is is finding cases for devices, and they are usually a disappointment. In my experience anything made from “PU “leather” is a waste of money put on any device which is used a lot. The coating peels off and it looks shabby in no time - horrible stuff.

I have a Fintie brand slim hard “composition case” on my Ipad. The quality is excellent. It looks like they do Kindle cases too. The link below is the first one I found but there may be others. Although I can’t vouch for “synthetic leather”  I presume that is plastic in which case it should be OK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fintie-Slimshell-Case-Kindle-Paperwhite/dp/B01GH23SYO?th=1
(There are details on the site explaining which models this will fit)

Although I do have a Kindle I don’t really use it so am not sure if, like other devices, you can check what model number you have? It is usually hidden in ‘settings’ or some such place:
https://glyde.force.com/s/article/Which-Kindle-Do-You-Have

Good luck.  ;)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 20 00:18 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I had an email from Amazon.co.uk on 31 March 2020 which said,

Return policy update
Nothing is more important than the health and well-being of our customers, employees, and the communities we serve. To that end, we’re temporarily extending the return window to give you more time to get items back to us. Most items ordered from Amazon or our Seller partners between February 15, 2020 and April 30, 2020 can now be returned until May 31, 2020."

and looking at the Your Orders page it does show "Eligible for return until 31 May 2020" under my items.

Like you I've just gone round in circles on the website, but eventually I found that if you scroll down to nearly the bottom of the page there is a "Let Us Help You"  list, "Returns & Replacements".  That gives the above message and more information about returns.

It would have been so helpful if they had put it at the top of the page wouldn't it  ::)

I hope this helps  :)

But for now stay home, stay safe is much more important.

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. Daisy, that's brilliant, exactly what I was looking for.  :) They seem to go out of their way to make things difficult on the website, probably because it results in people spending money they didn't intend to.

Trystan, the one I was considering is £12.99, not a king's ransom and as you say, not worth any risks. Thank you.  :)

I'd decided to replace my tatty old one at this time partly because it's tatty but also because I've hardly spent anything for weeks and decided to treat myself. I've actually had the Kindle for four years which is one of the reasons it's proved so difficult to narrow down the choice. There are ones that come up in the filtered list as fitting my device but when I go into the specifications I find that the size of the case is slightly smaller than my Kindle so wouldn't fit.

Ruskie, I read your reply, strangely enough the one I put in my Save and Compare list is a Fintie one. I have just now clicked on the link in your post and couldn't believe it when I saw that it's the very same item! What are the chances of that?!! I had decided to be a cheapskate and go for the black one but I'm dithering now, I might push the boat out and go for a colour! My existing cover was really cheap, it's been to many places around the world and stood up to the rigours of various beaches, trains etc but it's time to say goodbye.

I always check where Amazon items are dispatched from before buying, I would only consider ones from the UK at this time but thanks for the warning. Who knows what will happen to all the cheap Chinese imports in future, many I can happily live without but things like folding plastic hangers for travel come in handy.

I have managed to find a serial number for my Kindle, it was as you say, in Settings. I think I'll just go for the Fintie one, Ill risk it for a biscuit!

Many thanks folks  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 April 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
That is an amazing coincidence Roobarb. ;D

It is difficult to decide on a colour - there are plus points for getting a black one as scuffs and marks are probably less likely to show up, but the colours are nice and cheery.

I hope it meets expectations.  :)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 April 20 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie. The current one is pink, a change might be nice. I'll order one when I've stopped dithering!  :D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham