Author Topic: Catherine Cavanagh/Kavanagh - born abt 1838, possibly around Tintern, Saltmills  (Read 796 times)

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Good evening everyone,

I'm in Australia and have managed, over the years, to track down the origins of most of my Irish and English forebears but am stuck on one.

From her death and marriage certificates in NSW I have:

Catherine Mary Cavanagh/Kavanagh
Born about 1838 in County Wexford
Parents: Peter and Mary (nee Murphy)
Emigrated in 1858, 1859 or very early 1860 (most likely 1859)

Catherine married John Merrin in February 1860 in NSW. I haven't been able to find a record of her arrival in NSW. Immigration records are not available online. Will check in person when with NSW State Archives records when this Covid-19 thing is over.

John Merrin came from Saltmills, Tintern in County Wexford and I'm working on the assumption that he and Catherine knew one another in Ireland. I am also thinking he probably sponsored her to come to NSW.

So my question is: how can I find out if there were any Cavanaghs in the area in the 1850s? And is there a way I can find out where they were?

Many thanks,
Felicity

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Cavanagh/Kavanagh - born abt 1838, possibly around Tintern, Saltmills
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 00:50 BST (UK) »
Try  The National Library of Ireland, Church Registers for the Baptisms and Marriages for the parish of Tintern (Ballycullane) https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0573

Use Griffiths Valuation to search either for Surnames or Townlands in that area. There is a James Merrin there in the town land of Saltmills (Wexford was valued c 1853)

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Cavanagh/Kavanagh - born abt 1838, possibly around Tintern, Saltmills
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you, culbaire.

I'm aware of James Merrin - he's my John Merrin's father. The thing is, I already knew where John Merrin was born when I went looking at the Griffith's Valuation records. For Catherine Cavanagh, I have no idea which parish, etc she was born in.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 04:43 BST (UK) »
Immigration records are not available online. Will check in person when with NSW State Archives records when this Covid-19 thing is over.

Yes, they are:

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-and-shipping/indexes

Did she arrive with any family members?

Why do you think this?: Emigrated in 1858, 1859 or very early 1860 (most likely 1859)

John Merrin came from Saltmills, Tintern in County Wexford and I'm working on the assumption that he and Catherine knew one another in Ireland. I am also thinking he probably sponsored her to come to NSW.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 04:58 BST (UK) »
Is this John’s arrival?

From NSW State Archives online:

INDEX MERRIN John
Assisted Immigrants Index 1839-1896
Age: 18 | Ship: Kate | Year: 1856 | Copy: Reel 2138, [4/4793]; Reel 2473, [4/4961]
CITATION Details
Number INX-9-62377
Title MERRIN John
Index Name Assisted Immigrants Index 1839-1896
Name John
Surname MERRIN
Age 18
Ship Kate
Year 1856
Place of Arival Sydney and/or Newcastle
Copy Reel 2138, [4/4793]; Reel 2473, [4/4961]
ECommerce Category C
Index Number 9

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
I assume that you are basing the 1838 birth year on her reported 65 years at her death in 1903?

Was there an age recorded on the marriage certificate?

Jamjar

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 05:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's John's arrival. I have quite a lot of info about him. It's his wife, Catherine Cavanagh/Kavanagh, who has me a bit stumped.

I haven't been able to find her arrival in NSW online. I know the immigration records are there but I've not been able to find her, either as an assisted immigrant or as an unassisted immigrant. As far as I am aware, the Immigration Deposit Journals are not available online unless you have access to Ancestry.com, which I don't.

I'm interested in the Immigration Deposit Journals because I suspect Catherine and John knew each other in Ireland and that her immigration was sponsored by a relative. Her husband, John, and his two siblings were sponsored by their maternal uncle who was already in NSW and I know this was a common thing with Irish families. Catherine's mother's maiden name was Murphy and a William Murphy was a witness at her marriage to John so I'm wondering whether he may have been an uncle who sponsored her.

As far as the date she arrived in NSW is concerned, Catherine and John were married in February 1860 so she couldn't have arrived in NSW any later than January 1860. She died in 1903 at the age of 63 and it's noted on her death certificate that she had lived in New South Wales for 43 years which would have had her arriving in Sydney in about 1859 at the age of twenty, about three years after her future husband had arrived.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 05:15 BST (UK) »
There is only one of 4 on archives, that comes close:

Catherine CAVANAGH 18 Maria 1850   Sydney and/or Newcastle   Reel 2136, [4/4786] Page 607; Reel

It says that she was 65 in the death notice.

Ages are not always reliable. She could have reduced her age if marrying a younger man.

Jamjar

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 05:24 BST (UK) »
Re Catherine's age:

She married on 9 Feb 1860 and gave her age as 22.

She gave birth to a daughter on 20 November 1860 and gave her age as 23.

She gave birth to a daughter on 12 February 1862 and gave her age as 24.

She gave birth to a son on 21 November 1863 and gave her age as 25.

She gave birth to a daughter on 1 June 1865 and gave her age as 26.

She gave birth to a son on 13 May 1877 and gave her age as 37.

She died on 22 December 1903 and her age was given as 63.