Author Topic: Seafield Terrace Blyth  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seafield Terrace Blyth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 April 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
Then as an additional note, the OS Map dating 1888 - 1913 shows the original terrace and the gardens looking over the tileworks. No doubt after the removel of the old terrace, the 'new' terrace would be given a new name hence the name turning up on later censuses.

That's my theory anyway.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=55.11759&lon=-1.50124&layers=6&right=BingHyb

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all, thanks for the thoughts, ideas, links, suggestions and the super illustration (may i pinch it?).
Yes Stan that is the row I'm on about.

I'm currently of the opinion that Maughan's terrace was on the seaward side of the links road, possibly part of the, "Links" buildings or I'm even wondering if it was the two wing building shown at the end of the track leading to the edge of the links and high water line. The name as printed on one of the maps linked appears to give that impression. In the Censuses I have looked at, I can't find anyone living in Maughan's Terrace.

In the 1891 census there is a, Reeds Farm Tile sheds, with two households in the same building but I'm not sure where that would be. There are 13 Tile shed households and no Seafield Terrace. By 1901 there are six households in Seafield Terrace and still 13 in the Tile sheds which are enumerated after the terrace. It seems to me that the Tile shed houses were probably the square of buildings above, "our" terrace on the map.

P is your theory of an older terrace based on the illustration or other evidence also? If the terrace is only shown on maps after 1891 (is it?) and is known as Seafield by 1901 it seems they would have been built knocked down then re-erected in less than ten years, which would seem a strange thing to do. The advert/pamphlet is clearly of a later date as it gives a phone number. I wonder if the picture was based on an earlier illustration and the artist simply used artistic licence and reversed the houses to make the industrial complex "prettier"?

I have now found two newspaper articles (Blyth News) which refer to Seafield Terrace, one dated September 1928 the other September 1930.

Whatever the events and circumstances, I'm now as sure as I can be that the extant six cottages were/are Seafield Terrace. However please feel free to explode my thoughts, gently please though  :D
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 12:05 BST (UK) »
An image from a slightly different angle encompassing all the elements we have chatted about. This image dates to circa 1905.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
You asked "P is your theory of an older terrace based on the illustration or other evidence also? If the terrace is only shown on maps after 1891 (is it?) and is known as Seafield by 1901 it seems they would have been built knocked down then re-erected in less than ten years, which would seem a strange thing to do. The advert/pamphlet is clearly of a later date as it gives a phone number. I wonder if the picture was based on an earlier illustration and the artist simply used artistic licence and reversed the houses to make the industrial complex "prettier"?"

Yes, my conclusion is based on the drawing and what I see in it. I am not sure why an artist would try to "pretty up" the original. I also note that the maps show completely different outlines and footprints for the two different terraces, so I think the artist did draw the scene as it was. He also shows the sidings within the complex acurately, maps support those sidings in that same format, and the drawing also matches outlines for the tilesheds and the location of the office building, so many thins in the drawing can be matched up to the maps, which would have been surveyed independently. You get my drift. As to why the original terrace might have lasted only a few short years before being demolished or remodelled, there could be all manner of reasons for that. So I am trying to keep it simple and just accept that the artist shewed us what was there in reality.

I hope you agree.

P

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 13:59 BST (UK) »
This map dates from 1896, and shows the houses as they are now with the fronts facing the road, unlike the artist's impression, which has the telephone number on.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/132267662#zoom=6&lat=8252&lon=11259&layers=BT

The 1891 census has the "Tile Sheds" numbered from 1 to 13. On the map you have two rows of 6 houses and one house on it's own, making 13.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 19:11 BST (UK) »
Wow, what a super photo Philip! Have to admit, on first view I thought, "something wrong here, how can the terrace be at that angle compared to the next row of houses?" Sat down, looked and tried to get the head around the view. Foreshortening caused by the camera I thought (the distances are very deceptive) and things began to make sense-ish ::).
Behind the terrace must be part of the, occupied tile sheds and the gable end probably belongs to the house where Gordon Road is, or possibly the house that used to be the end of Wenslydale terrace, the one which still has the old blue name plate. Opposite "our" terrace must be "Blyth Link" with Blagdon terrace behind that and in the far distance the old puffing Billy bridge next to Ridley park. Sadly the photo doesn't give me a clue to where Maughan's terrace might be or have been*.

I like the idea of keeping things simple Philip, and I agree the buildings do reflect the map, but I'm still unsure of the two different terrace theory, though I do agree it is a possibility, (thanks for the pm). This is going to exercise me for quite awhile. I've even wondered, "perhaps the back of the houses reflected the front ??? I know they have all had rear extensions, (a friend lives in one) perhaps there are sealed up arched doorways hidden under plaster and paper waiting to be revealed  ;D. My friend tells me something has been blocked up in his under-stairs cupboard!

I really love the photo; the game of cricket taking place with possibly a young girl playing too. The people observing it, along with the young lad with his bike. I wonder what the crowd are watching at the be-flagged beach hut. The family in the foreground with the young child sneaking a peek around "mum", towards the camera. There is just so much going on.

Thanks for the definitively dated map Stan, it always helps when a map date can be fixed. Are you suggesting that Seafield terrace forms part of the Tile sheds 13? From the 1901 census info. I thought the Seafield six were in addition to the Tile sheds. I was counting at least ten houses in the square and thought the others may be in there too. Looking at Philips illustration I wonder if No 1 is the building with the lean-to just to the right of centre, that would leave me two to find of course.

*Oh and I have just noticed a low wall right in the centre of the photograph, I wonder if this was part of the two wing building I had as an option for Maughan's terrace? Thanks for posting it.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 April 20 00:38 BST (UK) »
Whilst going through a number of old pictures relating to Blyth I came across this one which I thought you'd find interesting so I am sharing it.

Tile Shed Cottages circa 1880! I do not know who the people are though.

P

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 April 20 01:27 BST (UK) »

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 April 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
Another super photo Philip, such a shame we don't have names :(  Thanks for the link barryd, unfortunately not the right Seafield, cheers.