Author Topic: Irwin -Limavady and Roe Valley  (Read 1481 times)

Offline FionaMcDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Irwin -Limavady and Roe Valley
« on: Monday 13 April 20 16:34 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of Irwins of Carrickhugh, Ballykelly, and that line is linked to the Irwins of Drumacarney townland. 

I and other family members have recently got Ancestry DNA test results, and the shared matches have thrown up at least 7 DNA links to Irwin lines living at Drummond townland, Brishey townland Dungiven, Ballyness townland, Drumaduff, Terrydremont. 

I had always suspected there were links way, way back, so nice to hav it confirmed.  The hard (if not impossible part) will be working out the exact connections. 

If anyone else researching Irwins in this area has had their DNA done, I'd love to hear from you.  I have uploaded to FTDNA, and tried to do Gedmatch, but need to try again as the upload failed.  This is all a bit new to me, so not quite sure what to do, or what to expect.

Newtownards - McDonald, MacDonald, McDonnell, McIlroy, McElroy, O'Neill, Snodden, McClurg, Wallace, Scott
Hilltown/Rathfriland - Magill, Young, Truesdale, Hall, McMahon, Stewart, McIlroy, Hanna, Stranaghan, Hood
Limavady area - Ferguson, Cunningham, Irwin, Smith, McFetridge
Belfast - Harbinson (+ Doagh, Co Antrim) Lawther, Halliday, Rolleston, Rolston, Ralston (+ Keady, Co Armagh)
Ballyrashane/Coleraine area - McAfee, Cochrane
Glenarm - Murphy
Moy/Dungannon - Simons, Hobson, Lutton, McWilliams

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irwin -Limavady and Roe Valley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 20 20:17 BST (UK) »
Fiona,I was born in Ballyness and my GGrandmother was an Irwin from the next townland of Derryork. There were several Irwin families in the surrounding area and my grandfather's sister married into one of them. If you have any Stewart connections i will be happy to share what info I have on the families.  Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline FionaMcDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Irwin DNA - Limavady and Roe Valley
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 00:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell,

The Ballyness Irwin tree that I have a DNA link to, goes back to Robert Irwin and Mary McClelland, who married at Boveva in 1873.  I already had their details, plus Robert's parents, Samuel Irwin (1793-1882) and Maria.

I also have two DNA links to Ballyness/Derryork line of Irwins going back to Isaac Irwin (1767-1847) and his wife Martha.  I know two of their daughters married Stewarts, Rebecca Jane to Josiah Stewart and Elizabeth to George Stewart, and Elizabeth's daughter Mary Stewart married John Oliver Irwin.  Would Mary be your great-grandmother?  I think one of the DNA links and/or the person managing the test may both be people who have posted on this page on previous Irwin queries.

I've two DNA links to the descendants of Edward Irwin (1789-1878) who lived at Brishey, but died  in Drumaduff (I think it was his son Thomas's house). 

I've a DNA link to the family of Robert Irwin (1863-1938) and Annie Quinn, who lived at Ballyquin, then possibly Carrick East, then Terrydremont.  I think that link may be from someone who has posted on this page.

I've a DNA link to the family of Joseph Irwin (1764-1843) of Drummond and his wife Isabella. 

My known direct ancestors go back to my 3 x great-grandfather, Joseph Irwin (1800-1897) and his wife Margaret, who lived at Carrickhugh.  His son, Joseph Irwin (c1833-died bet 1858-1892) married Eliza Irwin of Drumacarney (1835-aft 1892).  She was the daughter of Samuel Irwin (1789-1873) and his wife Elizabeth.  I suspect that Samuel senior may have been a brother of Joseph senior, but have not yet been able to prove or disprove this.  I also suspect that Joseph Irwin of Drummond (1764-1843) may have been their father, but again the problem is proving it.

Basically, I have loads of information on descendants of the folk mentioned above.  My problem is finding earlier information to establish how the various family lines are connected to each other.

All the best,
Newtownards - McDonald, MacDonald, McDonnell, McIlroy, McElroy, O'Neill, Snodden, McClurg, Wallace, Scott
Hilltown/Rathfriland - Magill, Young, Truesdale, Hall, McMahon, Stewart, McIlroy, Hanna, Stranaghan, Hood
Limavady area - Ferguson, Cunningham, Irwin, Smith, McFetridge
Belfast - Harbinson (+ Doagh, Co Antrim) Lawther, Halliday, Rolleston, Rolston, Ralston (+ Keady, Co Armagh)
Ballyrashane/Coleraine area - McAfee, Cochrane
Glenarm - Murphy
Moy/Dungannon - Simons, Hobson, Lutton, McWilliams

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 07:13 BST (UK) »
I have a Limavady Irwin connection that I have not got very far on.  They come from around Ballykelly/ Tamlaght Finlagan/Shanreagh.  Kingkerswell has helped me in the past.

Am sure these are all connected but it is huge huge family from that area. 

On 31/5/1843 Isaac Ramsay/Ramage married Ann Irwin.  Ann was known as Nancy.   

On 3/8/1844 they had a son Irwin Ross Ramage (known as Ross Ramage). Ross Ramage was the father of my Grandmother. So my gt grandfather. 

The Ross Ramage family emigrated to NZ in two parties - the father and all but one child in 1884 while Nancy/Ann Irwin Ramage was nursed by her daughter in law until she (Nancy) died in 1885.  Nancy Irwin Ramage was buried, according to the mourning card we have, in Tamlaght Finlagan Old Burying Ground.  No trace there now.

There is also a connection to a Benjamin Irwin who married an Isabella McCully, not sure how.   

Do you have any Ann/Nancy Irwin (married 1843 died 1885) in your tree.  We are in lockdown here on NZ and so I do not have access to the documents that supported the marriage of Ann/Nancy Irwin to Isaac Ramsay/ Ramage.(Just remembered Bobby Forrest got this date from Ballykelly Presbyterian church records I think?)   Just working from a spreadsheet that has the 'mentions' on it. 

There is a poster here that kindly shared some of his Irwine/Irwin tree  with me but I have no authority to on-share any of his work but hopefully he may  see your post and respond if any of your names match his.  His people were also from around Drumcarney Ballykelly I think. 

No DNA yet. On my list of things to do this year. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 11:57 BST (UK) »
Won't show up as DNA match since OH doesn't have any Irwin blood but we do havee Irwin connection-
Leslie Irwin of Ballyness married (1908) Edith Alice Collins of Derryork (her family orginally from Sistrakeel near Ballykelly). Was told they went to Canada but not correct- they moved to New Zealand 1926 (Leslie Irwin) & 1928 (wife & children).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
The spelling of the name needs to be considered - I have seen Irvine and Irwin used interchangeably in the Roe Valley - in the same family -

Variants include Erwin, Erwine, Irvine, Irwin, Irwine

Here's an early entry in Ballykelly Church of Ireland
1809 - Dec 27th Margaret Anne daughter of Joseph & Elisa'th Irwin, Drumakerny [page 42]

Another thing I do know that there was a big connection to various Oliver families in the area too:

There were Irwins too in Drumrane & Ballymore & Largy I think somehow connect to the Drumacarney Irwins but have never found the paper evidence:

William Irwin of Drumrane married Mary Campbell and had issue -
Robert Campbell Irwin (c1790-1863) who married Margaret Oliver (c1800-1871) dau of Thomas & Ann Oliver.
I think the above William Irwin had a brother Joseph Irwin -

Some food for thought -

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
Isaac Irwin, c1767-22 June 1847, and his wife Martha ? c1785 - 20 Nov 1863, were my GGGrandparents.  Their daughter Elizabeth married George Stewart of Ballyness about 1842 and they had 6 children.
       Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 May 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
I'm not an Irwin, but my GGG Grandmother was an Irwin from Drumaduff. I have a lot of Irwin matches on the various ancestry sites.

My Gedmatch is A055025.