Author Topic: Heathville Road, Gloucester, in 1901  (Read 876 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heathville Road, Gloucester, in 1901
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, chaps! I do find it surprising though if Thomas Cochrane had managed to buy a house in Gloucester so soon after arriving from India after such a long absence. He was a Scot (Dumfermline) with no connections to Gloucestershire.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 April 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could he have had a female relative, who had married one of the owner of number 14?
He could then have gone to live there with them.
Looking at the 1901 Census by street, I would suggest that the ones at the top of the list without numbers or names are the ones on that side of the road because all the numbered ones have odd numbers, (bar number 2).
The 1902 oldmap https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/383949/219069/12/100636 is the first one to show a house at that position, I would suggest the road was being developed from that junction northwards during the 1890's
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 April 20 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there, thank you for your reply. Your comments about the house sound very plausible. As for Thomas, he came originally from Dumfermline in Scotland. His wife had died the previous year (in India) and his surviving children were living in America, Nigeria and Wales, so I'm scratching my head a bit as to why he was in Gloucester. I thought at first 14 Heathville Road was a boarding house but on the evidence of this thread this looks unlikely -- it seems to have been a pretty comfortable single-ownership property.

Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 April 20 12:14 BST (UK) »
Looking at the newspapers in the early 1900's some of the houses in Heathville Road had names, not numbers. Some of the houses were built by Edward E. Godwin, who died 22nd March 1903 at 12 Heathville Road, is he the late owner?. Just to add that there adverts for houses to let in Heathville Road, and it could be that the man was renting number 14 or was a boarder.

Froom the Gloucestershire Chronicle 18 April 1903
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 April 20 12:22 BST (UK) »
Fascinating! It is extraordinary what details local newspapers will throw up. Thomas Cochrane was a 'superintendent' on the Bombay, Baroda and Central Indian Railway. He left £1,684 which would be the equivalent of about £208,000 today -- a very respectable amount for a working man to have amassed. I think it's therefore possible financially speaking that he could have been renting the house, but he was on his own -- why rent such a big property?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 April 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
Cheltenham Chronicle 14 July 1900 - Marriage of Alfred Dudley King Godwin, 3rd son of Mr G Godwin of 14 Heathville Road
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 April 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosie! That does suggest that the Godwins would still have been living there when Thomas Cochrane arrived (he attended his son's wedding in London in June). I've had a quick look through their records but can't see any connection to India or the Cochranes. Perhaps the Godwins just wanted a respectable lodger?? Is that likely?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 April 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
Cheltenham Chronicle 14 July 1900 - Marriage of Alfred Dudley King Godwin, 3rd son of Mr G Godwin of 14 Heathville Road

Alfred Dudley King Godwin is the son of  Edward E. Godwin.  Edward E. Godwin was a boarder with Laura Godwin, a widow at 12 Heathville Road in the 1901 census.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 April 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
So in July 1900 Edward E. Godwin lived at 14 Heathville Road, your man died at that address in January 1901, and in March 1901 Edward E. Godwin was living at 12 Heathville Road. It all depends when Edward moved out and who was living there in March 1901. With no numbers in the census it is not possible to be sure.

Stan