Author Topic: Is This Woman James Cooke's Sister or Wife on 1851 Census? Help lookup please.  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
A 1816 Marriage will not show Fathers names and possibly only witnesses.

Witness to William & Ellen's marriage

Hi, thanks for that. Where did you find this image if i might ask?
Tuzio, Verrechia, Quaglieri, Squires, Matthews, Totten, Cooke, Hill

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Couldnt find a Burial for Ellen but found a Marriage;

28 Apr 1851, Loughborough
Ellen COOK, Father Thomas TACEY
Isaac SIMPKIN, Father Thomas Simpkin

1861 Census
Isaac Simpkin   58
Ellen Simpkin   68 Wife Mar born Plymouth, Devon

Ellens Death Reg 1870 age 78

The 1851 Census was taken 30 Match, so married soon after.

Ahh so she married again. Although i have her as being born in Portsmouth from the 1851 Census.

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
marriage of Lily & Mary

Lilly COOKE age 20 father William occ  ?work Knitter
Residence   Loughborough
Marriage 14 Jan 1854  Parish Church Emmanuel Loughborough
Spouse William Rice age 21 father Edward Osborne
Witnesses Thomas Hicklings & Mary SETCHELL
all made their mark (x)
Denomination   Anglican

Mary COOKE Age 20 father William occ framework knitter
Residence   Mill Street
Marriage    08 Jun 1850 Parish Church Emmanuel Loughborough
Spouse William Archbolt Setchell age 24 father Elisha
Spouse's residence   Mill Street
Witnesses Thomas Goddard, Sarah Elliot (x) Mary & William made their mark  (X)
Denomination   Anglican

Edit to add

Mary Setchell (wife of William) Age 26
abode Steward's Yard Church Gate
Burial  22 Apr 1860 Burial Loughborough, All Saints
Denomination   Anglican

wow lots of information. Where do you find this as you have included witnesses but i cant find those records when searching on Ancestry and Familysearch.org

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

wow lots of information.

Where do you find this as you have included witnesses but i cant find those records when searching on Ancestry and Familysearch.org

Apologies for for not including the source found entires on Find My Past
Leicestershire Marriages/Baptism/Burials
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Yes Ellen doesnt seem to know where she was born. Family may have moved around a lot.
There are few Tacey/Tacy entries in Leics in FreeeREG.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

wow lots of information.

Where do you find this as you have included witnesses but i cant find those records when searching on Ancestry and Familysearch.org

Apologies for for not including the source found entires on Find My Past
Leicestershire Marriages/Baptism/Burials

No worries, thanks for your help.
Yes Ellen doesnt seem to know where she was born. Family may have moved around a lot.
There are few Tacey/Tacy entries in Leics in FreeeREG.

Thank you i will have a look on there. Thanks for all your help  :)

Offline mralfreton

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is This Woman James Cooke's Sister or Wife on 1851 Census? Help lookup please.
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 August 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Ellen Cooke's father Thomas Tacey was my 5th great Uncle.
Many years ago I received the following information from a contact on Genes Re-United; you may find it interesting.

"attached to a settlement/Removal order 3rd feb1803.
Examination of Thomas Tacey. Thomas says he's born at Sheepshed where his late father James lived under a certficate from Hathern. When Thomas was about 4 and a half his father died at Sheepshed. Thomas and his mother went to live at Hathern where they continued for about 5yrs. When Thomas was about 10 he bound himself apprentice to John Barrowdale of Sheepshed fwk. for 7yrs; after 6yrs 10 mths his master died and his wife gave up indentures. The cert also states he has a wife Elizabeth and two children Eleanor and James 6 yrs and 2 . I believe Elizabeth was pregnant at the time with a daughter Elizabeth*. Eleanor states she was born Portsmouth on census returns as does James. James baptism is found at Portsea no sign of Eleanor's. I think Thomas may have been in Portsmouth due to the Napoleonic Wars returning in 1802 due to a period of peace. I have spoken to a researcher who is an expert on the Napoleonic wars who also believes so, but !! I've searched all records I can muster rolls etc and cannot find Thomas at all. I dont think he recieved a pension. All I have found was a John Tacey#.
He turns up in the workhouse minute books 1838. Thomas Tacey 71 widower a fwk living at Long Whatton earning 2/- a week son James 35 a fwk one child one unmarried daughter.
Oct 27 1840 Thomas Tacey widower infirm and unable to work recieves 3/6 per week from sick club till last week recieved 7/- is living with his son James 39 fwk and wife and one child he has a daughter Ellen Cooke with 4 children in the workhouse. To be relieved with 4lb bread a week. Aug 31 1841 Thomas Tacey 74 widow resident Long Whatton. The pay from his club reduced to 1/-to be allowed additional ? bread per week.
1841 Loughborough workhouse minute books Oct 12th Thomas Tacey 74 relieved with 6 and 8lbs bread also recieved 2/6 from club which has now stopped in payment to be relieved with 1/-"

*this child was named Mary as shown in the Leicestershire Baptisms records on FindMyPast (a great source for Leicestershire Parish Records).

#Research of the Napoleonic Wars period and its affect on Portsea shows that there were many persons moving there as well as the militia, including tradesmen etc. This was shown on the WDYTYA episode for Brian Blessed whose stationer/bookseller ancestor moved there to trade.

My brick wall is finding a link between the Taceys of Shepshed /Hathern with those of Barrow on Soar/Quorn. These towns and villages are only about 5 miles apart as the crow flies so there must be a connection! The problem is finding one that can be proved.

The person who shared Thomas's info said she had records going several generations further back on his maternal ancestors side (Hutchinson) but we lost touch.