Author Topic: John Munro Birth about 1836  (Read 1126 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Munro Birth about 1836
« on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
In researching a Christina Munro I found some links  to a John Munro .  Many details are at this thread

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=817361.0

Many thanks to all those who added valuable information to my search.  It seems that Munro was a VERY common name and it was found that a Munro would marry a Munro and given names were often the same.  Not unusual I'm sure.

From that thread and link above..

This new information suggests that George and Mary Munro had a son John born about 1836 in Tain(?).  However, I have not found that birth.

That John Munro, born about 1836, marries a Flora Munro, daughter of John Munro and Catherine Ross

There is an 22 Aug 1862 marriage Free Manse of Tain( Thanks CaroleW-my error) and  census and other documents support this. 

They had a son John born about 1864.  He marries a Margaret McEachern at Tarbat Ness Lighthouse, 21 June 1892 .

In 1901 Scotland census we find

At Railway Cottages, Little Dunkeld, Perthshire
Head: John MUNRO 37, Railway Porter, b Tain Rossshire (abt 1864)
Wife: Margaret 29, b Tarbetness, Rossshire
Son: Archibald J , 7, b Little Dunkeld
Son: John Claud 4,  b Little Dunkeld
Son: Angus Mc E,  1

Things start to fit around the Canadian records.

We find an arrival for John and Margaret Munro with three children
Arrived NY on  13 May 1907 on the Caledonia (same ship, 3 months before possible  Christina Munro who was the starting person of this)
John MUNRO 44, Railway Porter, last residence Birnam, Scotland, b Tain
Final destination: Ailsa Craig, East William.
Going to, Uncle Roderick Munro, East William
Destination Canada
Travelling with:
Wife: Margaret 32, b Tarbet
Son: Archibald 11, Angus 5, Claud 3 - all born Birnam

Roderick makes sense by name but I have not found his residence in 1911 Canada census to confirm this is the same man.  He passes in 1920 in London, Ontario. Parents John and Mary and John, Nephew, on Hackett street informant.  Address is same as Roderick's sister Christina based on her death record.  That John I think could be the John born to John and Flora

As noted earlier, Christina's death record has mother as Catherine Ross.  Did informant John use his grandmother's name in error?  It was "not known" on original and then some months later, changed to Catherine Ross.

Many things point to George and Mary Munro having a son John born about 1836 in Tain who then married Flora Munro and had a son John born about 1864.  Just can't seem to find the births or other significant documents. 
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Munro Birth about 1836
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
Re John Munro/Flora Munro marriage - you say you are unable to find a document supporting the marriage

Have you already ruled out the 1862 marriage in Tain on SP?

Re John b 1836 - do you have his death cert confirming parents names?

EDIT

1862 marriage details already given on previous thread

If you are trying to prove conclusively that John b 1836 was the son of George & May/Mary Munro then his death cert will provide that info

1836 birth on SP parents George & May Munro
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
I haven't found a death for John Munro born about 1836.

I have received information from a local (London,Ontario) cemetery that a John Munro and a Margaret Munro are buried there. 

Possible this is John 1836's son

John Munro
Birth about 1866  Ross and Cromarty, Scotland  Death Unknown

Margaret Maceachern
Birth SEP 1870 Tarbetrushire, Scotland
Death 12 MAY 1921 London, Middlesex, Ontario, Canada

The cemetery office is now closed as is the cemetery itself so no way to visit and view the marker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 19:44 BST (UK) »
Birth of Margaret Jamima Maceachern registered in 1867 in Tarbat Registration District, County of Ross and Cromarty. The IGI indexes this as born 2 September 1867, parents Archibald Maceachern and Catherine McLeod.

Do these match the parents on that 1892 marriage certificate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
I have Margaret Maceachern's parents as Archibald Maceachern and Catherine McLeod.  This is based on her death record in Canada that gave her birth date as September 24.  Husband John Munro was informant.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 April 20 16:10 BST (UK) »
I am afraid that in this welter of threads and messages I have rather lost track of what you have and have not seen.

Have you looked at all of the following at Scotland's People
- the marriage record of George Munro and May/Marjory Munro (Alness and Tain, 1828)
- the baptism record of Jane Munro, daughter of George Munro and May Munro (Alness, 1830)
- the baptism record of Christian, daughter of George Munro and May Munro (Kiltearn, 1834)
- the baptism record of John Munro, son of George Munro and May Munro (Tain, 1836)
- the baptism record of Christy, daughter of George Munro and May Munro (Kiltearn, 1839)
- the census record showing George, May, Jane, John, Christy and Mary Ross (Alness, 1841)
- the census record showing Roderick (92), Janet (60) and Mary (9) (Tain, 1841)
- the census, showing George (50), May (44), Mary (18), John (15), Chirsty (12), Bell (6) and George (3) (Tain, 1851)
- the census, showing George (55), Mary (50), John (24), Christina (21) and Alexandrina (8) (Tain, 1861)
- the death certificate of May Munro (Tain, 1861)
- the marriage certificate of John Munro and Flora Munro (Tain, 1862)
- the birth certificate of John Munro, son of John Munro and Flora Munro (Tain, 1865)
- the birth certificate of Margaret MacEachern, daughter of Archibald MacEachern and Catherine McLeod (Tarbat, 1867)
- the census, showing George (70), Christina (31) and Lexy (18) (Tain, 1871)
- the census, showing John (34), Flora (33), John (5), Catherine Mary A (3) and George (1) (Tain, 1871)
- the death certificate of George Munro (Tain, 1877)
- the marriage certificate of Andrew Urquhart and Christian Munro (Tain, 1879)
- the census showing John (41), Flora (46), John (16), Mary Ann (13), George (10) and Catherine (7) (Tarbat, 1881)
- the marriage certificate of John Munro and Margaret McEachern (Tarbat, 1892)?
- the death certificate of Flora Munro (Tarbat, 1896)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Update on the John Munro born about 1865

I was able to access the local cemetery as they are now open for four hours Saturday and Sunday but office remains closed.

I was able to find a marker for John Munro and Margaret  Maceachern.  Johns birth says 1865 and both dates match for Margaret.

John passed in 1956.

Once the cemetery office reopens, they could have his parents listed. 

Image seems resistant to proper orientation.  Have tried rotating original and a copy but always displays rotated right