Author Topic: Common ancestor too far back for 223.3‎ cM match?  (Read 720 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Common ancestor too far back for 223.3‎ cM match?
« on: Tuesday 14 April 20 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, looking for some help with a close match of my mum's.

My mum has tested with My Heritage, one of her closest matches is with an RM at 223.3 cM.

RM was adoped, RM's son manages the accounts and he states that RM knows who his birth mother is and knows her ancestry. When comparing RM's birth mother's ancestry with my own maternal side there is a common ancestor, but it's quite far back for a match of 223.3 cM.

The common ancestors are my mum's 3x great-grandparents. This doesn't seem right for a match of that size, but I could be wrong.

It's entirely possible that my mum matches RM elsewhere (even on his birth father, of which they have no information), her ancestry is heavily localised. In fact, my mum and dad share common ancestors as well, and I have found matches with myself who match my mum and dad on separate chromosomes.

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I suppose it's possible that we share more than one common ancestor making the match with RM appear closer than it really is. I know it's relatively rare, but I have already experienced this with another match (not related to RM) where they match my mum on one chromosome and my dad on another and they don't share mutuals.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Common ancestor too far back for 223.3‎ cM match?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
Chances are there is another match through the birth father, much closer. Look at matches the two of you share in common and see if you can find a triangulation.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 23:29 BST (UK) »
Chances are there is another match through the birth father, much closer. Look at matches the two of you share in common and see if you can find a triangulation.

Thank you, I did suspect this would be the case. There are some hints as to where the match might be in a particular line unrelated to RM's mother. Just a case of waiting on replies at the moment. Thanks again.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline tommy-tipper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 May 20 15:51 BST (UK) »
This might be of help