Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)  (Read 15761 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 April 20 09:15 BST (UK) »
Well I admit I did not think they were protecting me, so I have slapped my own wrists !
I agree with Colin,better to carry on with the lockdown too long than end it too soon.
My second son’s Birthday today,61, I have just phoned him, he is working from home .
I have heard of three little dogs needing re- homing as their owner has died from Corona Virus.
I would only want one, no great distance from me but anywhere is too far these days.
Lovely sunny day again and once more I hope you are all well and safe .
Viktoria.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 April 20 10:02 BST (UK) »
Well we are about to extend the lockdown for at least another three weeks and I am still amazed by number of the people who make no attempt to stay 2 metres away from you. Despite there being very little traffic cyclists are still riding on the pavement expecting pedestrians to get out of the way. I fully support extending the lockdown but unless people do change their ways the virus will just get out of control again when it is lifted.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 April 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else found that
some people ,because we are old ,treat us as if we have the virus?
My young neighbours,two young children,think nothing of having many relatives round ,for example on Easter Sunday laden with Easter Eggs, no distance between them .
Yet they keep a good distance between themselves and me!

No, quite the opposite I believe. They are doing that, as they see you as older and more vulnerable to the virus so are doing their bit to keep their distance from you. It's a good thing.

We have not met many people on our daily exercise, and mainly the same people. Most days a maximum of 4 occasionally as many as six, possibly 12 different people over the entire week. How they react depends on whether our granddaughter is in her wheelchair or walking between us.

If she is in her wheelchair we walk in single file either myself or my wife pushing and most will walk up the opposite side of what was the track bed, none will come less then 2 metres from us, if there is room they or we will stop in a slightly wider part until we or they pass. If our granddaughter is walking between us we take up 90% of the available space so we will move to one side and stop while they walk past. In some places there is a path on the embankment and if we are seen the dog walkers will if possible use that route if they are near an access path to it.
Everyone is very friendly & cheery and will give a wave or say good morning, sometimes our granddaughter will get get encouragement or congratulations for her effort from someone on the embankment which makes her really pleased.

I know this is a tiny example but is a very encouraging example of the community spirit that exists.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 April 20 12:13 BST (UK) »
I've lost track of these statistics they keep serving up to us every day.

I naively thought they were figures for all deaths attributed to the virus for that 24 hours. Now, we're told that they're only hospital deaths and don't include deaths in Care Homes or in family homes. So what on earth is the point in comparing these figures to those from other countries?

Are we to understand from this that elderly people's deaths don't matter because - hey - they would have gone soon anyway!  >:( 

As for Tigger Hancock's promise of a Blue Peter badge for all NHS frontline workers - words fail me!!

I haven't been fooled into standing outside my front door and clapping every Thursday either. Talking of conspiracies, this is a smoke screen concocted by the government to conceal the fact that they couldn't give NHS staff  the right protective equipment from the off.

Before someone accuses me of not caring - of course, I care, but I won't be manipulated into a mindless exercise that is just designed to keep us all from realising what is really going on.

I also have a near neighbour who insists on letting off fireworks on a Thursday evening at 8pm and frightening the life out of my cat. If I knew who it was, I'd gladly defy social distancing and stick his (for it will be a man) fireworks where the sun don't shine.

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 April 20 12:59 BST (UK) »
   "Radio 4 is on most of the time I'm staying home."
  This has always been the case in my house, as I like to be informed on all sorts of subjects while doing mindless tasks, but not now. I am really fed up with almost every programme being about aspects of the virus and its effects. That way lies depression and madness!

"I haven't been fooled into standing outside my front door and clapping every Thursday either."
       I am with you on this, but will not say any more on the subject.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 April 20 13:33 BST (UK) »

I naively thought they were figures for all deaths attributed to the virus for that 24 hours. Now, we're told that they're only hospital deaths and don't include deaths in Care Homes or in family homes. So what on earth is the point in comparing these figures to those from other countries?

The point is many other countries use the same figures when recording pandemic deaths, though not all do.

There is also another reason and that is the way death is recorded in England and Wales, there is no requirement to register a death immediately there is a period of up to five days in which to register a death which means an accurate daily figure cannot be given

Are we to understand from this that elderly people's deaths don't matter because - hey - they would have gone soon anyway!  >:( 

No, but some try to score political points that way. The problem is Care Homes and individuals use a paper based system to record a death and it may take two days for an appointment at the register office.

As for Tigger Hancock's promise of a Blue Peter badge for all NHS frontline workers - words fail me!!

The badges are more to make it easier for NHS & Care Workers to access supermarkets easily instead of being challenged, but I do agree it is rather lame.

I haven't been fooled into standing outside my front door and clapping every Thursday either. Talking of conspiracies, this is a smoke screen concocted by the government to conceal the fact that they couldn't give NHS staff  the right protective equipment from the off.

You obviously have not been in the transport industry, it is not uncommon for transport companies to have to collect delivered parcels as the wrong item has been dispatched from the suppliers. It is very common for transport companies who deliver to Council run warehouses to get complaints that goods have not been delivered only to produce proof of delivery document proving the items have been delivered. When there is time for a proper investigation I would not be surprised to learn the many of the missing items are lying in Council waiting forward delivery.
That is one of the reasons the army is delivering from the bilk warehouse to the hospitals direct.

In a similar way many Care Homes were responsible for ordering their own supplies from private suppliers, this vast “customer base” has now been added to the NHS supply chain.
PPE requirements are very different depending on the needs of each individual location it is not a one size fits all arrangement that many seem to think it is, some care homes do not even have enough room to accept 2 weeks supply if it was delivered.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 April 20 13:51 BST (UK) »
A simple question for Jillruss but why blame the Government for shortage of protective equipment in the NHS? Surely they have their own well paid management structure and procurement staff and sourcing and resourcing is their responsibility, not the Government's. I do believe that we need to take a long hard look at the performance of the NHS when normality returns to see what lessons can be learned.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 April 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
A simple question for Jillruss but why blame the Government for shortage of protective equipment in the NHS? Surely they have their own well paid management structure and procurement staff and sourcing and resourcing is their responsibility, not the Government's. I do believe that we need to take a long hard look at the performance of the NHS when normality returns to see what lessons can be learned.

I couldn't agree more - but what's the betting it won't happen?
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 April 20 14:05 BST (UK) »

The point is many other countries use the same figures when recording pandemic deaths, though not all do.

So, again, what is to be gained from comparing them?

There is also another reason and that is the way death is recorded in England and Wales, there is no requirement to register a death immediately there is a period of up to five days in which to register a death which means an accurate daily figure cannot be given

I get all that, Guy, but my understanding is that they don't include care home figures at any time, whether its a few days later or not.

No, but some try to score political points that way. Its not a political point: its a humanitarian one.The problem is Care Homes and individuals use a paper based system to record a death and it may take two days for an appointment at the register office.

The badges are more to make it easier for NHS & Care Workers to access supermarkets easily instead of being challenged, but I do agree it is rather lame.

You obviously have not been in the transport industry, it is not uncommon for transport companies to have to collect delivered parcels as the wrong item has been dispatched from the suppliers. It is very common for transport companies who deliver to Council run warehouses to get complaints that goods have not been delivered only to produce proof of delivery document proving the items have been delivered. When there is time for a proper investigation I would not be surprised to learn the many of the missing items are lying in Council waiting forward delivery.
That is one of the reasons the army is delivering from the bilk warehouse to the hospitals direct.
No idea if that's right but it seems to me that they should have been using the army as soon as all this started.

In a similar way many Care Homes were responsible for ordering their own supplies from private suppliers, this vast “customer base” has now been added to the NHS supply chain.
PPE requirements are very different depending on the needs of each individual location it is not a one size fits all arrangement that many seem to think it is, some care homes do not even have enough room to accept 2 weeks supply if it was delivered. Which is another way of saying - carehomes shouldn't be run for profit and should be part of the NHS. (and, yes, that WAS a political point!

Cheers
Guy
HELP!!!