Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)  (Read 15826 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)
« Reply #198 on: Friday 31 July 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pheno.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Friday 31 July 20 17:03 BST (UK) »
It obviously depends where you live on your attitude towards this virus.  As I mentioned, I live in a safe part of the country, no commuters bringing viruses from cities, near to the sea and countryside, and despite there being over 35 (not a typing error) residential/nursing homes/homes for mentally retarded people (sorry if that's not the correct terminology) within a mile of my house, there have only been 6 deaths in total since before lockdown and I'm sure those 6 would probably have died anyway.  I belong to a local group called Garden Buddies.  We usually just meet up and visit gardens etc. and have a coffee and a cake.  Of course, because of the virus we stopped doing it but, this afternoon, I had a 'phone call from one of the committee members (a small committee, I think there are about 3 of them), they had decided that we would have small meetings of no more than 6 people, by invitation, to other members' gardens.  So I, and 4 others will be going round to her garden on Saturday 8 August.  We're taking our own mugs for coffee and we will be having biscuits from a packet opened in front of us rather than cake.

Tomorrow, in a road just round the corner from me, three adjacent houses are having a sale of plants, crafts etc. in their front gardens.  They've asked that people wear masks and gloves and keep a safe distance.  I'll be going.  Locally, other people have had sales of plants in their gardens.

I'm sorry for those of you who live in or near cities, especially in the midlands and north of England where you are back in lockdown, but I don't think the rest of us should be expected to put ourselves in lockdown when we are in such a low risk area.

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Friday 31 July 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

I was delighted to read your birthday account.  We did the same for my grand-daughter's fourth birthday earlier this month and it was one of the most enjoyable child's parties I have been to, probably because of this year's circumstances.

Living in inner city London, I have no problem with people making the most of, and finding enjoyment in these times.  Right now, one of our Somali neighbour families are celebrating Eid on the back grass to our flats (an aunty and uncle with their children have joined them, so two bubbles have come together.)  They are singing joyful songs, dancing, and everyone is obeying the social distancing guidelines, just as we did.

Kind regards and sending good vibes to all, regardless of your circumstances today.

Gaie x
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Friday 31 July 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gaie.  Mum was heavily pregnant 40 weeks + 5 days and had wanted the baby to arrive before her daughter's birthday, or afterwards.  He arrived 11.25pm in the evening of her daughter's birthday.  She went into labour about 7.30pm after the party!  So now she's got 2 children, 2 years apart sharing the same birthday.

I forgot to mention that my husband plays bowls and the council allowed the outdoor bowls club to open up again a few weeks ago.  They were playing in pairs on alternate greens but from last week they were allowed to use all the greens.  As I said, things are very safe where I live.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Sunday 02 August 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
I am not even going to consider when we will be getting back to normal  if we ever do, it is out of our hands, EXCEPT,  we all ought to consider others and be sensible, to be honest I am finding with subject very depressing

Louisa Maud

A friend of mine who is 82 and his grandson of 21 not living together  have both been chosen to see if they have had the virus or are carriers, has anyone been asked to do the test through the post and a courier will collect it?

Louisa maud

Hi Louisa and All

Try not to get down.

Regarding authorised Testers, I can only find makers under consideration.

The 4 commercial tests considered were manufactured by Abbott, DiaSorin, Roche and Siemens. 8th July 2020.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-head-to-head-laboratory-evaluation-of-4-commercial-serological-assays
 ----------
After all the scams, I'd research them (if interested), to try and make my own judgement, regarding anything arriving in the post.
 ----------
Regarding the "seesaw" effect, there is no rule book. Most of the time it is try small and gradual lockdown releases and see what happens, if cases increase too quick or climb - then go backward one or two spaces.

I think anyone running the country would face ... the same realism that in the past it has taken years, to eradicate infectious diseases, especially one countrywide.

All the best, Mark

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Sunday 02 August 20 21:35 BST (UK) »
Well I have heard it all, Antiques Road Show, a lacquered box, Chinese style but actually Korean.
The valuer  said the bat was a Chinese good luck symbol,the  bringer of  good fortune !!!!!
Oh yeah?
Try telling that  to those who have had Covid 19,seeing how the Pandemic can be traced back to meat somehow infected by bats.

Well a good day today ,Tesco  delivery all OK except the pack of masks was
open and one missing .
Phoned and prompt refund and apology but keep the masks anyway.
Was going to have lemon pepper chicken for tea but somehow I had not put some ham in the fridge , busy wiping things down ,it was out about an hour so  decided I ought to eat it .
It was an offer of two packs so explained to a neighbour and asked would she use the second pack, so they had ham for  tea too.
She always asks do I need anything,she was a pupil at a school I worked at
and I remember her very well, and she me.
She is now a teacher,and is just or was ,in the process of starting a Forest School .

Everything cut out and tacked  for covering a square lidded padded stool, cushion covers etc ready for when the machine is repaired or when I get a new machine or when my son can come in and carry the very old heavy Singer,converted from a hand machine with a little motor and foot control,but HEAVY!
It is in the bedroom ,on the floor and I can’t move it, I have nothing to stand it on upstairs either.
My dear old neighbour was not up and about this morning by eleven, I phinrd but no answer, so phoned her daughter who came , neighbour was not feeling well so was still in bed , went round with some cakes  ,not knowing she was still in bed, daughter  answered the door and said she was staying overnight
at least.
Hope she is OK but at over 90 it is worrying.

So sorry to read of others’ troubles, and the added worry of rising figures.
At such a difficult time is there no simple kindness ?
It takes a really nasty person to be like Roobarb’s neighbour , and the other
unpleasant ones too , what do they get from it?

Well we oldies have to stay in again, I was going to anyway, I have all I need,materially, can occupy myself.
Just wish I could see my family ,especially Flash Harry.

Keep your chins up everyone ,didn’t let the buzzards get you down!
Or words to that effect!
Let’s all think of one another tonight, positive thoughts and hopes,  I do sometimes think it helps ,there have been odd moments in my life when someone was looking out for me  ,tonight let’s do it for out RootsChat  friends and any anyone else .
Sleep well, if you can , if sleep eludes you ,write that book - mentally- you have always meant to do.
Cheerio and kindest thoughts to you all .
Viktoria.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Sunday 02 August 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
  Viktoria - I had a Singer, but mine was converted from a treadle, with motor and foot pedal, like yours. And yes, it was heavy. I used to be able to lift it alright, but a year or two ago I gave it to a local charity which sends such things to Africa.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Sunday 02 August 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
I bought mine from an English girl in Belgium ,it was a real bargain.
It was super for heavy materials like curtains ,the foot went down with a very satisfactory CLUNK.
My granddaughter says she might like it .
Don’t know how old it is, must look in the little book that came with it.

Just looked it up,they are sold now for up to £395.
The number is 15K80,google it .
My mother’s old Singer  was terrific, in a cabinet it rose up when you pressed a button.My Dad bought it for her .In 1920’s .
It got a lot  of money for charity.A collector bought it ,theCharity put it in the window and a visitor to our town, by the privately owned steam trainEast Lancs Railway,came for a day visit and bought a vintage sewing machine!
If only I could use this one.
It really is heavy.
I forgot to look up the date!
Will do.
Viktoria.