Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)  (Read 15851 times)

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 April 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
On the subject of the statistics on April 10th there was a spike in new infections with the days total being over 8000 Turns out that testing results not previously included were all added in on one day! These testing results are now included in each day's figures, meaning that current figures are not directly comparable with those of a week or more ago. As regards care home deaths earlier this week the BBC were reporting that a quarter of the deaths in Scottish figures were in care homes so it does seem that there may be a lack of consistency within the UK in how the statistics are compiled; I do not place too much faith in the UK's statistics.

A further interesting statistic quoted in today's press is that spare capacity in the NHS is now at a record level with thousands of beds free. Is that good news or bad news? The bad news answer is that this suggests that many people who would have been in hospital for non Covid reasons are not there and so not getting the care and treatment they require. On the other hand the rationale of the lockdown was to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed so we seem to have avoided that danger; logically we should now be seeing the lockdown starting to unwind but the rumours are that our Government, despite meeting their objective, will continue with the lockdown.

I know it is an old joke but don't forget that a man with one foot in a freezer and the other foot in an oven is statistically quite comfortable.!
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 April 20 15:01 BST (UK) »

So, again, what is to be gained from comparing them?

By comparing we can get some idea how the virus is advancing or diminishing in the various countries, it is a broad view not an accurate comparison

I get all that, Guy, but my understanding is that they don't include care home figures at any time, whether its a few days later or not.

Not so the GRO publish the overall figure but that is at least a week later and not daily

No idea if that's right but it seems to me that they should have been using the army as soon as all this started.[/color]

Hindsight is often more accurate than foresight but we are where we are. What I question is why people in care homes are not transferred to hospital immediately they show symptoms.

Which is another way of saying - carehomes shouldn't be run for profit and should be part of the NHS. (and, yes, that WAS a political point!

Perhaps so there is much to be said for both points of view, I could make many observations about the council run care homes just as there is much to say about the private hospitals we have in this country, there is good and bad in both but now is not the time.

I also think that it is long past time for the NHS to be taken out of politics completely, why can't those in government come together in an all party groups and devise long term strategy by agreement. The private partnerships agreed by the Tony Blair Labour party has cause financial problems to many Hospital  Authorities up and down the country

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 April 20 15:38 BST (UK) »

As for Tigger Hancock's promise of a Blue Peter badge for all NHS frontline workers - words fail me!!

The Secretary of State for Health and Social Care is Matt Hancock.
The badge is not for NHS staff, it is for carers outside the NHS.
The proposal for a Care badge was not initiated by Matt Hancock or anyone in Government but by representatives of the care sector. Matt Hancock's press briefing yesterday was followed on "PM" by an interview with one such representative. She said that Care England launched the carer's badge a year ago and she was pleased that the government is formally recognising it, and thereby acknowledging the huge contribution of carers. The Social Care part of the secretary of state's title is often overlooked, especially in the present situation.

Information about the CARE badge:
www.thecarebadge.org
This explains that the idea dates from March 2019. ("The story behind the Care badge" further down page.)

www.careengland.org.uk/news/care-badge
The launch of the CARE badge by Care England, June 2019.

www.careengland.org.uk/care-badge
"Care England are proud to support the CARE badge and proud to support those who care."
" the CARE badge is a unifying symbol of pride in our social care champions  ...  It is a long overdue recognition for the 2 million people employed in care outside the NHS ..."

Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 16 April 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Well, just to add to the mayhem,news this lunchtime,Italy thinks the rest of Europe did not act swiftly enough to help Italy!

Now ,,the world ,including Italy of course , could blame a country which has been mentioned quite often as the source of Covid 19,
but many of those who did were rather shot down!
If that is indeed the case what have we all the right to expect from the aforesaid country ?
My hope  is that  we once again produce much more in our own country.
Are more reliant on home industries so employment reaches a good level and we are not such a benefit oriented culture as people are employed in good jobs.
It seems now we are bringing  in foreign workers to pick crops that otherwise would rot in the fields .
I don’t understand that —-
What an upheaval , and what does the future hold for the little children playing in their gardens in the sunshine all round me.
My second son is 61 today ,  working at his home , so short phone call but will speak again this evening.
Well my tulips are almost open, Allium big and strong , everlasting sweet pea up and strong,the Peony I thought had succumbed is looking healthy ,so are many more plants in my front and rear gardens.
Sikkensed the bench and table,then did my neighbour’s gate which needed doing she mentioned , just in passing ,not a request but it took all of ten minutes !
Off to get the Sikkens from my hands,arms and feet! ::

It would serve Italy right if we never ate spaghetti again!
And the other place ,well, what can I say ——-
I will leave it to others .
Viktoria.
Please don’t be Cross with me, remember I had a baby today!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 April 20 16:47 BST (UK) »
Some profound thoughts Viktoria along with some positive ones as usual.

I read the post earlier about a number of things, one of them the clapping for the NHS being seen as a smokescreen created by the government. That rather upset me, I'd like to strongly point out that I'm clapping so that the NHS workers can see how much they are appreciated by us, the people of Britain, not for any other reason. I'm sure this applies to the vast majority. I didn't even know that the government had originated this and I don't really care.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 16 April 20 16:55 BST (UK) »

I haven't been fooled into standing outside my front door and clapping every Thursday either. Talking of conspiracies, this is a smoke screen concocted by the government to conceal the fact that they couldn't give NHS staff  the right protective equipment from the off

It isn’t a government concocted smokescreen.

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/clap-for-our-carers/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 16 April 20 16:57 BST (UK) »

I haven't been fooled into standing outside my front door and clapping every Thursday either. Talking of conspiracies, this is a smoke screen concocted by the government to conceal the fact that they couldn't give NHS staff  the right protective equipment from the off

It isn’t a government concocted smokescreen.

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/clap-for-our-carers/
Blooming immigrants, coming over here and clapping for our carers.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 16 April 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder how long it will be before someone is manufacturing CARE badges and selling them on Ebay?

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 16 April 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
Big delivery today from Rosario:  2 dozen oranges, 1 large babaco, 4 maracuyá, 5 grenadillas, 4 naranjillas, 6 apples, 6 tangerines, a bunch of bananas, 4 beets, 1 lb of chochos, a small bag of fava beans, 4 choclos, 1 large yuca, a cheese, a dozen eggs, 8 liters of milk, half a liter of sunflower oil and a pound of pork.  $29.50.

Ah, it feels good to be stocked up.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis