Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)  (Read 15818 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 13:02 BST (UK) »

Someone has set off fireworks on the past 2 Thursday evenings immediately after clapping for carers.

I have seen a notice online where Key workers are requesting that fireworks are not let off as they are going home from work to find their pets really stressed.   

I have to stay indoors as my dog gets stressed with the saucepan lids etc being banged as well as the odd firework.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
The UK Biobank is making available its data in Covid-19 research.
https://www.ukbiobank.ac.uk/
Worth a read I think.
 :)

Very interesting and not only for the present situation.
I recommend "BBC Inside Science" on Thursday, 9th April, Radio 4. It's probably on BBC Sounds/IPlayer. Apart from the items on coronavirus, I had a particular interest in another piece about genomics testing of cancer tumours which benefitted me recently.
 Adam Rutherford, regular presenter of "BBC Inside Science" was recovering from coronavirus when the programme was made. He was interviewed on a Radio 4 news programme and said he was shocked at how it had affected him, a healthy person in his 40's. 
Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
Lancashire’s Fire Chief ,Justin Jarman
stated the fires were either deliberate arson or very careless use of a barbecue at a picnic.
The mind boggles ,how stupid and probably careless too!
I did not see or smell any smoke ,only  saw it on the TV news.

Has anyone else found that
some people ,because we are old ,treat us as if we have the virus?
My young neighbours,two young children,think nothing of having many relatives round ,for example on Easter Sunday laden with Easter Eggs, no distance between them .
Yet they keep a good distance between themselves and me!
However we can chat across the narrow lane and over the fences.

Lovely weather again, lots done in the garden.
Hope everything is alright with you all.
Viktoria.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
Whilst I have every admiration for the NHS and other key workers, I cannot help but feel that there is now an element of "competitive showing of appreciation" creeping in and that the Thursday night event is now almost obligatory, with some postings, it seems, on social media being critical of people who do not take part - social shaming. That is not right, there is a choice.
The 5G mast problem is really beyond belief, especially when you think that the 5G system is being used by these half-wits to disseminate this ridiculous mis-information. As I have previously said, I assume these people, had they been around at the right time, would have been out hunting down and burning witches.
Also, apparently, Boris Johnson hasn't been seriously ill in hospital. It seems that a great number of people are in on the conspiracy to hide the fact he was avoiding our current situation and hospital staff have had to sign the Official Secrets Act to prevent them from whistle blowing.
Yeah, right!.
I was always under the impression that the more people involved in a conspiracy the less the chances of it remaining a secret.
It really is concerning that there are so many idiots out there.
 :)

Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else found that
some people ,because we are old ,treat us as if we have the virus?
My young neighbours,two young children,think nothing of having many relatives round ,for example on Easter Sunday laden with Easter Eggs, no distance between them .
Yet they keep a good distance between themselves and me!

No, quite the opposite I believe. They are doing that, as they see you as older and more vulnerable to the virus so are doing their bit to keep their distance from you. It's a good thing.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
I was going to suggest the same Trystan.
When we go for our walk and see people approaching, more often than not younger people are the ones to cross over or move away first so that we don’t have to do so. I must admit, not feeling old, it seems a bit strange but I think they are being courteous. We always say thanks and exchange a greeting.
It was lovely today when a young mum with a toddler in his pushchair stepped aside and as we passed and thanked  her, the little one waved and called bye bye’.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
Radio 4 is on most of the time I'm staying home. Different aspects of the pandemic on 3 programmes today.
"Inside Health: the Virus" (series) mentioned some research on runners and joggers. Findings unproven - more research needed. All the same, I paused on my walk to let a jogger put a long distance between him and me so that I wasn't plodding in his jetstream.
"Costing the Earth" - impact on the environment.
"Fallout"  - impact on healthcare. Programme 3 of 4.
Cowban

guest189040

« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 April 20 00:14 BST (UK) »
With UK and international News especially the USA now starting to hint at relaxation of the lockdown this I believe is the wrong action at this time.

We need to remain vigilant for at least the next few weeks and maintain the lockdown and only to start relaxing when the infection rate has been on a steep downward curve for a couple if weeks.  Even then to maintain social distancing and a gradual return to work.

There is not a quick fix, it is a long haul.

Better to be safe than to drop ones guard and be caught out.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 April 20 08:09 BST (UK) »
Two women were coughing behind me in the Aldi queue (for the weekly food). I thought the furthest one away sounded like a smoker's cough who just happened to cough openly my way into the air, just when I turned round. The nearest had a hum dinger, deep lungy cough!

Now I know what it feels like in the 1840/1850s for my Hood ancestors during the Cholera outbreak!

Having money, better living conditions and owning their own town houses was still no barrier, because four adult children in the household died per my ancestor's Death Certificates (newspaper says some after long illnesses).

A National Report (summarised in a Newspaper) names the town and says the town was also infected from the liquid through the churchyard wall onto the pavement.

Part of the Abbey Churchyard today is still almost level with the top of the boundary wall and our Government's Home Office ordered its closure 1850s on Public Health grounds.

Mark

Added
There are several Home Office series of Volumes and Files at TNA, Kew, regarding Burials 1840s & 1850s.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Burials&_cr=HO&_dss=range&_sd=1830&_ed=1860&_ro=any&_hb=tna&_st=adv