Author Topic: James Wilson and Prudence Downs' grandchildren  (Read 360 times)

Offline Tarella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Wilson and Prudence Downs' grandchildren
« on: Wednesday 15 April 20 05:13 BST (UK) »
 Born 1818 between 1880 -1897 resident 73 Cardigan St, Duddleston. Ex Crimea War and Drill Inspector B'ham Police.
Children Mary Jane 1848, Sarah Ann 1850, Jessy Wilson 1855-65, Clara 1858-1890 [children James & Annie), Emmanette 1868 - 1944 (dies in South Africa - four daughters born between 1890 and 1900, all died in South Africa.

Picture of James Wilson with six grandchildren circa 1895 - so cant be Emmanatte's daughters.

Unable to find reliable record of spouse of Sarah Ann Wilson - so don't know if she married and had six children - is the photo of grandchildren from two families?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson and Prudence Downs' grandchildren
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 07:13 BST (UK) »
I see seven children rather that six.  ;)

How sure are you of date of photo? Looking at clothing of children I think it could have been taken into the early 1900s, though James doesn’t look too old, possibly 70 ish? By your estimate he would be 77 if this photo was taken in 1895. Is the photo dated?

Unless you can match any of the children with other photos in which they have been identified, I don’t know that you will ever be able to find out who they were.

Do you have names and dates of birth for all of James’s grandchildren?

I’m sure one of the dating experts will be able to give you a date estimate for the photo, then by looking at the approximate ages of the children in the photo you may be able to get a rough idea who they are.

The two girls at the front look similar in age (6 or 7?) and they look quite alike - are there any twins in any of the families?

Offline Tarella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 07:28 BST (UK) »
The girl behind is not I assume one of the children but a carer, not necessarily a mother. The only children I can find are the ones listed. It would be easy if the old man had not died in 1897.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 13:51 BST (UK) »
The girl behind is not I assume one of the children but a carer, not necessarily a mother. The only children I can find are the ones listed. It would be easy if the old man had not died in 1897.

She looks very young to me - 12 or 13 maybe? If this is a family group I would expect her to also be family. Unless you know something you have not revealed I am not sure how you know that she is not also a grandchild.

You mention that James had five daughters - yet you only mention the children of two of them. You have eliminated the children of Emmanette who all lived and died in South Africa. Could they have visited England at some stage?

What about the children of the other three daughters?

You said you don't know who Sarah Ann married or if she had children. What about the other two of James's daughters and their children?

Your suggestion that the children might be from different families is quite possible.