Author Topic: Catherine McMillan born abt 1837  (Read 555 times)

Offline johnstonville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine McMillan born abt 1837
« on: Wednesday 15 April 20 06:03 BST (UK) »
Wishing to find any info, such as parents and siblings on my distant relative.
Catherine McMillan was born into a wealthy family in Dalry, Ayrshire, Scotland in 1837.
When she was about 16yrs of age she fell in love and ran away with a Irish stable hand who worked on her parents estate.  She was apparently disowned by her family for running off as in those days it was frowned upon, especially as he was only a Irish stable hand.  In 1855 she arrived in Tasmania, Australia with John Clair where they got married and had children.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McMillan born abt 1837
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
From Tasmanian Records -
Marriage 7th April 1856 John Clair(age 22) / Catharine McMillan(age 19) , Launceston.
No further information.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
I would normally suggest the site below but I do not see a birth or census matching the description
posted, how sure are you to the place of birth?

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
When you say a wealthy family - what was occupation of father. How And when did they acquire wealth?
There are few Possible families in the 1841 census in Ayrshire, but the fathers are labourers.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
Wishing to find any info, such as parents and siblings on my distant relative.
Catherine McMillan was born into a wealthy family in Dalry, Ayrshire, Scotland in 1837.
When she was about 16yrs of age she fell in love and ran away with a Irish stable hand who worked on her parents estate.  She was apparently disowned by her family for running off as in those days it was frowned upon, especially as he was only a Irish stable hand.  In 1855 she arrived in Tasmania, Australia with John Clair where they got married and had children.

Where did you find out that she was born in Dalry, and are you sure it was Dalry in Ayrshire?

Assuming that she gave her age accurately on her marriage, she is more likely to have been born in 1836 than in 1837, because if her birthday was after 8 April 1837 she would have been only 18 on 7 April 1856. Do you have any other evidence of her age?

What were the names of their children, in order of birth?

Do Tasmanian death certificates record the names of the parents of the deceased?

I have looked at the 1851 census (two transcriptions and the index at Scotland's People) and I have not found any record of a Catherine McMillan of the right age in Dalry.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.