Author Topic: A Dec. Q. 1843 Marriage between Joseph Charles BALL and Eliza GOODYER, Ringwood  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: A Dec. Q. 1843 Marriage between Joseph Charles BALL and Eliza GOODYER, Ringwood
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 April 20 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Lizzie,
All the pieces slipping nicely into place.  Even as (apparently) the eldest son of Josiah,  perhaps Joseph Charles didn't come near the BALL milling business in Salisbury until after his father died in 1835.
Maybe his aunt Sophia took over then as the other son of Joseph had died rather prematurely in 1819.  And then when Sophia died in 1843 maybe Joseph Charles rather reluctantly came to Salisbury.  He doesn't get a mention in either the 1823 or the 1843 wills by the way...
Keith
Hope I'm not being guilty of making things up as I go along...

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Dec. Q. 1843 Marriage between Joseph Charles BALL and Eliza GOODYER, Ringwood
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 April 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
...in Joseph BALL's will of 1823, he mentions three mills  Firstly, The Town Mill,  secondly (hard to read, but I think it says) fulling and tucking at Harnham, and the third one at Quidhampton.  All very close to one another in the modern day Salisbury area.  From details about Josiah BALL from the Ancestry Public Member trees ( never a completely reliable source, I realise), he lived in the Fugglestone, Quidhampton area and may therefore have possibly run that mill.
I see also that Town Mill and Quidhanpton Mill seem to be rather nicely converted to hotels today.  Not sure about the Harnham site.  Haven't visited there for over 30 years...
Keith

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 April 20 17:47 BST (UK) »
I'm having trouble trying to fit Joseph Charles into the scheme of things, even though he has the BALL surname and seems to be connected, he very much seems on the periphery at times of the milling business

I think the problem was that he couldn't make enough money out of it, the result being imprisonment for debt in 1852, and eventual bankruptcy in 1860:

"Before the Judge of the County Court of Wiltshire, holden at Salisbury, on Wednesday
the 25th day of August 1852. Joseph Charles Ball, formerly of Downton, Wiltshire, Journeyman Miller, his wife carrying on the business of a Milliner and Haberdasher, after that of Longham, in
Dorsetshire, then of Woodford, Wiltshire, and next of Salisbury, Wiltshire, Journeyman Miller, and late of the Town Mill, Salisbury, in the county of Wilts, Miller and Meal man
."
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/21347/page/2204

"WHEREAS a Petition for adjudication of Bankruptcy was, on the 22nd day of March, 1860, filed against Joseph Charles Ball, of Salisbury, in the county of Wilts, Miller, Dealer and Chapman, and he having been declared bankrupt, is hereby required to surrender himself ......"
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/22369/page/1200
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 April 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
I really don't know how you do it, Shaun, you must have so much at your fingertips...!
That explains a great deal, I just had a feeling that all didn't quite seem right with my man JCB.  I wondered if he simply wasn't a very good business man, or whether he squandered his assets on all the wrong things.
His grandpa and aunt must have been turning in their graves, thanks so much for turning that up...
Keith