Author Topic: Helston parish also list mother's surname in c. records?  (Read 536 times)

Offline patannk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Helston parish also list mother's surname in c. records?
« on: Wednesday 15 April 20 08:01 BST (UK) »
Is it common practice in Cornwall, to list the mother's surname as part of a christening record?
I first thought it might be a way a distinguishing between two families with the same surname, but some of my Kingwell ancestors christened at Helston in the 1800s have 3 surnames listed?!

We have James Williams Kingwell c. 1821, then in 1826 we have Jas. Dunstone Williams Kingwell.
It seems the Jas. should have been Jos? as he remains Joseph all through other records.
Williams is the mothers maiden name, but where does the Dunstone part come from?
Two of Joseph's own children get the Dunstone name in the next generation.

I only saw one Dunstone child c. at Helston during the same period I was searching?
I have no idea what Thomas (b. abt 1784) Kingwell's mother's maiden name was...

Any clarification would be most welcome!  ;D

Dobbins, Pitkin, Shepherd and White, Stokenchurch.
Clack, Berkshire. Kingwell, Cornwall and London. Wood, Surrey.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Helston parish also list mother's surname in c. records?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 08:34 BST (UK) »
Looking at your examples on the transcripts on Cornwall OPC it is the full name that their parents have given them, the mothers have just been listed by their first names ie Thomas & Mary.

It is not uncommon for a mothers maiden surname being given to a child of theirs as an additional name.  I have examples in Lancashire

Have you tracked back further on the families to see if there is a Dunstone connection
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk