Author Topic: Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry
« on: Wednesday 15 April 20 13:26 BST (UK) »
This, dating from the 1870's appears elsewhere under Old Country Houses.  Not all of these are in Lanarkshire as was Glasgow itself, many are also absent,

www.glasgowwestaddress.co.uk/Old_Country_Houses/Contents.htm

Skoosh.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
Excellent thanks Skoosh. Those houses are wonderful!

I've just had a quick browse and bookmarked it so I can go through it properly later.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thats fantastic Skoosh plenty for me to pursue that are/or where local to me and my area's of interest thanks very much................
Henderson
Crawford

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
Fascinating - Possil had changed a little by the time I went to school there.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 20:36 BST (UK) »
Cheers guys, I've got as far as Bedlay Castle so far. Never found any relatives but!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting , most interesting.  I was interested in several places but have copied and pasted a passage about Ingram Street, Glasgow, (Cow Lane) which I'm practically sure describes most ancient walled towns before they were overwhelmed by industry

"In Barrie's day the latter of these lones was a mere drove road, uncausewayed, for driving out the cows of the citizens in the High Street district to be pastured about Cowcaddens, under charge of the town-herd, who blew a horn as he came slowly down from his abode in Rottenrow, in the morning, to warn the burghers to turn out their bestial, and in the evening returned with the animals by the same route, and with the same musical performance.  Moreover, the Lone was a favourite place for milking cows; and servants and children were sent there with jugs, as in a country district, for warm milk.  Boys, also, bent on a different mission, resorted to the Lone for "mauks," or bait, for fishing, the place being famous on that account. This continued till the Lone was causewayed, improved, and named Ingram Street, circa 1781.¬"

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting this.  Sadly no upstairs connections but an aunt of my late mother-in-law was a cook at Aitkenhead House and her husband worked as a coachman.  isk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 22:53 BST (UK) »
 isk, think there were more folk in service back in the day, than miners?

Rena,  just got to Belvedere House where a Crum gets a mention! Cathkin house also has Crum connections! 

mauks=maggots.

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 April 20 14:44 BST (UK) »

Rena,  just got to Belvedere House where a Crum gets a mention!    mauks=maggots.

Skoosh.

Thanks Skoosh - as usual it's the "rich branch".  I did once try to trace the ancestry of the John Crum who started one of the rich branches (= Thornliebank). I might have been able to if he and Elizabeth his wife had had two daughters, but unfortunately they didn't.  All I have is a family story given to one of my cousins by his mother who was clearing out his late father's belongings.  She handed him an old magazine depicting Thornliebank and told him that he was from "Crumland".  I once saw an online photo of a man who was the spitting image of my grandfather, the chap had the surname of  "Crum Ewing Crum Ewing Crum " (haha)  and history shows that a couple of hundred years ago in Dunbartonshire a Robert Crum married a daughter of a farmer with surname Ewing.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke