Author Topic: Leatheringham Parish records St Marys' - CRACKNELL  (Read 453 times)

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leatheringham Parish records St Marys' - CRACKNELL
« on: Wednesday 15 April 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello! I would be very grateful for some help on the Cracknell part of my tree.

John Cracknell married Susan Cook 25 March 1823 in Letheringham.

I have found John on the 1841 and 1851 census with his family. 1851 lists him as born in Hoo c1801, however I cannot find a baptism for John, so his parents are a matter of hypothesis.

I do however have a DNA link (10cm 1 seg) to a Thomas Cracknell bap1787 Fressingfield to Robert Cracknell/Elizabeth Balls. Robert Cracknell was bap 1768 Badingham. I also have DNA links to two of Robert's siblings, George c1779 Framlingham and John c1782. There seem to be so many Cracknells and it is proving difficult to untangle.

I was hoping the marriage entry may list family witnesses, or if John was from another parish. I have also looked at John's children for clues, he only named his two sons George and John. Equally I have also wondered whether John was illegitimate or not called John ??? Clutching at straws!!

Any help/advice would be gratefully received, thank you! :)
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Online ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leatheringham Parish records St Marys' - CRACKNELL
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a John Cracknell bapt. 25-4-1801 in Hoo  St.Andrew & Eustachius the s/o Richard & Sarah  (late Fairweather) .

If this the correct person then there is a marriage;
17-6-1794 Robert Cracknell, of Hoo to Sarah Fairweather in Parham St.Mary.

Taken from the Suffolk FHS baptisms/marriages CD

NB. There are two other baptisms with the father's name of Robert so I suspect the Richard has been wrongly transcribed.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Alan that's fantastic!!! Without wishing to push my luck, would you be able to tell me the name of the other siblings please?!
Where would I be able to get a copy of that CD, it sounds like it could help no end!!!
 :D
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Online ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a  Sarah Fairweather bapt. 16-8-1767 (d/o Robert & Ann in Parham St.Mary)

Unfortunately no sign of Robert Cracknell's bapt..

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Online ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There are these baptisms;
22-3-1795 Ann Cracknell  d/o Robert & Sarah (late Fairweather) Hoo St.Andrew
21-7-1805 Mary    "            "      "            "            "            "             Kettleburgh St.Andrew

The name of the CD is;
Suffolk Baptism Index SFK-BPI-13/P2  1754 -1812 ( Loes & Orford Deaneries) avaiable from the Suffolk FHS. Their   address is;
http://www.suffolkfhs.co.uk

They offer a number of CDs for bapts. marriages & Burials (1 x CD covering Suffolk) according to Deaneries.

Disclaimer; not associated with the SFHS just a customer.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Alan, I really appreciate that help, I now have even more questions as I have another Robert Cracknell who married Elizabeth Balls (he was my hypothesis father of John), but she was still on baptismal records in 1803, so I'm wondering if there are two Roberts!!! :-\

Last question, promise! Does the marriage for Robert/Sarah Fairweather show if Robert was a widow, or is that information not on the CD?

Online ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 20 01:27 BST (UK) »

OK - your last question 1st. There is no indication that Robert was a widower in the transcripts.

I have, however,  noticed there is another baptism namely;
23-10-1796 Sarah Crackling d/o Robert & Sarah (late Fairweather) in Hoo St.Andrew.

There are several other baptisms which I include purely to show variations in surname and families  - not neccessarily  connected to your search;
4-3-1787 Anna Maria Crackling d/o Robert & Elizabeth (late Ladd) Framlingham St.Michael.
17-6-1802 George Crackling s/o Robert & Margaret (late Spall) Framlingham St.Michael
6-1-1782 John Cracknal s/o Robert & Elizabeth. Framlingham St.Michael

13-12-1785 Robert Cracknell, of Fressingfield, - m - Elizabeth Balls in Ringsfield All Saints. presumably you already have this record.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 April 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
Again, thank you!
Yes some of the others you mention, Robert / Elizabeth Ladd have been linked as possible parents of Robert, but whether that's Robert/Sarah Fairweather, or Robert/Elizabeth Balls ???, and is Robert/Margaret a 2nd marriage or another Robert?!!! Certainly a challenge!!

I shall look at the website/CDs today!