Author Topic: North Carolina Lookup Please.  (Read 541 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
North Carolina Lookup Please.
« on: Thursday 16 April 20 21:39 BST (UK) »

Much to my amazement, DNA testing has shown that I have ancestors who emigrated to North Carolina a long way back...

I'm looking for the Father of John Sterling Nelson, Born 1795 North Carolina, Married Nancy Butler, Died Fannin, Georgia.

John Sterling Nelson's Father was possibly Emanuel or William Nelson?

Hoping that someone on here will be able to help.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: North Carolina Lookup Please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 April 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
There is an anc tree with the parents listed as Emmanuel Nelson - 1776  Snow Creek, Stokes, North Carolina. Died 21 May 1866 - Lawrence, Kentucky. (with a photograph of him)

mother Frances Farmer -  1770  Amhurst, Virginia. died 1848  Lawrence, Kentucky.

14 children listed - poor woman  :)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 20 22:28 BST (UK) »

Many Thanks Sandra, - much appreciated.

Gosh, - 14 children!! :-)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
https://www.geni.com/people/Reverend-I-Nelson/6000000010589094885

same photograph.

Sandra
same photo, but a different wife :)

in the ancestry tree, Francis [sic] Farmer is said to be the daughter of William Smith.

more helpful, possibly, the surnames of the ancestors of John Sterling Nelson according to the ancestry tree are
Nelson, Smith, Farmer, Street

Do any of those show up in your tree?

----
According to some, James Sterling's children were:
Marshall Leandro Nelson,
Wm Butler Nelson,
Enoch R. Nelson,
Archibald Nelson,
Malivna Nelson (m. Booker),
Minerva Nelson,
Nancy Nelson 
Elbert Nelson who was a Bapt. preacher in TN.

Note: no Emanuel. and William Butler Nelson sounds like he was named after Nancy's family, maybe her father.

----
Does anyone know where in NC James S. Nelson was born? If so, where were the people in that area from in England? That would be one path for research.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 20 22:41 BST (UK) »

Does anyone know where in NC James S. Nelson was born? If so, where were the people in that area from in England? That would be one path for research.
And that might depend on how far into the hills he was born. Then again, some say he married Nancy in Newberry, SC, which is near the coast. Wrong. was going by memory. It's pretty far inland.

----
Come to think of it, could you be a match on Nancy's side? The match is probably a descendant of John and Nancy, correct? So unless it is Y-dna, it could be either side. Her side might be easier, you never know.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 20 22:51 BST (UK) »

Thanks for your input oldohiohome.

I think that Nancy Butler is my most likely link into this family... I have Butler Matches on many Sites, most of them originating from Ireland.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 April 20 22:58 BST (UK) »
Good.  there exists hope.

Butler ancestors, according to that tree, I haven't checked it against anything else:

Nancy Butler b 1795 Greenville, Spartanburg Co, SC
father: William Wilias Butler, b 1758, Prince William County, VA, unknown parents
mother: Agnes Gray, b 1768 Newberry SC, unknown parents

---
If that is true, that might help trace back John Sterling Nelson. He might have come from Prince William Co.

and if all that is true, there might actually be some records of Nancy's father or family.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 April 20 23:02 BST (UK) »

Many Thanks again, oldohiohome.

It has long been a mystery to me why I have so many DNA Matches in North Carolina, Tennessee and Missisippi, - (apologies for any misspellings).

Perhaps it's all down to the Butlers!

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching: