Author Topic: Marshall Family  (Read 2932 times)

Offline kiwikate

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marshall Family
« on: Thursday 16 April 20 23:39 BST (UK) »
I believe I may have found my ggggrandparents John Marshall and Mary Ann Withers,They married in 1814 Hungerford Berkshire they had 6 children  in 1826 Mary Ann died.My question what would have happened to her children John didnt marry again till 1832 The children would have been 10, 9, 6, 4, 2 and 7months I guess he could have had a housekeeper Thanks Kate
Smail  Ramsay Todd Binnie King Pryde Sharp
Branscombe Hutchinson Fellows

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 20 00:07 BST (UK) »

"..I believe I may have found my ggggrandparents "

You are uncertain....and names John and Mary MARSHALL are very ordinary.

Who is your gggrandparent.....son / daughter of John and Mary MARSHALL, and what do you know about that person.......marriage, children, death.

Offline kiwikate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 20 00:32 BST (UK) »
Louisa Marshall born c 1824 Avington parents John Marshall farmer and Mary Ann married Frederick Bower Marylebone 1853  immigrated to Australia 1855, she died there 1878 death cert says parents John Marshall and Mary Ann Brown or Benson I am aware death notices aren't always reliable Kate

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 20 03:57 BST (UK) »

This from your earlier post, June 2019, and regarding birthplace for Louisa  -

"..What makes you think that Louisa Marshall was born in Avington, do you have her on census prior to her marriage".

"I found the birth through searching and then the help of another relative"

Can you expand on this please. How have you identified your Louisa MARSHALL to be born in Avington, Berkshire?

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 April 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
I believe I may have found my ggggrandparents John Marshall and Mary Ann Withers,They married in 1814 Hungerford Berkshire they had 6 children  in 1826 Mary Ann died.My question what would have happened to her children John didnt marry again till 1832 The children would have been 10, 9, 6, 4, 2 and 7months I guess he could have had a housekeeper Thanks Kate

It's an interesting question and I see no reason to interrogate you as if in a courtroom. ::)
I would look at what extended family there might have been.

I have an ancestor who was widowed with a similar young family, and who married again nine years later.  The eldest child was a girl, and a little older at 14, so some of the childminding duties probably fell on her.  The father did have a number of sisters as well as living parents, so maybe they helped out.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline kiwikate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply.That makes sense the wider family possibly helped out Kate :)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 20 21:09 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Marriage of Louisa MARSHALL to Frederick BOWER 11 March 1853 at Christchurch in the Parish of Marylebone, Westminster

- father: John MARSHALL, farmer

There is also a marriage at the Parish Church of St Marylebone, Middlesex - just before  Louisa and with the same father.

22 June 1852, Edward MARSHALL of full age, Bachelor, Farmer, residence: St Marylebone, father: John MARSHALL, Farmer
to
Mary Ann COOK - full age, Spinster, residence, as above - father: Wm COOK, Farmer

Witnesses: William COOK and James WILLIAMS

----

Quick look at the GRO INDEX, can see two children, MARSHALL - mother's maiden name: COOK, Marylebone - Herbert in 1854 and Charlotte in 1856.

--
? 1901 census, Bloomsbury, St George

Herbert MARSHALL - m - aged 47, Caretaker of flats - born London, Marylebone
Kathrine - wife - age 40 - born Somersert Drayton

?

1851 Census, St Marylebone

Ann MARSHALL - 66 - born England
Ellen CLIFFORD - 20 Servant
Louisa MARSHALL - 24 - Sister
Ann MARSHALL - 26 - daughter.

---
Not sure if this is the same Edward

Looking at Family Search, Edward & Mary Ann MARSHALL - had 3 children christened on the same day : 17 October 1871 at St. Pancras, Old Church, London

Emma Eliza Ann - birth: 3 January 1859
Alfred - birth 31 August 1860
Mary Ann - birth 1 September 1862

Edward is a Widower with his children .... born St Pancras

Offline kiwikate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 April 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you it has taken years to find Mary Ann Bowers (Louisas,daughter)now it seems like Louisas parents are tricky.Kate

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 April 20 01:50 BST (UK) »
The marriage was at Christ Church, Marylebone, and I'd be looking at this family who were living in Lower Lisson Street in the 1851 census - no more than 200m from the church.

John Marshall, head, m, 61, Yorkshire
Jane, wife, 62, Gloster (sic)
Mary Ann, daughter, unm, 24, ditto ie Gloster
Louisa, daughter, unm, 22, dressmaker, Middx.

John's occupation is shown as "do" and the entry above (from a different household) is "servt." 
No occupation is given for Jane, and Mary Ann gets a "do".  Only Louisa's occupation is fully entered, so it's debatable how reliable the occupation entries are, bearing in mind this is a transcript from the original household form.  John might have been a farmer before they came to London.

I've managed to find an 1850 London map which shows the addresses on the marriage entry, New Church St and Earl St - both in the same district not far from Lisson St.
http://london1850.com/cross01.htm
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.