Author Topic: Prison Record CastleJohn  (Read 373 times)

Offline Cinders59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Prison Record CastleJohn
« on: Friday 17 April 20 17:20 BST (UK) »
This is a bit of a odd query.
I have been looking on ancestry and typed in Matthew Murphy/O'Neill he was born Murphy as it was 1 year after my ggrandfather died but father was Edmond O'Neill.
Anyway, I found a record of a Matthew O'Neill b 1900. his birth only 2 years out, but that is nothing new, in a prison register for a hold up while armed, This was in 1924 the fathers name was Edmond O'Neill both living in Castle John where my family are from.
What are the chances of this being the same as in my family. Matthew would be a half brother to my grandfather, What are the chances that there could have been another family with those names living in the same place,
I have also found a Marraige record for him In Callan to a Margaret Burke in 1939 and at the time Matthew and his father were living in 9 Mile House Castlejohn

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Record CastleJohn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 20 18:59 BST (UK) »
If I'm reading correctly you are asking if there is a chance to families with the same surname, same father's name and with two sons about the same age with the same name could be living in the same place.
I'd say yes it's possible given the small pool of names used in a family but in this case there appears to be only one Neill family living in Castlejohn in 1911.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tipperary/Newtown/Castlejohn/
so chances are it's your Matthew in the prison record.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
The Nationalist (Tipperary) Jan 26 1924
Matthew and Richard Brown were charged (Brown being armed with a rifle) than on the 29 July 1923 at Castlejohn they took parts of the uniform of Volunteer J Lyons and D Brennan and the sum of 5s 8d and held up two Volunteers on the road.
Remanded in custody to next court at Carrick

same paper Feb 20th
-Mr Qurike applied for bale for Matthew Neill. He direction the attention of the court to the fact that O'Neill lived at Castlejohn about 400yards from where the soldiers were held up. He never left his father's house since the incidence occurred and was arrested there. When he was arrested he owed up to the  occurrence which he regarded as merely a wild freak. He merely met Brown on the road and they unexpectedly met two soldiers coming along and said "We will hold these up" There was nothing premeditated about the affair at all. He directed his worships attention to what Neill said to Brown about handing the money back to Vol Lyons.
Got bail at £200 with two sureties of £100 each

same paper April 19th
His Honor addressed them, said he had the depositions very carefully and was greatly impressed by what Mr McCarthy and Mr Skinner had said on their behalf. It had been stated that they would give an undertaking to be law abiding citizens etc
They got 12 months but didn't serve it if they kept their word to be law abiding citizens.

Offline Cinders59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 April 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you for this.

Thank goodness nobody was hurt, although there was a rifle.

I would not have known where to look for this information, I am very grateful

Julie