Author Topic: When to go to hospital  (Read 3872 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When to go to hospital
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 April 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, Dad now has a home sats monitor which helps to keep an eye on things.

I agree that not testing is daft. I had suspected Covid myself a month ago (not diagnosed, but classic symptoms) followed by viral pleurisy which was diagnosed.  As a sole carer for three vulnerable elderly people - father, mother and stepfather - it would have been really helpful to know for sure whether I had it.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 April 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
There seem to be some blood oxygen level monitors available for use at home, just clip them onto your finger.
Are these any use/reliable?

My monitor only does B.P. It overreads very slightly when my G.P. compared it with his.

Added
"Pneumonia can lower the oxygen in your blood because the air spaces in your lungs fill with mucus."

Do long term smokers get different oxygen blood saturation levels? Because some will have COPD.

Mark

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 April 20 18:30 BST (UK) »
Avm, can I ask if the home blood oxygen monitor which you mention is the same as the ones which can be bought on Amazon? Or is it a special kind provided by the hospital or doctor?
Am just thinking that that an oxygem measurement taken at home would be a useful tool in determining if someone needs hospitalisation: a high temperature and low blood oxygen couldn't be argued with by 111.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 April 20 12:13 BST (UK) »
Had to take my mum to hospital last week for something completely unrelated - a bleed which needed professional attention.

We lost our A&E a few years ago, and it was eventually replaced by an "urgent care centre", and this was our first experience of it. We needn't have worried. All seemed to be well organised.

It had an entrance entirely separate from anything Covid-19 related. Triage took place at the entrance by a senior nurse in full gear. I was told to wait in the car (they have suspended car park charges).

The wait time was short, and all was dealt with speedily. A very positive experience.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 April 20 12:42 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell us how we should go about getting hospital (ie life-saving) treatment for corvid. Surely we can ring 999 or go to a hospital?

I think even if you do that, you could still be refused admittance if you don't reach their criteria. There was a man on the news the other day who was told by his GP to go to the hospital, but when he got there they told him to go home. It was only after a couple more days and the direct action of the doctor that he was admitted and went straight to ICU. Luckily he recovered.

It does sound very much as if there is no treatment apart from the oxygen and that is why there is no point going to hospital until you need to be given that.

My daughters partner has his mother in a Care Home in Gloucestershire . They phoned yesterday to say they have four confirmed cases among the residents. None of whom are going to hospital.  They have been on lockdown since the very beginning so it would seem a staff member has introduced the infection into the home. They now have to wait to see if one of the carers goes down with it.
It really is time someone got their act together to test all NHS and care workers. Locked up in a care home the elderly are sitting ducks,  !
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 April 20 12:43 BST (UK) »
Really reassuring to hear good NHS stories.
I think everyone should have a Plan of what to do, where to go, who to contact in case of need.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 April 20 12:48 BST (UK) »
Bykerlads, I think my father’s pulse oximeter was supplied by his medical team, but have no reason to think you can’t get something just as useful online.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 April 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
Really reassuring to hear good NHS stories.
I think everyone should have a Plan of what to do, where to go, who to contact in case of need.

I'm rather sceptical and I don't think whatever your plan that it will necessarily be carried out. We will have to rely on medical staff to make the decision as to whether you are ill enough to be admitted to hospital. That may also depend where you live and how full the hospitals are.

The best plan is to try and avoid getting it in the first place by not going out unless really necessary.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 April 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
Bykerlad,
I am in South Australia. The testing here is tops.
Ring the doc for a referral, go to special clinic for testing, be assessed and isolated if need be or sent to hospital. Testing results can come back in 45 minutes for bad symptoms (costs more but very effective). We have just had 2 days of increased numbers being tested.
I am very lucky, on a farm and self isolating. No one in our town is positive and we are in lockdown except for essential workers.
I am devastated for you all.
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany
Levick - Nottinghamshire, UK