Author Topic: New Ancestry layout for matches  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Ancestry layout for matches
« on: Friday 17 April 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Either I'm first or last to get this...

If I click on a match that ThruLines has a connection for, the first thing I see is the horizontal lineage for both of us - similar to the format I used to see if I clicked on the 'common ancestors' panel to the left of their tree (or space where a tree might be).

Beneath this is a panel on the left which has shared surnames at the top, and names just in the match's tree beneath. These used to be beneath the tree. The tree now is to the right of these.

Then there's the map of locations below, as before.

If ThruLines doesn't have a connection for the match, the format is the same as above ^^ just without the lineage at the top.

Something else to get used to!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry layout for matches
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 April 20 15:54 BST (UK) »
I have just been reading about it on facebook. Apparently has just come out in beta mode, so it is going to be a good while before everyone can see it.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 April 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
I've just noticed that I have green outlines around our common ancestors on a match's tree that I've not noticed before. These markings correspond to the details given in the list of common ancestors in the left box.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
They seem to be doing different things for different users. At least it keeps them busy.

I quite like the new format with common ancestor being the first thing you see (if ThruLines has found one for a match). It also gives you tabs to click on different options for the connection - should be two options normally, one each for the male and female at the top of the connection. But one particular match has 20 option tabs  :o ???

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
They seem to be doing different things for different users. At least it keeps them busy.

Instead of faffing around with these new toys that nobody asked for I wish they would introduce a chromosome browser which some have asked for including myself to no avail. Arghh!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes and I do have all those green things and if I remember correctly have done for some time
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
I've not noticed them before - maybe because I knew the connection and had colour coded my common ancestor matches before they introduced them. 

Ancestry is ever so ploddy.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 13:37 BST (UK) »
Davidft, I do not have all of the “new toys” yet, but I am pleased with the ones I do have. Still waiting for the one that gives multiple suggestions on the path to common ancestors and for the new messaging. I got the one for linking matches to the tree a few days ago. The ability to easily link a match to a person in a tree saves a lot of time in copying info for cross-referencing. I have already seen it start to make some suggestions about links. I think it may turn out to be particularly useful for the floating branches I am working on to knock down brick walls.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 14:41 BST (UK) »

What I have noticed recently, is that it seems to be harder to get rid of unwanted people in ThruLines. I don't seem to be getting the 'Does this person Match'  option anymore; which is frustrating, because I can't get rid of them!

I'm hoping that this is just a temporary glitch...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 16:34 BST (UK) »
Davidft, I do not have all of the “new toys” yet, but I am pleased with the ones I do have. Still waiting for the one that gives multiple suggestions on the path to common ancestors and for the new messaging. I got the one for linking matches to the tree a few days ago. The ability to easily link a match to a person in a tree saves a lot of time in copying info for cross-referencing. I have already seen it start to make some suggestions about links. I think it may turn out to be particularly useful for the floating branches I am working on to knock down brick walls.

I think I spoke to soon and at crossed purposes. Think I should stop posting for a while and then hopefully I won't get so easily confused.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.