Author Topic: Diary > Friday 17th April  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 17th April
« on: Friday 17 April 20 23:03 BST (UK) »
I'm starting this thread today hoping that any posts following mine are better.

I've had a very bad day. Started much the same as usual but this afternoon I felt quite unsettled. I spoke to a close friend on the phone who told me that her daughter who is a hospital nurse has tested positive with the virus. She has underlying health issues but has youth on her side. That doesn't stop me being worried about her.

I then had a call from another close friend, her husband died last night, he didn't have the virus, it was other health issues. We had a long conversation but I just want to go to her and hug her tight and I can't do that. I ordered a card for her online, it didn't give me room to say all the things I wanted but I know she'll understand, she's that kind of person. I feel so frustrated and yes, angry at the world that I can't see her, can't go to the funeral, can't be there for her in person until heaven knows when.

Sorry this is all bad news, it helps to write it down.

I very much hope your day was better.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 17th April
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 20 23:16 BST (UK) »
Oh Roobarb I'm so very sorry to hear of your double bad news and my heart goes out to you and your friends. I can't imagine how I'd feel knowing that I can't comfort a dear friend in their time if need... how about sending her some lovely flowers through the post. I use Bloom & Wild and they are very goid and reliable and I'm sure your friend would appreciate them and know you're thinking about her.

Keep your chin up, it's hard these days I know... my daughter had a wobble the other day and I'm hoping to speak to her tomorrow,

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 20 23:24 BST (UK) »
Roobarb,

I feel for you too, and it is better to write it down and share worries.

We will all have bad days....

copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 20 23:32 BST (UK) »
My day wasn't too bad today, not as warm as yesterday but still sunny.
Washing on and out to dry...facing the ironing tomorrow.

I would have been going to Ally Pally today with a friend to Family Tree Live. I had an email the other day from them to say they were providing some if the talks virtually so I listened to one of them for an hour.. it's the first time I've felt like looking at an FH during this period.... but with another three weeks lockdown to come I think I'll make a start at getting all my notes sorted and details put onto my family tree...

After lunch we decided to go for a walk across the fields.. it was quite breezy but not cold and it was good to get out into the fresh air and not be doing any jobs! The traffic n the main road was dreadful never seen so many cars almost as it was before all this started... where are they all coming/going for heavens sake! I say main road but it's a B road! Was originally an A road and with all the works on A14 think people used it and now realise its asset... darn them!

We had a cuppa when we got back and a game of scrabble... hanging on by my finger tips as score now 3-2 to me!

Listened to the daily briefing but no all journalists questions as I'm getting a bit fed up with them and sometimes feel I'd like to throw a brick at them.

Dinner was sausage, mash, cabbage and onion gravy then watched tv...

Another exciting day!

Hopefully have a Zoom with the family tomorrow and see the grandsons so something to look forward to...

Stay safe, sane and healthy

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 20 23:40 BST (UK) »
Firstly let me start by thanking Roobarb for her kind words of yesterday. Much appreciated. I can see Roobarb that you've been struggling today.  The death toll is heartbreaking and not to be able to reach out and comfort our nearest and dearest just goes against one's very nature. The fact you've had the time to have a good chat with your friend I'm sure has given her a real boost.

I can't say I've had an amazing day, only that I plod on.  I didn't sleep very well so was up and into the park earlier than normal.  I ran into (metaphorically speaking) my neighbour and we have a bit of a catch up (at the required distance!).  She was jogging round the park and says she normally does 4 rounds (!) which I must admit puts me to shame. Still it was nice to speak to someone from outside the family.  The park was mainly taken up with people pushing prams and 'over 70's' with and without dogs ....Blossom littered the pathways today. I guess the warmer weather and bit of a breeze has allowed the trees to start shedding their load.

Not alot else.  I had to decide whether or not to pay the balance on a holiday at the end of June. I mean who knows anymore, certainly the government aren't unhelpful. Anyway, I bit the bullet and paid.  After which I thought I'd read a bit of an online newspaper - first story I read says 'don't bother booking a holiday this summer'!

I returned to my Irish research somewhat and watched an Irish expert do a Facebook Q&A.  Sat in the sun and had a late lunch.  Our lovely robins & blue tits have been joined by Mr & Mrs Nuthatch so good to see them back!

I caught up on some emails and was about to listen to the 5:00 update - after a few words I thought 'no thanks'.  Until you can give me some proper news I'm not interested.

We got an Indian take away tonight!  Not our usual place as they are not open, but a local restaurant trying it out as a take away.  A bit disappointing as when we got the meal home we discovered that one of our dishes was missing.  I tried to phone to complain and maybe see if I could call back and pick up the missing korma but the line was constantly engaged so I gave up.

General observations today - it was much nosier with traffic, deliveries and people generally around. The Indian was very busy! I feel people are just quietly and 'within' the guidelines breaking cover now.

I really need to do a shop and will try and spin that out until Monday.  However, there is a market near me tomorrow and I'll need to try and get some basics like bread.  I think shopping is one of the things I find so stressful about this whole lockdown.

Watched our usual Friday night Andrew Lloyd Webber production; tonight being Phantom of the Opera!  Great fun.

Over and out
Stay safe!
CD

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your kind words, they are a comfort to me. I'd spoken to another friend during the evening after which I felt more settled, but after I'd written my post I wished I hadn't done so as I got upset again after I'd posted it. However, a good sleep has helped tremendously and so have your words. Caroline, I didn't know that flower deliveries were still being made, that's a good idea, thank you.

CD, you've done the right thing in paying the balance for your holiday. Martin Lewis (the Money Saving Expert) was answering questions one day on This Morning, a caller had the same dilemma. Martin told them to pay the balance as that's your protection - if the company cancels your holiday you are then entitled to a full refund.

Good to hear everyone's news.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 20 15:53 BST (UK) »
I have had 3 deaths in 12 days, none of which I can attend, I have decided  that when I know the dates of the funerals I will try to just sit with a cuppa, or something stronger, and either talk about the memory's or just think, no one can take away the memories we have of our loved ones, it is hard but we have to do it, things will get better for all of us

My heart goes out to all who are bereaved right now

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 April 20 20:48 BST (UK) »
That must be dreadfully difficult for you Louisa Maud. My friend said that the funeral director will be sending her a link that she can pass on that will enable to watch the funeral service on a video link. I've given it a lot of thought, I'm not sure whether I want to do that, your plan might be a better idea.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 April 20 21:01 BST (UK) »
It is difficult times for so many people, I think if we come out of this unscathed we should all be eternally thankful

I hope I will see my life in a different light afterwards in all sorts of ways

Hair cut is the first on my list,  just missed my usual trim as this all kicked in, soon I will be able to plait it

Just a few moments of reflection might help you Roobarb, you will always hold them in your heart

Take care

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London