Author Topic: 6th dragoon  (Read 2190 times)

Offline KChase

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 6th dragoon
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
G'day - Thank you both so very much!  Fancy having two wives.... even if you didn't really fancy the first one anymore.  It's interesting that the courtroom is packed with soldiers - it makes me think that despite the misdemeanor, he was well liked in the regiment.    Either that or they were just there to be nosey... either way I am glad he made the papers - it gives an insight to his life.

Thank you very much for looking it up for me.   The dangerous thing with family research is the more you know the more you want to know!  Just by way of winding his story up - he had a son by his third wife who emigrated to South Africa  before the Boer War in which he faught for the British, married a Boer Widow,  faught in WW2 for the Government of the day in the Natal Mounteds and Utrecht Commando and lived the rest of his life there - my great grandad. So the love of horses carried through. 

Once again - thank you all very much.  Have a great week and take care!

Offline KChase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Girl Guide

Just reading back through the notes - are you able to copy me the records on Find My Past of James Blake Linder Military records?   I don't have a subscription that will allow me to look at it and would be very grateful.

With many thanks
Kelly

Offline KChase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:43 BST (UK) »
And I again, was reading through these pages - have not been able to come back to this for a few days - too much going on with the farm.   But - here I am.....

So Elizabeth Ives - She does have a daughter Maria and they did have banns read for three weeks in church prior to the marriage but the priest that married them says in court at the bigamy case, that JBL married her and the next day left - I think to join his regiment and that he had never been back which  I am thinking.... was the child his in the first place?   And then her second child, Charles, who she names in church documents as being the child of JBL, a soldier.   Charles is born I think about 4 years after the marriage and if James had never been back.....  I suspect he is not the father.

Its all so intriguing.   With wife no. 3 - she called herself his wife in census docs and takes his surname etc etc, they had three children - two girls and a boy.    The first girl is born in Ireland in Cahir where Caroline has followed him as he is stationed there permanently. 

The third child, Tweed, is born only two years before James dies.   In the 1871 census James is working at The Kennels for the Heythrop Hunt and Caroline is in a cottage up the road when the census is taken. 

They're both buried in Chipping Norton.    James at St Mary's and Caroline at the 'new' cemetery.   Neither have gravestones.

Wish I could have known them - I bet they had a story or two to tell!

Offline BronnieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 March 21 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

Elizabeth Ives is my 4x gt grandmother and Charles James Linder is my 3x gt grandfather.

Nice to meet you  :)

The question I have from the newspaper article was "who was the married man Elizabeth was being seen with mentioned by the clergyman"? Was he Charles' father? Unless James made a quick dash back to Suffolk I'm thinking it may not have been him.

One other question we have is "Is Maria even James's daughter"? Is this why James left so quickly? We're a cynical bunch :)

To take this further, DNA has not matched us with any "Linder" people but, interestingly enough, one of the cousins has quite a few matches with people whom have the surname "Low".

In the 1861 census, Elizabeth is living with children Maria and Charles and a third person, James Low...   

I'm curious as to if you have DNA as it would be interesting to compare.

Regards
Bronnie