Author Topic: Thomas Walter Thorne  (Read 946 times)

Offline floggle toggle 2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Walter Thorne
« on: Sunday 19 April 20 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thomas Walter Thorne was born in Newfoundland 1844, arrived in Geelong on the Prince of Wales via Sydney in 1847 with his father Charles Nuttall Thorne (born Bristol England 1819).
Thomas Walter married Agnes McKellar on 18 August 1872 at St Paul's church, London, England. He died on 2 June 1924 aged 79 at Kurryala in Mosman New South Wales.

I am looking for any shipping records from Newfoundland to Australia, from Australia to London and return.

He was "well traveled", but these movements come from Australian newspapers. \However, to travel from Australia to London to get married? - from his obituary, he seems to only have been a bank official.

Floggle Toggle
Locock - Sussex, Mankelow - Kent, Wheatley Sussex, Wilmington - Somerset, Harbridge

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Walter Thorne
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 April 20 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am on my e reader, so I cannot do live links, BUT.... I have read several of the Obits on Trove .... all readily available, no charge.   I see he was a Banker, so a decision maker for the bank.  I see his father was a Merchant, so your chap was a son of someone who understood investment.  I can see your chap had a significant education in exclusive schools and that he became, as a Banker, someone who made investment decisions. 

Re actual archived passenger lists ....
outward from NSW ... very unusual to find any extant until about 1898 ...
Outward from Vic ... search RChat Victoria resources  :) see PROV links ... :)
Inward to the UK ... not until about 1890

You may find newspaper lists and also social news items for your chap perhaps as Mr T.W. Thorne, or as the son of Mr CN Thorne etc at Trove ... But there is nothing unusual in Colonial people in that era sailing off to ' Home' counties to marry and then return to the colonies ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 20 01:19 BST (UK) »
here's the marriage announcement :
Sydney Morning Herald 25 Dec 1872 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13317411 8th August, at St Pauls, London. 
Evening News 26 Dec 1872 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/114740190

Obits:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/128251950  Daily Witness 4 June 1924 - well known Banker.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/45862521 Barrier Miner 4 June 1924 - well known Banker's death telegraphed to Broken Hill, far western NSW
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/166049842 Geelong Advertiser 12 June 1924 - school days at Geelong C of E Grammar  (decades later, in 1966, Prince Charles attended same school, but at Timbertop campus)...

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 20 05:41 BST (UK) »
The marriage record for Thomas and Agnes shows:

August 8, 1872 at St Paul's church, parish of St Pancras, by licence
Thomas Walter THORNE, bachelor, 27, Bank Manager, of 6 Cantelowes Rd, Camden Sq
father: Chareles Nuttall THORNE, merchant.
Agnes MCKELLAR, spinster, 24, of 25 Camden Rd, Holloway
father: William Gilbert MCKELLAR, accountant
Witnesses: Edward Bonsey?, Marion? McKellar

I am somewhat intrigued by the Australian newspaper announcements saying he was 'of Bombala'. I note, though that one of the obits says he was in the southern part of the state.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 20 06:02 BST (UK) »
Further to my previous post:
Thomas and Agnes had children in Bombala  between 1874 and 1881, and four later children registered in Gunning.  So it would seem that they returned to Bombala after the London wedding.

Just my observation but it doesn't seem as though Walter was manager of very large banks, at least while his children were small.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 20 06:22 BST (UK) »
Agree,  but any bank in Gunning pre Federation would be handling some decent sized wool cheques  ;D  for those Graziers and their families sending their children off for exclusive education opportunities ... So a chat with the Bank Manager could often then extend to a return invitation to a social outing ...  One day I may upload one of my collection of family letters describing how the landed gentry kept up appearances in Carcoar NSW in the 1870s .... good Methodists, so plenty of tea parties,  men folk one end of the verandah,  ladies in hat and gloves and parasol ... and as a child I would say But Gran, did they wear clothes or just hat and gloves ...

Anyway,  the Bank Manager was usually very well heeled, a JP, Church goer, Saturday cricketer or at least score keeper, and his wife was expected to be either 'with child' or an official visitor to the unfortunates ... I will hunt the letters out someday ...

ADD
So the rural Bank Manager often had time to conduct his own personal business during opening hours  :-X

JM

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 April 20 06:40 BST (UK) »
You're right JM - big fish in little pond.  And I note by the time of his death he was living in Mosman.

There's a nice obituary here from a person who knew him in Bombala, mentioning his trip to UK to be married.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/128636446

Judith

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 April 20 06:53 BST (UK) »
Well found  :)  :)  :)

JM