Author Topic: RAF casualty records  (Read 504 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF casualty records
« on: Monday 20 April 20 06:43 BST (UK) »
On 15 February 1941 Beaufort L9794 of 217 Sqdn was lost whilst on a mission over Brest. TNA holds a related document.

I realise that TNA is currently temporarily closed for normal business but if I applied for this record, what sort of information is it likely to contain?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: RAF casualty records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
My guess is that you would find little more than is shown on the aircrewremembered website.  See the page http://www.aircrewremembered.com/gair-ronald-william.html

If you scroll down the page you will see the crew of L9794 (mistranscribed lower down as L9784)

For an aeroplane "missing in action" over enemy-occupied territory there may be information about survivors or a crash site and burials.  If there is no such information the probability is that the areoplane was lost over the sea, but exactly how, when, or where is not known.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
Up until mid 1942 217 Sqdn was used on anti-shipping and mine laying operations so there is a very good chance it was shot down over the channel.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, both, for your thoughts and, Philip, for that very in.formative link.
I had hoped there might have been record of a post-op debrief in which some of the surviving returning crews had given their eye- witness accounts of what had happened. Sadly, no one returned.
Thanks to Philip's help I now know the object of the operation and, in general terms, what happened.
I have taken the opportunity to provide some personal information about my relative about which nothing appeared to be known.
Altogether a very satisfactory outcome. My grateful thanks.