Author Topic: Monaghan  (Read 2182 times)

Offline jordanamelia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monaghan
« on: Monday 20 April 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am struggling a bit with a branch of my family tree. I have little to no information about this side of my family as my Mum never knew her biological Dad - Allen John Edward Lowe. My Grandma remembers some bits but not much, she told me he was Scottish and that the whole family were born there and then came down to Barton/Urmston, Lancashire. So far I've learnt that Allen J E Lowe was actually born in Feb 1946 Barton, Lancashire and is also where his parents were married Edward Lowe and Sadie Monaghan in 1945. Edward Lowe also has also turned out to be from Lancashire (but there is a Catherine Elder, I believe to be Scottish who was his Mother) so I believe the connection to Scotland to be more with Sadie. Their marriage certificate lists Sadie's father as a William Monaghan - 'builders bricklayer' but doesn't say where either are from. Her death record however told me that Sarah Lowe died in 1974 and her birthday was 18th November 1919. On this information I went to Scotlands People and searched for Sarah Monaghan 1919 (I added give or take a few years just incase) I bought a bunch of credits and checked all available images of the certificates (there was some past 1920 that I couldn't view) and found one with a father listed as a 'William Monaghan' the only one out of the ones I could see. His occupation is listed different here but also could have changed within that time? I'm unsure.

The record lists a William Monaghan as the father, and a Margaret/Maggie McKenna as the mother - unmarried and there's something written under 'W.Monaghan' where other boxes have '(present)' written, can't make out what it says exactly but I'm presuming it's do with him not being present.

I can't be certain if this is my great grandmother but if anyone had any tips or ideas of where I can extend my search would be fantastic, thank you. I have attached the birth record I found to the post also.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 20 15:25 BST (UK) »
Is the person you mention born 1946 still alive?  Rootschat has a no living persons policy so names and details of living persons are not allowed

Under W Monaghan it says father
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jordanamelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Is the person you mention born 1946 still alive?  Rootschat has a no living persons policy so names and details of living persons are not allowed

Under W Monaghan it says father

No they aren't that's why I have no information.
And I know but underneath the word it says another three words which is what I can't make out

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
The three words are Forthview Terrace Newm.... - I can't quite make out the last few letters. This is William Monaghan's address at the time of the birth.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 20 17:31 BST (UK) »

Newmills

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
There is a Newmills near Dunfermline on the River Forth. Hence, the Forthview Terrace.

There is a Maggie McKenna, age 39, living in Torryburn, 1/2 mile from Newmills on 1911 census, married with her husband & children including a Maggie age 4.

1911 also has a William Monaghan in Cowdenbeath, age 13.

Sarah was born in Culross, Fife, about 2 miles from Newmills

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
From the way that 1919 birth cert is written up, it would imply parents William and Margaret were not married at the time of this Sarah's birth.

If they had been married, you would expect to see the date and place of parents' marriage. Also, mother's details would normally be written as: Margaret Monaghan, maiden name (M. S.) McKenna.

I cannot see a marriage for a couple with these names on Scotlands People.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 April 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
Actually, she was born not in the town of Culross itself, but in High Valleyfield in the parish of Culross, which is separated from Newmills in the parish of Torryburn only by the burn which also forms the boundary between Fife and Perthshire there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jordanamelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 01:09 BST (UK) »
There is a Newmills near Dunfermline on the River Forth. Hence, the Forthview Terrace.

There is a Maggie McKenna, age 39, living in Torryburn, 1/2 mile from Newmills on 1911 census, married with her husband & children including a Maggie age 4.

1911 also has a William Monaghan in Cowdenbeath, age 13.

Thank you! Wouldn't have been able to figure that one out, but lovely to put a place to a name now. Very interesting about the 1911 census, I have a strong feeling that is the correct Maggie. Hopefully when the 1921 census becomes available I can pin point Sadie and see if she lived with her mother or father or elsewhere.